Bullet opencl physics coming

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
Yes, we are implementing OpenCL Physics and test with all manufacturers (Apple Snow Leopard, NVidia, AMD/ATI, Intel). We already received confidential implementations, but they are not publically available indeed as lvella mentioned. Alternatively, Bullet's MiniCL stub can process the kernels on single or multi-core CPU, for platforms that don't support OpenCL.

Expect some preliminary version around September timeline. This includes simplified versions of broadphase, narrowphase collision detection and constraint solver all running in OpenCL kernels on GPU or CPU. By the end of this year, we drop the simplifications and use the actual Bullet algorithms for the OpenCL kernels.

Thanks,
Erwin
http://www.bulletphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3806&start=0

Now, this is physics that I can fullheartedly support!!! :D It doesn't force me to by any kind of hardware and is just middleware.

I wouldn't necessarily call it vapourware (although it is already September and there is no sign of it yet), but I do have some serious doubts about this project.

As OpenCL won't become public outside OS X until later next year, it'll take up to a year from now until everyone can use it anyway. I'm in the NVidia OpenCL Beta program and we're up to the Conformant Release after a series of Beta releases. There's no telling of when it'll be 'done'. I do think that nVidia will release before AMD, though.

Considering I saw it live and in person, I'd say you're wrong. :rolleyes:

Right now it's just as much vapourware as GPU physics on the 6800 or 7800/7900 series...I saw those "demo" physcis too.
I saw ATi demo GPU physcis too...but it never produced anything realworld.

And considering the the state op OpenCL, it is very much vapourware.

but perhaps you could link me to some titles/software, so I could test this Openbullet OpenCL physics...or not? :)

Right now it's just as much vapourware as GPU physics on the 6800 or 7800/7900 series...I saw those "demo" physcis too.
I saw ATi demo GPU physcis too...but it never produced anything realworld.

And considering the the state op OpenCL, it is very much vapourware.

but perhaps you could link me to some titles/software, so I could test this Openbullet OpenCL physics...or not? :)

You didn't see these "demos" because last time I checked you were nowhere near the ATI event in alameda on the 10th, so you have seen neither the software nor the hardware that was running it, like I did.

http://www.bulletphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3177

Test away. :)

And it's vapourware ;)

Right... :rolleyes:

Pixelux Entertainment develops technology to automate art asset generation, in the form of their Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) product. This is available in several 3D gaming engines on many platforms (Gamebryo LightSpeed and Gamebryo, Trinigy, Ogre, Irrlicht and OIS for Military and Aerospace) as well as a plug-in for Maya, with a plug-in for 3dsMax forthcoming.

Pixelux's DMM technology was used to great effect in the recent LucasArts' titles 'Star Wars: The Force Unleashed' and 'Indiana Jones' and goes beyond rigid physics to soft bodies, deformable and breakable objects.

Following on to this success, Pixelux and AMD have partnered to create a new open physics API for gaming. Under OpenCL and using Pixelux's finite element modelling technology with the Bullet physics libraries, AMD have endorsed and implemented the solution in around two months, working with Sony engineers. This API is simple to use and program to deliver results for game developers. Based on OpenCL it will run on any OpenCL compliant hardware, not just AMD's.
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/vision_eyefinity/index.php?p=6

Back