Building sub-$1000 desktop

Enilder

Limp Gawd
[Adding updated information on 11/18/2013]
I had a lot of help from others (many thanks to Dangman!) and currently have following parts. I am planning to get all the parts by end of November. With new AMD GPU's, I will have to wait and see how it performs...I just need final confirmation from others on following parts before I order any other parts. I am quite sure that I won't get AMD GPU's because of how new it is. But, I am leaving that option open at this point.

GPU: AMD R9 290 Variants...
[Purchased] CPU+MOBO: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU + Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard
[Purchased] CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i
[Purchased] PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Modular PSU
[Purchased] Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0
[Purchased] SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
[Purchased] HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
[Purchased] Case: Corsair 500R
[Purchased] OS: Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit OEM

[End of new information]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been building computers for years but haven't kept up with new hardware releases.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

I am a gamer and a multi-tasker. I heavily play MMO (LoL, WoW, PoE, FFXIV, D3, etc.), watches movies, do photoshop. Plan to do dual or triple monitor setup.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I want to stay below $1300 total (include tax and shipping) but if ~$100 to $200 gets me into much better desktop build, I am in.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
I am in CT, USA so for the first time, I can't use Microcenter.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, MOBO, RAM, Case, GPU, wireless network card for wireless, CPU cooler (air-cooled), PSU, SSD/HDD (I think that's all I need for desktop...what am I missing?)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes. I never done OC but I heard it's easy. I am not sure if I want to OC GPU but I will leave it up to you to comment.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
My gaming laptop is outdated and can't support high resolution monitors so I am building a desktop.

I am going 27" 1440p and eventually to triple. I have my eyes on Qnix QX2710 and Viewsonic VP2770 per NCX's recommendations. If I go VP2770 route, I am getting 1 for the time being. If I go with Qnix QX2710, I am most likely going to get 2. NCX is reviewing BenQ BL2710PT next month so I am thinking of waiting until he reviews that product.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now to end of this year. I am not entirely sure about the ideal time to buy PCs. Do lots of products roll out around this time of the year?

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I am an NVIDIA fan so SLI is a must and something I want to get into. USB 3.0, RAID, SATA, etc. seem to be pretty standard on all MOBO nowadays. Only other thing that I can think of is it has to be OC-able since I am getting OC-able CPU.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I need new OS. I am thinking of sticking with windows 7 64bit unless windows 8 is just THAT GOOD. :p

I found this post on reddit yesterday and it seems quite attractive. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1mla2p/build_help_1100_gaming_rig/

My last year's build for my brother:
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1293xu/need_some_opinions_on_gaming_build_parts_listed/

Additional note:
-I keep my computers for a long time and I plan to upgrade.
-I think I need SLI if I want to go triple monitor route. If I do, my preference is to stay with a single GPU instead of SLI. If there's any reasons why I should go SLI for this build, let me know.
-In terms of cooling (air cooling), expansions, and portability, I think corsair air 540 seems to be pretty good (and saw good reviews on here as well). I personally don't like generic tower cases but open for suggestions.
-Some thoughts on components:
CPU: 4670k appears to be the most common CPU.
GPU: 770 4GB seems nice for a potential SLI build (770 x2). I am an EVGA fan with 0 complaints. I am willing to jump onto different brand if needed.
PSU: I saw lots of builds with seasonic and corsair. As you can see, I built my latest one with corsair with no complaints
RAM: I think 8GB (dual 4GB) should be more than sufficient (potential to add another dual 4GB for 16GB memory)
MOBO: I am biased to ASUS but I've used ASRock.
Storage: I am looking to get 256GB SSD with a reasonable size HDD. I heard Samsung 840pro is really good based on reviews. I am a Seagate fan so leaning towards Seagate HDD.

I may have to edit this first post depending on feedbacks I am getting. I will mark them in color so it's easy to see. Thanks.

Last edited:
First off, is your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate? You see, Home Premium is artificially limited in RAM support to only 16GB maximum total (24GB or 32GB systems will run Home Premium, but only the first 16GB will be recognized).

Second, you will need a more expensive motherboard than what's listed in that Reddit link if you plan to overclock the CPU or do SLI: The Z87-G41, as an entry-level Z87 motherboard, is missing a lot of the overclocking features of its more expensive siblings (for example, it might not have any way at all whatsoever to manually select CPU core voltage), and the quality of its components is lower than on its pricier siblings. Also, since it does not have two PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots at all (only the primary slot runs at PCI-e 3.0 x16 while the secondary slot runs at only PCI-e 2.0 x4), it does not support SLI at all (only AMD CrossFire is supported). SLI requires that both x16 physical slots run at exactly equal bandwidths to even enable SLI at all. That will restrict you to those boards that have two PCI-e 3.0 slots that each run at x8 bandwidth if both slots are in simultaneous use.

Last edited:
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, MOBO, RAM, Case, GPU, wireless network card for wireless, CPU cooler (air-cooled), PSU, SSD/HDD (I think that's all I need for desktop...what am I missing?)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
My gaming laptop is outdated and can't support high resolution monitors so I am building a desktop.

I am going 27" 1440p and eventually to triple. I have my eyes on Qnix QX2710 and Viewsonic VP2770 per NCX's recommendations. If I go VP2770 route, I am getting 1 for the time being. If I go with Qnix QX2710, I am most likely going to get 2. NCX is reviewing BenQ BL2710PT next month so I am thinking of waiting until he reviews that product.
So is the monitor part of that $1300 budget? Also, are you sure you have to use wireless?

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now to end of this year. I am not entirely sure about the ideal time to buy PCs. Do lots of products roll out around this time of the year?
Your time-frame is bit too broad as our hardware recommendations tends to change over time. The only new products coming out this year AFAIK are AMD's new GPUs in October. The only real effect that will have on you is that Nvidia might lower prices on their GPUs if those AMD GPUs are significantly faster than similarily priced Nvidia GPUs.

I found this post on reddit yesterday and it seems quite attractive. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1mla2p/build_help_1100_gaming_rig/
In addition to the issues that E4g1e brought up, if you're going with SLI, you should get a higher quality PSU than that CX600 to handle that load better. PLus, that RAM is incompatible with an Intel setup.

Also, looking at your brother's build list, I could see four piss poor values with that setup as well. This is why I tend to tell people IRL to avoid going to r/buildapc.

-I think I need SLI if I want to go triple monitor route. If I do, my preference is to stay with a single GPU instead of SLI. If there's any reasons why I should go SLI for this build, let me know.
Yeah you're going to need SLI for triple monitors because there isn't a single reasonably priced single GPU that'll be enough to power games using all three monitors unless you're playing older and/or lower-end games.
RAM: I think 8GB (dual 4GB) should be more than sufficient (potential to add another dual 4GB for 16GB memory).
Not a good idea since you're apparently a big multi-tasker. You want to aim for a single 8GB or dual 8GB RAM set to start with. That way you'll have room to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, assuming that you're going with Windows 7 Pro or regular Windows 8.

Also, how often do you use photoshop?

First off, is your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate? You see, Home Premium is artificially limited in RAM support to only 16GB maximum total (24GB or 32GB systems will run Home Premium, but only the first 16GB will be recognized).

Second, you will need a more expensive motherboard than what's listed in that Reddit link if you plan to overclock the CPU or do SLI: The Z87-G41, as an entry-level Z87 motherboard, is missing a lot of the overclocking features of its more expensive siblings (for example, it might not have any way at all whatsoever to manually select CPU core voltage), and the quality of its components is lower than on its pricier siblings. Also, since it does not have two PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots at all (only the primary slot runs at PCI-e 3.0 x16 while the secondary slot runs at only PCI-e 2.0 x4), it does not support SLI at all (only AMD CrossFire is supported). SLI requires that both x16 physical slots run at exactly equal bandwidths to even enable SLI at all. That will restrict you to those boards that have two PCI-e 3.0 slots that each run at x8 bandwidth if both slots are in simultaneous use.

Home premium is what I currently have but I don't plan on reusing this one since it came with my laptop. Can I ask why you need to ask this?

What do you suggest for mobo?

So is the monitor part of that $1300 budget? Also, are you sure you have to use wireless?

Your time-frame is bit too broad as our hardware recommendations tends to change over time. The only new products coming out this year AFAIK are AMD's new GPUs in October. The only real effect that will have on you is that Nvidia might lower prices on their GPUs if those AMD GPUs are significantly faster than similarily priced Nvidia GPUs.

In addition to the issues that E4g1e brought up, if you're going with SLI, you should get a higher quality PSU than that CX600 to handle that load better. PLus, that RAM is incompatible with an Intel setup.

Also, looking at your brother's build list, I could see four piss poor values with that setup as well. This is why I tend to tell people IRL to avoid going to r/buildapc.

Yeah you're going to need SLI for triple monitors because there isn't a single reasonably priced single GPU that'll be enough to power games using all three monitors unless you're playing older and/or lower-end games.

Not a good idea since you're apparently a big multi-tasker. You want to aim for a single 8GB or dual 8GB RAM set to start with. That way you'll have room to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, assuming that you're going with Windows 7 Pro or regular Windows 8.

Also, how often do you use photoshop?

Monitor is not part of the budget. I can run it wired...Not a big deal. I am just spoiled by my laptops (wireless). Let's go wired then!

I specified a long time period since I don't know if there are any groundbreaking products that are coming out within couple months. I never used AMD products so I can't comment how good they will be. Are people looking forward to these new AMD products (GPU)?

I know my brother's build list is dated but care to comment about what was poorly chosen? Also, I didn't know about this forum until recently.

I rarely use photoshop but I am not seeing the connection between the frequency and the build itself. :confused:

Home premium is what I currently have but I don't plan on reusing this one since it came with my laptop. Can I ask why you need to ask this?
Well, we both missed the fact that you needed a new OS key altogether. So he technically didn't need to ask that question. For a new OS, just go with Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1.
What do you suggest for mobo?
I would look at these motherboards:
$140 - Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard
$160 - MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87 Motherboard

Monitor is not part of the budget. I can run it wired...Not a big deal. I am just spoiled by my laptops (wireless). Let's go wired then!
Yeah you're gonna get better online gaming performance that way.
I specified a long time period since I don't know if there are any groundbreaking products that are coming out within couple months. I never used AMD products so I can't comment how good they will be. Are people looking forward to these new AMD products (GPU)?
AMD fanboys and those who don't really have an alligenace to either companies are looking forward to those new AMD GPUs. Like I said, besides that, nothing really ground breaking. So if you're going to stick with Nvidia, you can buy your new setup this month and still be fine. But if you want to check out AMD, then wait another month and a half before you start doing more research.

So what will it be? Buy within the month or in a month and a half from now?

I know my brother's build list is dated but care to comment about what was poorly chosen? Also, I didn't know about this forum until recently.
1) The OCZ SSD: OCZ has rather poor customer support and are apparently going through a bit of financial trouble. So there's a possiblity that the company will collapse/end/fail before the warranty of the SSD is up.
2) There are significantly better quality cases out there for the same price as that Azza Solano 1000 case.
3) The HSF is pretty overpriced since it's outperformed by the cheaper $28 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ HSF in cooling.
4) The RAM's heatsinks will interfere with the installation of many 3rd party air coolers.

I rarely use photoshop but I am not seeing the connection between the frequency and the build itself. :confused:
Because a heavy photoshop user would require a different storage setup and possibly different GPUs than a gaming only setup. Since you mentioned Photoshop, I had to see whether or not you were a heavy photoshop user. That's the connection.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, we both missed the fact that you needed a new OS key altogether. So he technically didn't need to ask that question. For a new OS, just go with Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1.

I would look at these motherboards:
$140 - Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard
$160 - MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87 Motherboard

Yeah you're gonna get better online gaming performance that way.

AMD fanboys and those who don't really have an alligenace to either companies are looking forward to those new AMD GPUs. Like I said, besides that, nothing really ground breaking. So if you're going to stick with Nvidia, you can buy your new setup this month and still be fine. But if you want to check out AMD, then wait another month and a half before you start doing more research.

So what will it be? Buy within the month or in a month and a half from now?

1) The OCZ SSD: OCZ has rather poor customer support and are apparently going through a bit of financial trouble. So there's a possiblity that the company will collapse/end/fail before the warranty of the SSD is up.
2) There are significantly better quality cases out there for the same price as that Azza Solano 1000 case.
3) The HSF is pretty overpriced since it's outperformed by the cheaper $28 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ HSF in cooling.
4) The RAM's heatsinks will interfere with the installation of many 3rd party air coolers.

Because a heavy photoshop user would require a different storage setup and possibly different GPUs than a gaming only setup. Since you mentioned Photoshop, I had to see whether or not you were a heavy photoshop user. That's the connection.

-Going to get Windows 7 Pro.
-I am biased to ASUS products when it comes down to motherboards. Do you have personal experience with either of them and what's your preference (others can feel free to comment).
-I will stick with NVIDIA. Not too crazy about crossfire anyways.
-I use PS less than 20% of my time. Personally, I don't think this is relevant for this build thread but I still wanted to list it.

Now, OT old build comments (THIS IS NOT A PART OF THIS BUILD THREAD):
-At the time, AFAIK, it was one of highly reviewed product. I also had PSU RMA with them and it was smooth.
-The case was purely based on CFM and seemed pretty good vs. HAF X. It runs extremely cool and I have no complaint there neither.
-HSF, not sure what the reason behind it but I know about CM Hyper 212+...Don't remember why I decided to go with Zalman...
-I don't recall any interference with RAM and third party air coolers...

Thanks!

-I am biased to ASUS products when it comes down to motherboards. Do you have personal experience with either of them and what's your preference (others can feel free to comment).
I haven't used either motherboards yet. Just recommending them based on reviews here at HardOCP

Assuming that you're willing to go over your $1300 budget
$360 - Intel Core i5-4670K CPU + Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard Newegg Combo
$56 - Crucial CT102464BA1339 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$460 - eVGA 04G-P4-3774-KR GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB PCI-E Video Card
$100 - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD
$63 - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$20 - LG GH24NS95B DVD Burner
$110 - Corsair HX750 750W Modular PSU
$55 - Thermaltake Frio HSF
$125 - Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit OEM
---
Total: $1350 shipped

Notes:
- Honestly you would be fine with 8GB of RAM for the time being. However, RAM prices have been going up over the past few months. So I would recommend getting as much RAM as possible in order to not have to overpay in the future:
$119 - Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

- Yes I did leave out the case as thats something you should choose for yourself. With that said, I highly recommend the following cases:
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$110 - Antec 1100 ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7HX Black Aluminum ATX Case
$105 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$150 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$170 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$168 - Silverstone TJ04B-EW ATX Case
$167 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case
$250 - Silverstone FT02S-W-USB3.0 ATX Case
$245 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW ATX Case
Now, OT old build comments (THIS IS NOT A PART OF THIS BUILD THREAD):
-At the time, AFAIK, it was one of highly reviewed product. I also had PSU RMA with them and it was smooth.
-The case was purely based on CFM and seemed pretty good vs. HAF X. It runs extremely cool and I have no complaint there neither.
-HSF, not sure what the reason behind it but I know about CM Hyper 212+...Don't remember why I decided to go with Zalman...
-I don't recall any interference with RAM and third party air coolers...

Thanks!
- Highly reviewed yes. But anyone who did their research would have seen OCZ's past history of customer support. Yes you had a good experience with them but thats one experience versus the many experiences other [H]Forum members have had with OCZ
- I guess if you've never looked at better cases, that Azza Solano cases does look ok.
- As for the RAM, that's possibly due to you placing the the RAM as far as possible from the HSF and/or how tall the Zalman HSF (one of the few good things about the Zalman HSF).

What are your thoughts on 256GB SSD? I was thinking Samsung 840 Pro. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NB8WRU/?tag=extension-kb-20

I just found out that Crucial is by Micron Tech. Wow...

Leaning towards Corsair C70...or carbide 400R. Do they have sufficient room for 2 GTX 770? Looks like C70 is more roomier than 400R but dimensions are about the same. What about Corsair air 540?

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on 256GB SSD? I was thinking Samsung 840 Pro. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NB8WRU/?tag=extension-kb-20
If you can afford that SSD without having to cut corners in the rest of the build, then yes go for it. Otherwise, the cheaper Samsung 840 and 840 Evo 250GB SSDs are good choices for the money.

Leaning towards Corsair C70...or carbide 400R. Do they have sufficient room for 2 GTX 770? Looks like C70 is more roomier than 400R but dimensions are about the same.
Both cases should work for two GTX 770. But I'd go for the 500R due to the extra fans.
What about Corsair air 540?
It's a good case but just looks very fugly to me. If you don't mind the looks, the Corsair AIR 540 is a solid case:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/07/corsair_carbide_series_air_540_computer_case_review/1

CPU+MOBO: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU + Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard Newegg Combo
Memory: Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GPU: eVGA 04G-P4-3774-KR GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB PCI-E Video Card
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
PSU: Corsair HX750 750W Modular PSU
HSF: Thermaltake Frio HSF
Case: Corsair 500R

Total: ~$1400 shipped
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumping this thread. I couldn't order my computer last month. Anyways, just got Corsair 500R case. I am going to microcenter end of next month to finish building the computer. For the most part, I think I have a good overall setup but I'd like to get a final confirmation.

Also, for GPU, I've been reading about AMD's 290x and it is definitely out of my budget. However, is 280x worth looking into? Thanks.

CPU+MOBO: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU + Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard Newegg Combo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumping this thread. I couldn't order my computer last month. Anyways, just got Corsair 500R case. I am going to microcenter end of next month to finish building the computer. For the most part, I think I have a good overall setup but I'd like to get a final confirmation.

Also, for GPU, I've been reading about AMD's 290x and it is definitely out of my budget. However, is 280x worth looking into? Thanks.

AMD has yet to release an official price for the 290x, wait till tomorrow and you will know for certain. Anything you have read about the AMD 290 series is 95% speculation at this point as they have not released any information to the public as of yet.

290x prices are suppose to be released tomorrow (October 24) while the non x series is on the 31st i believe, So if you don mind waiting another week you can make certain :)

AMD has yet to release an official price for the 290x, wait till tomorrow and you will know for certain. Anything you have read about the AMD 290 series is 95% speculation at this point as they have not released any information to the public as of yet.

290x prices are suppose to be released tomorrow (October 24) while the non x series is on the 31st i believe, So if you don mind waiting another week you can make certain :)

Oh yeah, the build completion date will be end of Nov. I saw a amazon price of 290x to be ~$700...

Oh yeah, the build completion date will be end of Nov. I saw a amazon price of 290x to be ~$700...

Like I said, any numbers you see are pretty much place holders until they recieve the official word, because if you look around some sites are even listing it at around $535. So just wait a day, won't due you any harm and you can confirm it yourself that way too. Rest assured the "video card" section of the threat will be spammed by AMD posts tommorow ;)

Then wait until the end of next month to ask for confirmation as our recommendations do change based on price. Price that changes quite often. For example, at certain prices that HX750 isn't a good buy.

Then wait until the end of next month to ask for confirmation as our recommendations do change based on price. Price that changes quite often. For example, at certain prices that HX750 isn't a good buy.

I am buying parts now. The only reason why I wrote end of Nov is because of my visit to microcenter (CPU + MOBO...maybe other parts if they are cheaper). There are deals here and there like the case I just bought so I'd like to finalize the part list. I hope I am making sense here.

As you stated earlier, the only variable is GPU IMO. Can you elaborate on HX750 though? I see HX750 on sale for $79.99 time to time.

Thanks.

I am buying parts now. The only reason why I wrote end of Nov is because of my visit to microcenter (CPU + MOBO...maybe other parts if they are cheaper). There are deals here and there like the case I just bought so I'd like to finalize the part list. I hope I am making sense here.
I kinda get what you're saying but I generally don't recommend that path as it does lock you into selecting parts that may not be good for the money later on.

With that said, with the exception of the GPU, the system you've posted is a good buy for this month. However I can't say if it will be a good build next month as there may be better deals then.

However, right now would be the best time to get that RAM as it's $120 with free shipping from Amazon.com:
$120 - Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Considering that 8GB of RAM is around $70 right now and climing and thats $120 for 16GB of RAM, that's a pretty good deal and more than likely one of the better RAM deals you'll get.

As you stated earlier, the only variable is GPU IMO.
RAM, PSU, HSF, case, and ocassionally the motherboard (if buying online) are pretty variable in pricing. Speakling of case, it wasn't too long ago that the 500R was priced at $130, making it a not-so-good buy.
Can you elaborate on HX750 though? I see HX750 on sale for $79.99 time to time.
Fairly sure that's the rebate price. You want to look at the up-front cost of the PSU as rebates are not guaranteed. In the case of the HX750, its normal pricing is usually around $130 or so with the occasional drop to $110. If the HX750 is more than $130, it's not that good of a buy since the higher quality AX760 is $160. Yes that extra quality is well worth the full $30 over the HX750. Hence why the HX750 should be bought at no higher than $130. However there's been quite a few times in the past year when the higher quality Seasonic X750 750W PSU was around $100 to $120, making the HX750 a bad buy in those cases. On some occasions, the HX850 was the same price as the HX750, again making the HX750 a bad buy. Not to mention the occasional deal on the Seasonic X650 where it was $80 to $100, again making it a better buy than the HX750.

Update, I picked up Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for $200 from Newegg 2 days ago, and just picked up HDD (ST1000DM003) for 57.99.

Now, I see so many posts about 290x that it actually is very temping to buy but it's pushing the limit in terms of budget. For 2x 290x or 2x titan (or 780), will HX750 be sufficient? I am guessing that I will need something in the order of 1000W+ PSU. What I am trying to avoid is buying an another PSU because it can't supply enough power. Am I safe to assume that the only limitation is the cost of the PSU? Do PSU's actually get significant upgrades over time like GPUs/CPUs? I have very limited knowledge about PSU technologies so please educate me.

For MOBO, after looking at the following post (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039930756&postcount=2), I am thinking Z87 Pro for built-in wireless capability and sound card. Are these worth extra bucks or should I skip it? Maximus Hero is also within this price range and appears to have better reviews.

Last edited:
Now, I see so many posts about 290x that it actually is very temping to buy but it's pushing the limit in terms of budget. For 2x 290x or 2x titan (or 780), will HX750 be sufficient? I am guessing that I will need something in the order of 1000W+ PSU.
For the latter two (GTX Titan or GTX 780 SLI), that HX750 is more than enough. However, for 290X CFX, I'd definitely recommend looking at a 850W PSU at a minimum but preferably a 1000W PSU, For any single GPU setup however, you'll be fine with a solid 550W PSU.
Am I safe to assume that the only limitation is the cost of the PSU? Do PSU's actually get significant upgrades over time like GPUs/CPUs?
The only real upgrades PSUs get over time is higher quality and/or more quality at a lower price. If you had bought an extremely high quality PSU back in 2007, it probably would be good enough for a system in 2013.

[edit] I found out that there will be price cuts...Should I 780? :)
Go with whatever company you feel most comfortable with.

For MOBO, I am thinking Z87-Pro over Asus Z87-A for built-in wireless feature and sound card. Is it worth the price? I really don't see any other benefits besides this.

For PSU, I will look out for Seasonic X750 750W PSU and AX760. If it's around 79.99 (lowest I've seen for Corsair HX750 750W Modular PSU), I will get Seasonic or AX760.

Will I run into any clearance issue with Thermaltake Frio HSF?

I decided to get Windows 8 Professional 64bit OEM instead of Windows 7. I honestly don't see the benefit of getting Windows 7 unless I will run into any sort of compatibility issues.

Other than those items, 4670K and GPU seem to be a solid choice (especially after the price reduction on NVIDIA parts). Out of curiosity, what's a better buy between the followings?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...CX_Cooler_4096MB_GDDR5_PCIe_x16_30_Video_Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

For MOBO, I am thinking Z87-Pro over Asus Z87-A for built-in wireless feature and sound card. Is it worth the price? I really don't see any other benefits besides this.

I don't believe that the Z87-Pro is worth the price premium. You can buy a separate wireless adapter for less and have it work just as well. As for the sound card, onboard sound nowadays has become good enough for most people's needs.

For PSU, I will look out for Seasonic X750 750W PSU and AX760. If it's around 79.99 (lowest I've seen for Corsair HX750 750W Modular PSU), I will get Seasonic or AX760.

You're not going to find either of those power supplies for less than $100. They occasionally go on sale for around $110 (X750) or $120 (AX760), but you have to be very alert. You may be better served looking for the HX750 instead, which goes on sale more often (and oftentimes at lower prices) than either PSU.

If you want a good yet relatively inexpensive 750 watt power supply, consider the Rosewill CAPSTONE instead.

Will I run into any clearance issue with Thermaltake Frio HSF?

Not if you buy RAM with low profile heatspreaders (like the G.Skill Ares or the Crucial Ballistix Sport).

I decided to get Windows 8 Professional 64bit OEM instead of Windows 7. I honestly don't see the benefit of getting Windows 7 unless I will run into any sort of compatibility issues.

Out of curiosity, what does Windows 8 Pro has over "plain" Windows 8 (for your needs)?

Other than those items, 4670K and GPU seem to be a solid choice (especially after the price reduction on NVIDIA parts). Out of curiosity, what's a better buy between the followings?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...CX_Cooler_4096MB_GDDR5_PCIe_x16_30_Video_Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

Based on price, the NewEgg card.

But why not consider the HD 7970? It's competitive with the more expensive GTX 770 in BF4 benchmarks.

Z87-Pro is 154.99 AR at the moment (http://www.microcenter.com/product/414759/Z87_Pro_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard). If this is still not worth the price, I will just get Z87-A.

For memory, would you consider this as a low profile memory? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG9EEW/?tag=hardfocom-20

I can get Windows 8 Pro if I want to, so I decided to get it. Personally, I think regular Windows 8 will do everything that I need to do.

GTX 770 isn't that expensive IMO. I've always used NVIDIA products so I am just biased. I was considering R9 series (290x or 280x) but after NVIDIA's price reduction, I decided against AMD products. GTX 770 just sold for $319.99 through microcenter. I hope this deal comes back so I can pick that up instead of the "newegg" card. To me, specs are very similar between the two (microcenter one is slightly better).

Z87-Pro is 154.99 AR at the moment (http://www.microcenter.com/product/414759/Z87_Pro_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard). If this is still not worth the price, I will just get Z87-A.
We don't factor in MIR in this sub-forum untill you actually get that rebate for obvious reasons. So at its upgrfont price, the Z87 Pro is not worth it.
For memory, would you consider this as a low profile memory? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG9EEW/?tag=hardfocom-20
Yup

GTX 770 isn't that expensive IMO. I've always used NVIDIA products so I am just biased. I was considering R9 series (290x or 280x) but after NVIDIA's price reduction, I decided against AMD products. GTX 770 just sold for $319.99 through microcenter. I hope this deal comes back so I can pick that up instead of the "newegg" card. To me, specs are very similar between the two (microcenter one is slightly better).
Good luck with that. Unfortunately, good and proper BF4 multiplayer benchmarks haven't come out yet so it's still a gamble as to which GPU platform to go with. Especially with AMD's Mantle tech coming up...

If I decide to go for a racing simulator (triple monitor setup), is there a particular setup that I should go for? I don't know what's go special about BF4 that makes it a go-to benchmarking software. I enjoy playing FPS games too but I am not that knowledgeable about it in terms of graphic performance.

My guess is that 2 x GTX 770 4GB (2 side monitors into 1 GPU, 1 monitor into another GPU) should be the ideal case. In particular, I am looking into Project CARS (http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/). This looks so sweet!

I would get the Biostar Hi-Fi z87W or X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138381
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138380

Very solid boards at a good price point.Sturdier for OCing than z87-A.Very nice boards.
http://valid.canardpc.com/2897134

I guess the RAM will be OK..It's Hynix i bet..just remember Haswell will run RAM as fast as the RAM will go...
as for GPU..eh..that's a personal choice..
I'm not picky,I am liking my "new" 7950; It plays anything on highest..with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I decide to go for a racing simulator (triple monitor setup), is there a particular setup that I should go for?
Depends on the game. UNfortunately Project CARS is still very much a game in development so performance requirements is a bit hard to narrow down. Hell I can't find info whether or not it actually scales with multiple GPUs.
I don't know what's go special about BF4 that makes it a go-to benchmarking software.
Because if a system can run BF4 well, it meanas that there is a better chance of that system running other games at better setting. BF4 is recommended as the standard as it's one of the next-gen PC games. It also exhibits behavior that might be trends in future games like amount of VRAM used, sensitivity to RAM speeds, multi-thread scaling, etc.

Thanks. I am actually leaning towards liquid-cooled system. I was mainly afraid of its durability but it seems to be pretty solid. I take my computer with me couple times year and I was always afraid of something breaking (spilling liquid all over the parts). Is Corsair H100 the way to go? I am sticking with all the parts listed in the first post EXCEPT CPU cooler (thermaltake frio). Any recommendations?

I'm scared to post anything..
h100 would be OK..bong cooler would be better. .
Same model #s..Yes..same.

I'd go with the Corsair H80i since it's easier to install than the H100i.

As for the RAM, take advantage of this deal ASAP:
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB
DDR3-1600
CAS 8
1.35v
ultra low profile
$55.24 shipped with promo code EMCWWXW232, ends 11/7

I'd go with the Corsair H80i since it's easier to install than the H100i.

As for the RAM, take advantage of this deal ASAP:
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB
DDR3-1600
CAS 8
1.35v
ultra low profile
$55.24 shipped with promo code EMCWWXW232, ends 11/7

I am picking up 2 so should I get sport or tactical? Not sure if there's much perf. difference...

Regarding your H100i comment, the installation process seems straight forward...What made you say that it's easier? I am not new to building computers. Considering that it's a closed-loop pre-assembled system, it can't be harder than screwing a bolt or two.

I am picking up 2 so should I get sport or tactical? Not sure if there's much perf. difference...

Dangman is recommending that you buy two of the Ballistix Tactical LP sticks. I agree with him.

The Ballistix Tactical LP sticks have better timings (8-8-8-24) and run at a lower voltage (1.35V) than the Ballistix Sport RAM (9-9-9-24, 1.5V). Plus, the promo code (which stacks, BTW) makes the two Ballistix Tactical LP sticks cheaper than the Ballistix Sport sticks.

Regarding your H100i comment, the installation process seems straight forward...What made you say that it's easier? I am not new to building computers. Considering that it's a closed-loop pre-assembled system, it can't be harder than screwing a bolt or two.

You only have to deal with one 120mm fan mount with the H80i versus two 120mm fan mounts with the H100i. That limits the number of (relatively inexpensive) cases you could use the H100i on.

Then again, it's a moot point with you and your Corsair 500R. The H100i is better performance-wise than the H80i.

Last edited:
Dangman is recommending that you buy two of the Ballistix Tactical LP sticks. I agree with him.

The Ballistix Tactical LP sticks have better timings (8-8-8-24) and run at a lower voltage (1.35V) than the Ballistix Sport RAM (9-9-9-24, 1.5V). Plus, the promo code (which stacks, BTW) makes the two Ballistix Tactical LP sticks cheaper than the Ballistix Sport sticks.

You only have to deal with one 120mm fan mount with the H80i versus two 120mm fan mounts with the H100i. That limits the number of (relatively inexpensive) cases you could use the H100i on.

Then again, it's a moot point with you and your Corsair 500R. The H100i is better performance-wise than the H80i.

Ah, got it. I just purchased 2 Tacticals (Thanks!).

As I am looking into liquid coolers, I see H110 being a better performer than H100i in terms of noise, temperature, etc. Price differences are negligible. Also, do people typically use aftermarket thermal paste?

Also, feel free to add any other CPU cooler option (liquid cooled). Thanks!

Choose whichever CPU cooler you prefer. You don't need to use any third-party thermal compound; the stuff that Corsair provides is good enough.

I've worked with both liquid coolers (and their variations) and I've always found it easier to install the H80i. In addition to what Tiraides said, it's also a lot easier to hold the H80i on one hand while you're trying to screw it in with the other. Also, getting the H80i into the case is bit less awkward than the H100i. In your specific case as well as many others I've found, it looks like while you're holding the H100i, you'll also have to line up the fans on top and hope you aligned the fans correctly for an accurate installation. This is because the same screws that holds the fans will also be holding the liquid cooler. Compare that to the H80i or its variations where you can just intall it directly to the rear fan: just remove two fan screws diagonally from each other while leaving the other two screws alone. Then use the included long screws to install the H80i directly to the rear fan. Since the rear fan is already being held by two screws, you don't have to worry about the fan being incorrectly lined up.

You can see what I mean with this picture of the 500R with the H100i:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2012/02/corsair-graphite-500r-review/11-1280x1024.jpg

You can also see from that picture that due to the fact that there's a PC inside the case, you only can screw it in in three places.

But all that extra bit of work and awkward installation does get you better cooling.

Choose whichever CPU cooler you prefer. You don't need to use any third-party thermal compound; the stuff that Corsair provides is good enough.

This is my first time building a liquid-cooled system so I don't have preferences. Good to know that I don't need any third-party thermal compound!

This is my first time building a liquid-cooled system so I don't have preferences. Good to know that I don't need third-party thermal compound!
I've worked with both liquid coolers (and their variations) and I've always found it easier to install the H80i. In addition to what Tiraides said, it's also a lot easier to hold the H80i on one hand while you're trying to screw it in with the other. Also, getting the H80i into the case is bit less awkward than the H100i. In your specific case as well as many others I've found, it looks like while you're holding the H100i, you'll also have to line up the fans on top and hope you aligned the fans correctly for an accurate installation. This is because the same screws that holds the fans will also be holding the liquid cooler. Compare that to the H80i or its variations where you can just intall it directly to the rear fan: just remove two fan screws diagonally from each other while leaving the other two screws alone. Then use the included long screws to install the H80i directly to the rear fan. Since the rear fan is already being held by two screws, you don't have to worry about the fan being incorrectly lined up.

You can see what I mean with this picture of the 500R with the H100i:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2012/02/corsair-graphite-500r-review/11-1280x1024.jpg

You can also see from that picture that due to the fact that there's a PC inside the case, you only can screw it in in three places.

But all that extra bit of work and awkward installation does get you better cooling.

Challenge_Accepted.PNG

Only thing that I can't understand is the fact that you can only use 3 screws to hold them in place. If I am understanding this correctly, I think I can use all 8 screws to secure them. Do you personally have preferences between 100i vs. 110?

Challenge_Accepted.PNG

Only thing that I can't understand is the fact that you can only use 3 screws to hold them in place. If I am understanding this correctly, I think I can use all 8 screws to secure them.
I'll have to retract that statement. I was thinking of a different case where you had to screw in from the bottom, not the top. But yes you can use all 8 screws.
Do you personally have preferences between 100i vs. 110?
To me, it comes down whichever is cheapest. Some days it's the 110. Others, the 100i.

Back