Building a Surge Protector into your box?

thats a neat idea only...wheres his power supply and what happened to the front of that case?

if you have a big case like an enermax server like case or something you could fit a few plugs up above the power supply...

or you could try to rewire an old power supply because alot of them had plugs in them but only one...i have one that has a plug like that

looks like he put his psu in the front
look at pic 2 and 3 see that box thats the power supply

would you have to sheild the power strip. Would this mess with the rest of your gear?

I wonder if the main reason for that is to get the power supply away from hovering over (hiding) the proc/heatsink, and not have a gaping hole left over. I had a case with that style of ps mount and I am sure it sucks if you have a window (I didn't even bother).

I know you really want to do it, but i'm telling you, its a terrible idea. EMF all over the place. Just buy a power strip and ziptie it to the back of your case and youre good to go. better yet, get a small UPS and attach it to the top of your case (warning: theyre heavy as hell)

Originally posted by kronchev
I know you really want to do it, but i'm telling you, its a terrible idea. EMF all over the place. Just buy a power strip and ziptie it to the back of your case and youre good to go. better yet, get a small UPS and attach it to the top of your case (warning: theyre heavy as hell)

Since they're heavy, I'd recommend attaching to the bottom of the case if it's big enough (IE, APC 1000 series are roughly the same size as the base of a mid-tower case.) Or, fab your own case for the UPS and make it match your case (like those vapo-chill cases for the lian-li's)

There would be ways to get rid of any interference right? Im sure it can be done, Ive had this idea for months and months, just picked up my dremel today to complete my mod... =/.

build it into your box and then shield it with either aluminum, steel, or copper. I believe copper will work best for stopping EMI, but I could be wrong (someone will surely correct me).

anyway, just make the shield around the entire surge strip with cutouts for the recepticles.

get the gold kind and it'll look like you snagged it off of one of Nasa's satellites...:eek:

Originally posted by nst6563
get the gold kind and it'll look like you snagged it off of one of Nasa's satellites...:eek:

haha I want to make a mars lander-themed case now

maybe itll also have a button that makes airbags explode out of it as well...

Back