Bump this thread if you'd like to see NewEgg carry a half-height/low-profile 8600GT

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I'm trying to see how many people are actually interested in this card!?!?!

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1232&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136

It's a 30 watt card that is an 8600GT PCI-E x16 - PERFECT for small form factor systems.

It is the fastest half-height card currently made, but NOBODY carries it (that I can find, except a single Aussie shop. I'm not looking to buy a computer part from a half-world away.) I'd really like to see NewEgg carry this card. If we can get a bit of interest here I can show our board's NewEgg rep that we've amassed some buying power!

Who's in?

I guess if you need a half height card it's good, but most people here probably don't need half height PCI accessories/VGA cards as the cases we use support full sized PCI accesories.

you would probably get a better response in the HTPC forum.

Newegg has 30+ 8600 GT cards not counting the GTS variants.

It'd be way more useful in the HTPC section.

MoDT computers especially. If it did hardware decoding (does it? I can't recall), and with near 8600GT power... halfheight, MoDT... mmm. I'd hit that.

I don't see many SFF cases that can't fit a regular 8600GT anyways.

Why not just make a poll instead? ;)

can you move this thread to the HTPC section if you think that appropriate???

I thought SFF machines still commonly have half-height needs. Apparently I was mistaken :)

All the HP slimlines do with the micro ATX boards...

I thought SFF machines still commonly have half-height needs. Apparently I was mistaken :)
Judging by most threads here (SFF forum) it's either MATX systems in Microfly-like cases or Shuttle systems.

Either way, this is probably more useful to HTPC use anyways. :)

On that note, I'd totally buy a half height 8600GT. I've been trying to find one for a Mac Mini mod I want to do and I have use for several half height video cards for HTPC projects I'm working on.

Archaea,
Purcahsed the XFX 8400GS card based on your experience. My goal is to connect the PC to my home theatre and connect to a 1080P TV and use for various online video sites and movie downloading. My question is about installing the card. Upon inital install did you uninstall the graphics utilities from the original card and/or did you disable jumper on mainboard. I'm handy, but don't want to mess-up my relatively new machine. Can you give me a quick walk through on the uninstall/install process you were able to accomplish succesfully. It would be greatly appreciated!!

Luckshin,

You must be talking about this thread

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1224011

--- Welcome to [H]ardforum!

I don't worry about uninstalling old Nvidia drivers. I just install the newest over the top...Always works like a champ.

I simply changed the CMOS/BIOS setting (f10 at bootup) to startup using PCI-E as the video card and then saved. Powered down, and then plugged in the card. It came back up in windows...16 bit color and crappy resolution. I then headed out to Nvidia's site and downloaded the newest forceware drivers. installed/rebooted. Perfect.

I checked the device manager --- I see no record whatsoever of the 6150LE hardware. I haven't tried Vista in safemode to see if it's there, but it appears to me that by having a video card in the PCI-E x16 slot the onboard video card gets completly turned off, because the device hardware no longer shows up in the Device Manager.

I didn't change any jumper settings, not even sure there are any jumper settings to change. Where did you read about jumper settings? I suppose it would be nice to ensure the onboard 6150LE is turned off to kill potential power leeching for an un-used/un-needed component if there is a jumper setting to do that.

Been holding out for a while looking for a low-profile card for my Inspiron 531s; the 8600GT is better then the 7600GS(which is probably the best low pro right now) so it'd be worth it.

Back