Building an HD streaming machine

Archer1212

[H]F Junkie
I already have a nice case for this, as well as a hard drive, PSU, and I don't need a DVD-Rom drive at this time since it will just be streaming my HD rips. I just wanted to get some advice on the more knowledgeable HTPC people in here.

Currently my plan is to just buy the motherboard, Processor, and RAM then go from there. I will be running it wired on my 10/100 switch and just stream through windows shares using VLC.

I will be using the onboard video from this motherboard. as well as the audio.
I will also have this processor and 1gb of ram.

Will this do HD streaming from my PC well enough? Should I get a video card or faster processor or more ram? Should I run vista ultimate, XP MCE? Xp pro? I really just planned on running XP pro.

If the PC can playback the media locally then your golden. 100Mbit Ethernet is more then enough to stream even 1080p x264 rips. FWIW, i stream 2 at a time on my 100Mb connection around my house.

Wait. Is this system what your streaming too or what is doing the streaming? Also, the 780G Gigabyte board is a better choice but that one is pretty decent too.

Wait. Is this system what your streaming too or what is doing the streaming? Also, the 780G Gigabyte board is a better choice but that one is pretty decent too.
this is what I will be streaming to. My main PC has all of my HD content and I would like to be able to watch the movies in the bedroom where the HD display is.

You should be fine. The processor should be able to decode any HD material you throw at it.

I'd get a total of 2GB of RAM and Vista Home Premium. Vista MCE = nice.

Back