Building an Uber Battlestation... Eyefinity and Futureproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Building an Uber Battlestation... Eyefinity and Futureproofing

Guys I could really use some help in tweaking my build. Specifically, what needs improving and where can I trim and go less OTT?

Here is my build at the moment:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£410.99 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£69.85 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard (£162.99 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Performance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£306.77 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£87.45 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£321.64 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Hydro Copper 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)
or
R9 290 x 3

Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case (£286.12 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power
Supply (£131.65 @ Dabs)

Total: £2617.42

Plus

Monitors: 3 x Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB)

Stand: Digitus Triple Desktop Monitor Stand -£136.84

Watercooling Kit:
XSPC Raystorm D5 EX420 Water Cooling Kit : D5 EX Series Kit by XSPC - £319.77

Fans: Compucase CF-V12HP Cougar Fan with Hydro-Dynamic Bearing,MTBF300,000hrs and Auto Sensor Control - £144.49

Questions Please:
1) Which graphic cards would you run wiht for the 3 monitors so that everything can be played maxed out for at least the next 12 months

2) Which specs would you change?

3) Will the watercooling kit do the job to cool everything listed above?

My game usage is as follows:
60% FPS
25% Strategy (Company of Heroes, Civ 5...)
15% 3rd person Elder Scrolls, WOW, Splinter Cell, Assasins Creed

Thanks for the help!

Why do you need a 4930K if you're only concerned with gaming?

Why do you need 32GB RAM if you're only concerned with gaming?

Just get one large SSD.

You might want to consider adding a nice storage drive or array.

Why do you need a 4930K if you're only concerned with gaming?

Why do you need 32GB RAM if you're only concerned with gaming?

Just get one large SSD.

You might want to consider adding a nice storage drive or array.

From my expeirence the one thing I rarely upgrade over the years is the processor, so I was simply wanting to future proof. With future proofing in mind is this still overkill? If so what would you recommend?

Regarding the RAM, I suspected this was overkill but I again I was future proofing. What would you suggest?

Thanks

Well, since most games these days still barely make use of dual cores after all this time the chance of games a few years down the road utilizing 6 cores or more is probably slim to none.

You'd be fine with 8GB RAM but I would personally go with 16GB (2x8GB). Unless you're doing some serious memory intensive processes such as video editing 32GB is way overkill. By the time 32GB becomes useful to gaming DDR4 will probably have been out a while.

Well, since most games these days still barely make use of dual cores after all this time the chance of games a few years down the road utilizing 6 cores or more is probably slim to none.

You'd be fine with 8GB RAM but I would personally go with 16GB (2x8GB). Unless you're doing some serious memory intensive processes such as video editing 32GB is way overkill. By the time 32GB becomes useful to gaming DDR4 will probably have been out a while.

Actually games are starting to utilize multiple cores now. While still not enough to justify the costs of more cores right now, but in the near future we may see games utilizing multiple cores a lot more efficiently. Especially since the latest round of consoles are all x86 based multiple core processors, even shitty console ports might not only require multiple cores but will run better with more cores.

Do I I think the OP needs a 6 core Intel processor? Not really, no.

Do I think the OP needs 32GB of DDR3 1866 RAM. Not at all. If the OP wanted 32GB of memory he should go with DDR3 1600 at the most.

As for GPU, for 3 displays and you want to max out games for the next 12 months then get the 3x 290 GPUs.

Ok based on what you guys have said I will go with a 4770K

I will go with 16GB if 32GB is overkill. May I ask please, what specific RAM you recommend (please remember future proofing)?

Also here in the the 290x is priced less than the 780 Hydro Copper so maybe 2 x 290x is the way to go. Does anyone make a liquid cooled 290x? The noise from some of these GPU fans are hard to bare.

780 hydro copper = £489 Each
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...ed=0CE8QpiswAA

MSI 290x = £396
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...d=0CIUBEKYrMAI

290 = £299
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...d=0CIwBEKYrMAI

I am thinking of doing an upgrade myself and would choose the 4770K and G.Skill Sniper (model doesn't matter much) 2x8GB DDR3 1600 if I were to go through with it.

As far as GPUs are concerned I don't know enough at the moment to do a proper recommendation, although I believe the GTX 780 in SLI would be better for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back