Budget-ish card to pair with Ryzen 5 7600x

paco

Gawd
I'm woefully out of the loop on video cards these days. My RX580 doesn't appear to be up to the task on this build (in my sig). Having some issues with Hogwarts Legacy, even on lower settings (especially around water). I'd like something new for Starfield as well. Currently only need 1080p, but hoping to upgrade my monitor eventually (nothing over 32inch) and be able to game at 1440. Just looking for a good out of box experience to play games like this at decent quality levels.

I'm not stuck on AMD or Nvidia so open to either if they fit the bill. $500 is my max (prefer under $400). No I won't save up more, eventually you just have to limit what you are spending on a build. Open to buying used as well (my RX580 was used). What models should I be on the lookout for? Appreciate any suggestions.

If you want to buy new a that price point the 6800xt seem a clear winner, if the $500 as some room for taxes and you can find one (you have Hogwarts legacy and a couple of other recent games here, with very recent latest drivers)

View: https://youtu.be/Iqs6w0ABrvE?t=620

Time stop at the cost per frame at 1440p average.

You could probably find one that come with Starfield legacy (which you can mentally justify to keep around $500 after tax)

I really like my 6700XT at a price you'd rather be in (under $400). They can found as low as $320 brand new (Sapphire 6700XT on Newegg). I recently bought a friend a 6800XT used on the for sale forums here for $400. Most of the used stock is pretty decent quality since these were made during the mining boom when GPU makers primarily made their top-end cards.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the input. Does appear the 6800xt is the clear winner unless I can find something else used.
I've been using a 6800xt since launch with no issues. I play at 4k, sometimes at 1440. You should be happy with it. Best value currently imo.

Every day that goes on, the more I'm convinced that the 6800xt was the thing to buy last gen. What a great card.
That would be the rx6600 (non-xt).

It's doing fine for me at 1440p. Admittedly, I am still catching up on previous-gen games, but I've yet to implement my plan of last resort to reduce the res down to 720p.

That would be the rx6600 (non-xt).

It's doing fine for me at 1440p. Admittedly, I am still catching up on previous-gen games, but I've yet to implement my plan of last resort to reduce the res down to 720p.
To each their own, depends on what res you were already running.

A 6800xt is still an amazing 1440p card without reduced settings and upscaling.

Still better than a 3070 which went from awesome 1440p to 1080p at reduced settings sometimes in a single generation lol.

Reactions: emphy
like this
Appreciate all the input. Does appear the 6800xt is the clear winner unless I can find something else used.
I only have a limited experience of a 6800XT ish (XFX 6950XT with reduced power limit), but I am positively surprised. Had it for only two weeks now. My first AMD card for many years (I think Fury was my last AMD card), since Nvidia have been best on VR for many generations. My computer cases identify as vendor fluid, so I have no issues getting an AMD cards, just had spesific use for Nvidia last generations.:p Havent tried the 6950 XT yet in VR.

I bought the card for use later with SteamOS 3 for the living room, so I wanted an RDNA 2 card and that one was on offer. The system I upgraded from, was a 5600X CPU with a 2080TI GPU to a 5800X3D CPU with 6950 XT gpu (850W PCIE5 PSU to handle any transient spikes). Not a fresh install, only a purge of Nvidia drivers and install of AMD drivers. Currently running Windows 11. Tested it with current suit of games that I have tried with he 2080TI and installed a range of other games for testing. I am impressed! It really feels like a full system upgrade, granted the CPU upgrade have much to do with it.

I believe you going from RX 580 to a 6800 XT would get an even bigger feeling of upgrade then what I did.

Only tested it with 23.7.2 drivers, but with those the system is rock solid so far.

Pendragon1 suggested som XFX speedster merc cards above. Seems its the same cooler or similar to the one of their 6950XT cards. I found the cooler to be of high quality, have no coil whine, but on the 6950xt at least, the fan profle is way to agressive compared to what the cooler is capable of. I made a custom fan curve, since the card can run cool and quiet even on low fan speeds almost flat curve. Especially with reducing power limit to 90%. Be aware that the XFX cards are very long and might not fit your case.

As mentioned, only a couple of weeks experience with the AMD card, but very pleased with the upgrade!

i bought a 6800xt on prime day from newegg for around $440 and it came with starfield premium. Pretty good value and I'm loving it for 1440p gaming.

I'm using it with 7600x as well and they work great together.

I'm woefully out of the loop on video cards these days. My RX580 doesn't appear to be up to the task on this build (in my sig). Having some issues with Hogwarts Legacy, even on lower settings (especially around water). I'd like something new for Starfield as well. Currently only need 1080p, but hoping to upgrade my monitor eventually (nothing over 32inch) and be able to game at 1440. Just looking for a good out of box experience to play games like this at decent quality levels.

I'm not stuck on AMD or Nvidia so open to either if they fit the bill. $500 is my max (prefer under $400). No I won't save up more, eventually you just have to limit what you are spending on a build. Open to buying used as well (my RX580 was used). What models should I be on the lookout for? Appreciate any suggestions.
Look at 4070's on bestbuy site and see if any of your local stores have open boxed ones. Sometimes they offer them under $500.

If you are looking at XFX cards. Keep in mind that they are usually VERY long and may not fit in your case.

If you plan to keep it for 3 years max, go with the RX 6700 XT, the less you spend now the better the value when the card is worthless like your RX 580!

Look at 4070's on bestbuy site and see if any of your local stores have open boxed ones. Sometimes they offer them under $500.

If you are looking at XFX cards. Keep in mind that they are usually VERY long and may not fit in your case.
I will double check if it'll fit my corsair 4000d before buying. Hope so, just bought it.

If you plan to keep it for 3 years max, go with the RX 6700 XT, the less you spend now the better the value when the card is worthless like your RX 580!
Definitely, I do not upgrade often. This is my first build in over a decade. Probably my last.

I will double check if it'll fit my corsair 4000d before buying. Hope so, just bought it.

Yeah you'll be fine. 4000D with xfx 6800xt:
423128.2d95cbab72ca34ddde27d33b90545df8.1600.jpg

Definitely, I do not upgrade often. This is my first build in over a decade. Probably my last.
I have the same mobo v1.0 as you with a 7600x / Gskill 6000Mhz Cl 30, everything runs fine with F4 bios it came shipped with from Best Buy, have you tied to update your bios? I keep getting Bios Image fail to read with a USB 2.0 flash drive in Q flash, I have flashed alot of AM4 MSI boards but this Gigabyte board is odd and wants to be different, didn't know if I need to find a USB 3.0 stick to try next.

If you are going used a rtx3080 or rt6800/900xt are great if you can get that $400 and under price point

True, but the OP might be interested in that starfield premium code on the new cards
Sure, as he stated he intends to play it, but also states in his opening text that he is open to used products and the goal is really $400 or less.

I have the same mobo v1.0 as you with a 7600x / Gskill 6000Mhz Cl 30, everything runs fine with F4 bios it came shipped with from Best Buy, have you tied to update your bios? I keep getting Bios Image fail to read with a USB 2.0 flash drive in Q flash, I have flashed alot of AM4 MSI boards but this Gigabyte board is odd and wants to be different, didn't know if I need to find a USB 3.0 stick to try next.
I have not yet. I've honestly barely used the thing since I built it! Need to find some more time.

Sure, as he stated he intends to play it, but also states in his opening text that he is open to used products and the goal is really $400 or less.
And I already got a Starlight code from my CPU/Mobo purchase. Don't recall if it was premium though. I'll have to check.

And I already got a Starlight code from my CPU/Mobo purchase. Don't recall if it was premium though. I'll have to check.
You have the same standard key code that I got with my CPU/Mobo purchase from BB.

Yeah 6800XT is definitely a winner at $500. I'd say the 4060 Ti at $500 (16GB version) is a ripoff and will perform worse than a 6800XT, so not even worth consideration here.

Used, you can find 3080's for that $400-$450 range, you might spot a 3080 Ti around $500 if lucky but I think most are going for more.

Honestly I think 6800XT is the winner here.

Since you don't intend on upgrading often, if ever, the 6800XT would probably be a better bet than the 6700XT. If you go for a new 6800XT you can sell the Starfield Premium code that comes with it. They are selling for $70ish on ebay, or you could offload it on the FS/T forum for $55 - $60 and avoid the ebay hastle. I'm on the lookout for a Starfield Premium code myself.

Back