Building a new system - advice needed (long)

rgbyhkr

n00b
First off, I want to say thanks to all you guys who have participated in the board. It's been extremely helpful to me and certainly has encourgade me to want to try something new. I found these forums initially when looking into the HP and new Apple 23" displays. After realizing that I'd have to do some upgrading to my system to accomodate one of these suckers, I'm considering going all out and completely retooling my machine. I've checked out a few threads like this one and bookmarked a couple that had some really good tips, especially ones with step-bystep building guides. So, thanks already for those who have posted.

I'd also like to confess that I've traditionally been the guy who buys pre-built systems. Now, I've done my share of software installs, O/S re-installs and upgrades, hardware upgrades (although nothing in the CPU, mobo, PS, case or cooling realm), and home network setup (wired and wireless). Over the years I've added new skills to my repertoire and I guess it's time for me to get down and dirty. I feel pretty confident I can do the job of building one from scratch, but there's always that anxiety that comes from doing something new. And, of course, there are questions to be answered since a few areas I've never touched before.

Ok, here's what I have now:
Falcon Mach V from 2002:

O/S: XP Pro
Case: CoolerMaster ATC-201 Midtower w/ USB front ports
PS: Enermax EG365P-VE (FC)
Mobo: Asus A7V266-E
CPU: AthlonXP 2100+
HS: CoolerMaster Socket A HSF
RAM: 2x 512MB PC2100 DDR
HDD: 80GB Maxtor ATA133 (6L080L4)
FDD: TEAC 3.5" Floppy
DVD: Toshiba 16x SD-M1612
CDRW: Plextor 12x CD-RW PX-W1210A
Vid: Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600
Audio: Creative Labs Audigy X-Gamer

Here are thoughts I have on what I could keep:

- Obviously the XP Pro license - although I thought I remember reading stories of re-authentication trouble when trying to re-install XP on a system that had been radically changed

- HDD - can be used as a secondary or backup as many of the new mobos support SATA as well as ultra ATA

- I'll probably keep the FDD even though I can't see ever using it.

- The DVD and CDRW drives. I'll probably grab a 16x dual-layer DVD burner when they are available.

- For now the Audio card - I only listen to 2-channel stuff anyways

Ok, now for my questions and comments:

1 - Should I keep the case? Since it's ATX compatible, I'm guessing it will accomodate any new mobo I want, whether I go AMD or Intel. What I wonder about are things like the front inputs, where new mobos offer more than my old 2x USB 1.1 up front. Since it seems like that comes with your case, I'm guessing the jack set can't easily be changed.

2 - Looks like the PS needs upgrading as 350W won't be enough to handle the 6800, if I go that route.

3 - Thanks for previous thread help in figuring out which mobo's support which chipsets and vice versa

4 - If I do this, I'll probably go balls out and get either the Athlon 64 FX-53 or the Intel P4 560.

5 Given the smaller capacities and premium on 10K HDDs, I don't see them as worth it right now.

6 - I guess I won't need a NIC card since new mobos fitiing the top-end processors have gigabit built in.

Here's what I think I need:

- Mobo and CPU
- CPU heatsink
- Possibly new case?
- 160GB-250GB SATA drive
- 1GB RAM
- Video Card
- Thermal Paste

Am I wrong with any of the above?

Jees man, I wish I had your kind of money lying around to build a system with...

A couple of things,

Windows license - If it has been more that 6 months since you last installed, don't worry about it. MS only keeps your fingerprint on record for that amount of time before purging it from their systems. Even if you have trouble activating it, all you have to do is call them and explain you are having trouble installing XP after and upgrade and they will give you an activation code.

MEM - If you go with the FX-53 you will need to get registered RAM.

1.) The ATC-201 is a very nice case. If you're going to be disassembling the Falcon, then by all means use the case. It's an ATX case, so any modern mobo and PSU you buy would fit it just fine. Just be sure to place the screws for the motherboard in the right place when installing it.

Also, the front inputs just require headers on the motherboard. Most motherboards have a few headers for additional USB ports.

2.) Your PSU is Enermax, which is a quality brand. Nvidia recommended 480 watt to include people who use crappier or generic PSUs. If you have a quality PSU, you can get away with less than 480 watts - though 350 is probably a little low, so I'd recommend an Antec TruePower 430, it doesn't carry much of a premium over the higher 300 watt models. It's the PSU I use, and it's great.

4.) Athlon FX-53 carries too high of a premium, and I'm assuming the Intel 560 is the 3.6 Ghz Pentium 4? I take it you mostly game with your comp, so I'd recommend an Athlon 64 like the Athlon 64 3400+. Saves money while still getting stellar performance.

6.) True - most mobos will have onboard LAN, and newer ones have gigabit ports.

edit: You only need to use registered RAM with an FX-53 if you buy socket 940 model.

Ok, here's another question. Since the ATC-201 doesn't have front jacks for firewire or audio (and there's some question as to whether the USB jacks will properly support USB 2.0), is there some kind of module out there that I can pop into a free 3.5" or 5.25" bay to connect those outputs from the motherboard? Actually, I guess the audio should really be coming from my soundcard instead of the mobo, right?

I called coolermaster and asked if they had a part that they sold to replace the front panel jacks on my 201 with ones on the Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 (the newer version of the 201). Unfortunately, they don't.

I answered my own question about the front inputs panel in a 5.25" drive slot. Yes, several companies make those. After doing some looking around, if I did build a high-end system, I would probably go with something like:

- ENERMAX Noisetaker 600
- MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3 Ultra
- AMD Socket 939 64 FX-53
- Thermalright XP-120
- Corsair XMS 2x1GB PC 3200
- Western Digital 250GB SATA
- ATI X800 XT PE or PNY 6800 ULTRA (user reports are that it doesn't have trouble outputting 1900x1200 over DVI like other 6800 cards)
- HP L2335 or Apple 23" New Cinema Display

Also, USB 2.0 uses the same headers/pin configurations as USB 1.1, hence the ability of my former employer (BB) to sell rebadged 1.1 cables as 2.0 cables for more money :eek:
-Mike
PS They also do sell firewire/audio jacks that can be mounted in a bay, as i think you said you found.

mojojojoman said:
Also, USB 2.0 uses the same headers/pin configurations as USB 1.1, hence the ability of my former employer (BB) to sell rebadged 1.1 cables as 2.0 cables for more money :eek:
-Mike
PS They also do sell firewire/audio jacks that can be mounted in a bay, as i think you said you found.

Thanks for the tip about the USB cables. I actually did find a company that offers a dizzying array of options for front panels. Basicaly, it's all modular and you just buy the jacks you want to fit into the panel. They offer options for connecting those front jacks either to rear panel connectors or motherboard headers. Here's a link to their site if anyone is interested:

http://www.frontx.com/

Back