Business VOIP Packages

Gabe

2[H]4U
What are some good sites that outline VOIP packages for business with minute plans and equipment, I am trying to formulate my own VOIP page and need to compare :(

http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=163

If you are going to depend on your phone system, it is still better to run a traditional line into your business and then let your VoIP system take care of your internal call handling. VoIP over the internet still has issues.

http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=163

If you are going to depend on your phone system, it is still better to run a traditional line into your business and then let your VoIP system take care of your internal call handling. VoIP over the internet still has issues.

I agree. Core business functions such as telecommunications shouldn't be messed with. Just use the old school POTS and connect it to an IP PBX through PRI or even FXO, so you still get the benefits of an IP phone system without all the headaches of sending your calls over the internet.

What is the most common and simple method (rather product) for deploying this method of VOIP? How do they interface?

I use Asterisk for the VoIP gateway. Digium makes cards to interface with traditional phone systems. They make T1 cards, FXO cards, FXS cards, etc.

Cisco's VOIP products (Call Manager, Phone handsets, Unity (voicemail)) are widely used in large corporations.

Cisco's VOIP products (Call Manager, Phone handsets, Unity (voicemail)) are widely used in large corporations.

And rightly expensive for that reason.

For most people who post here, Asterisk plus a T1/E1/FXO/FXS card/gateway would probably be the best option, considering price a majority of the equation.

And rightly expensive for that reason.

For most people who post here, Asterisk plus a T1/E1/FXO/FXS card/gateway would probably be the best option, considering price a majority of the equation.

Cisco CallManager Express is an option for smaller organizations, and is considerably less expensive than going with a full CallManager setup. There is also an Express version of Unity, and you can run both on the same router. These run on the ISR's starting at the 2801 model.

Cisco CallManager Express is an option for smaller organizations, and is considerably less expensive than going with a full CallManager setup. There is also an Express version of Unity, and you can run both on the same router. These run on the ISR's starting at the 2801 model.

Asterisk is free. Asterisk wins.

j/k nothing wrong with Cisco, as I said, but once you get into the cost of the router, the phones and licensing fees, it's rick-dick-u-lous. 7641g is over $400!!! I'll take a Polycom 430 please.

Although we have been able to save some people money with them thanks to Cisco's 3 yr lease plan that's same as cash.

I think it comes down to whether the system will have a local admin to take care of it or not. Cisco would be more a solo-flier I'd expect; Someone needs to know how to change voicemails and the like, but that's it.

Asterisk really thrives when it has someone to take care of it. Don't misunderstand me in that you need to constantly babysit it; You don't. I have a production system that I haven't touched since I left my last job ( 4+ months now ). But it's more "bare wire"; You have to understand how asterisk works to get it to do what you want. It's hellishly powerful if you do have the know-how.

Costs are a funny thing to calculate at the end of the day. However, as far as initial install and configuration goes, Asterisk is *way* cheaper than Cisco. Especially when paired with the snoms, which are great phones.

Back