Building a new system.

FLAWLESS

n00b
Sold my computer to a friend. Im looking to build another AMD but i am puzzeled Its seems Intel have AMD beat. AM2 VS Conroe. Im looking for the best gaming motherboard and processor and im not sure if i should go am2 or conroe. I have 1700 dollars to spend

lol, sweet. I've got around the same budget for my Conroe system also. It'll get you a lot. Anyway, the conroe has AMD beat pretty bad. AM2 is a socket btw, the FX-62 was tested against the Conroe E6600 and the E6700 (a 2.4Ghz and 2.66Ghz Processor) against the FX-62 (a 2.8Ghz Processor) and beat the FX-62 by a substantial amount. Here's the link if you want to read it:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5692

mind you, the Intel Conroe not only had lower clock speeds, but it had 1Gb of DDR2 533 while the FX-62 had 2Gb of DDR2 667 RAM. It also seems to have good overclocking potential, here's a link to a couple of guys who have gotten their hands on conroe's and overclocked.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1057953

Xtremesystems.org has a couple of those guys. Also, the conroe E6600 is estimated to come out costing $316, and it can beat the FX-62. not bad for a 300 dollar processor against an FX series $1000 processor.

Motherboards that support conroe haven't come out yet, and will not come out till about June 5th. i965 boards support it. The bad axe intel BOX975XBX motherboard does support if you get the revision 304 (which, from what i've heard, isn't very likely). the rev302 board can be modded, though you'll have to do it at your own risk.

awsome! But will there be a SLI motherboard for intel by the time conroe comes out?

Nvidia's chipset, the NForce 5 will support conroe, along with the normal SLI with a bunch of features.. etc.. w/e that comes with nvidia chipset support.

what motherboard are you planning on getting? and will the Sli boards be coming out june 5th?

just to semi-defend AMD on this...I am not biased, becasue I can't afford to be, the best bang for the buck is the best bang for the buck. Conroe is a completly new architecture, AM2 is just a new socket to mainly allow the use of DDR2. Of course a new architcture will beat an old one, but I AM excited about Conroe as well:D

hmm.... i have no clue which boards are coming out (as in models), lol. but the i965 chipset is supposedly going to be public June 5th (only around the corner) Atleast for manufacturers, I'm looking toward Asus, Abit, Intel, and maybe DFI or if ECS gets a good board out, I'll look at those. I'm largely undecided. i'll see which overclocks better and pick that one ( =) conroe overclocks look great right now).

I have been out of the loop... I was just about to build a new system around the 965 Pentium extreme. It looks like I should hold off a month or so? Is that correct?

SelRahc said:
I have been out of the loop... I was just about to build a new system around the 965 Pentium extreme. It looks like I should hold off a month or so? Is that correct?

yes. wait for conroe.

Back