Build websites, or have reccomendations? $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctusmc03

Gawd
Edit: Does anyone have any recommendations as far as a host goes? I found this Recommended Hosts List but I'm unsure if any of those are any good or not, help?

I'm looking for someone, or a recommended company or service to get a website all set up for me the way I want it.

If it's someone here that offers of course I would reimburse your for your time if you're willing to work with me until we get it exactly where I want it and if I need you to help me in the future you're willing to come back and work on it for me to add features and everything if I needed then for additional reimbursement. We would need to come to a set rate for everything though, and make some sort of contract as well though.

It will have forums, user accounts, and user pages where they can post entries every day and people can comment on them and + or - them and everything.

Message me, or just post in this thread if you're interested or know of a place I could check out.

Mods: If this should be in the for sale/trade since I'm offering to purchase something please move it for me.

Last edited:
Are you prepared to spend around 30,000$ for this? Because I get this question a lot at work with outsiders calling in requesting jobs, and when I tell them the cost they just kinda freeze up. Web development is not an easy task, especially with the vague specifications most people give. There is a lot of back and forth and gnashing of ideas, opinions, and what is the right thing to do. So if you do get an offer I hope you're prepared to go the long haul, as it takes a lot of time and money.

Just use existing forum software that comes with a CMS portal of sorts, no point in reinventing the web.
However, the recently mentioned Oatmeal stip (mentioned in the Web 3.0 thread) comes to mind: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/websites_stop #3 is probably applicable. Just saying.

No. I had orthodontia as a teenager and don't need a retainer.

I wasn't aware this stuff was that expensive to pay someone to do. I'll just find a website that already has the tools built in and try to figure it out, thanks though.

www.site5.com is still the best shared host I have found, great service and great servers. www.mddhosting.com is also pretty good. I retain accounts with both.

For the front end, Joomla or Wordpress are the best IMO. Both have good blog systems built in and are easy to customize and work with even if you dont want to touch code at all. There are also a lot of prebuild extensions and plugins for both as well as templates.

For the forum, free I would only consider Simple Machines Forum (SMF). A lot will say to look at phpbb, but it gets hacked like crazy and is not nearly as good in my experiences. If you want something for a simple forum, bbpress for the creators of wordpress is pretty good as well. For paid, vBulletin hands down is the best forum software out there.

To make a community, Joomla + Community Builder Extension or Jomsocial Extension is a pretty sweet combo.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Crucial Paradigm as a (shared) host. I've been with them for a year now and haven't had any major problems and they've always been quick to respond to questions and such. They aren't too expensive either.

I wasn't aware this stuff was that expensive to pay someone to do. I'll just find a website that already has the tools built in and try to figure it out, thanks though.

Web development is quite expensive. People here may disagree on numbers, but I would say that for front-end HTML/CSS/Javascript (medium)/PHP (medium) you can expect to pay at least $50/hour for a good developer. Good CSS developers can be surprisingly difficult to come by.

For heavy back-end development, which sounds like your original request, you're looking at probably $75+/hour. A good back-end dev will be $100+/hour.

People have these stereotypes in their head of the techy high school kid that you can pay $150 to build you a website, but that's just not how things work.

If you feel like getting into this yourself, your best bets are to either find a host that can auto-install wordpress, or use a forum platform like vBulletin which is what [H] uses.

there's always 3rd world workers to exploit. try odesk.com, or similar. be prepared for a communications barrier.

For heavy back-end development, which sounds like your original request, you're looking at probably $75+/hour. A good back-end dev will be $100+/hour.
Actually, what he asked for was complete end-to-end service. That means requirements analysis, capacity planning, UX design, localization, graphics design, front-end work, back-end work, hosting procurement, testing, delivery, and iterative changes.

At $175/hour you're going to lose your shirt.

At $175/hour you're going to lose your shirt.

Pretty much. You might end up hiring 4 different people to do all of the things you mention, if one of them charges $100/h, another charges $75/h, and the last 2 charge $50/h then $250/h suddenly doesn't look too bad. Especially since you get to deal with 1 person rather than 4 people.

I think a lot of people forget this aspect of pricing. If 1 person can do many things at a high skill level they are much more valuable than someone who cannot.

Even if mike outsources the design/front end work to his buddy you don't have to worry about it because it's taken care of by the 1 person you hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back