Budget Gaming Laptop Suggestions

wicked_chicken

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to figure out the best solution for semi-mobile work. By this, I mean I'm looking for either a laptop, or a Mini-ITX system that I can carry in a large backpack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 15" laptop with a full HD monitor, and the ability to drive 1 (preferably 2) external monitors? GPU Performance is the greatest factor, but I'd like to keep the cost between 1300-1500. I prefer full keyboards, but usually have mechanical's nearby.

Any suggestions would be great. I've been looking at things like the GS60, but want to know what else is out there.

Thanks [H]!

I'd actually go for a laptop if you're going to be porting it around. Having to lug a mini-itx doesn't sound like a fun proposition.

I think the highest I can probably stretch is approximately $1300 or so. I've been looking at stuff on XoticPC, but can't narrow it down.

GT60 424 or the barebone (shop branded) equivalent. IPS display, nice keyboard, good sound and GTX870M.

At stock the 870M in the GT60 (and barebone equivalents) is 30% faster than the 860M and the GT60 comes with an IPS display and the 4810MQ, the Asus is a little quieter though.

Not really, it's a fairly apples to apples comparison. The GTX 680 will be faster than any mobile Nvidia card (well mobile videocard in general).

The 870m/880m are GK104 parts (the same as the GTX 680).

The 880m is clocked lower with both core and memory. Memory is significantly lower clocked at 5ghz (vs 6ghz) as such memory bandwidth is a lot lower. Performance is lower than GTX 760 (so lower than 670 as well), and even more so depending on how memory bandwidth dependent your load is.

The 870m is a partially disabled version of the GK104 with a comparable configuration to the 660ti but also clocked lower, so it'd be slower than the 660ti.

The 860m (Maxwell version) is basically nearly comparable to the a stock 750ti but with slightly lower memory bandwidth. The Kepler version is overall slightly slower (although faster as well depending on some work loads). Your GTX 680 would likely be close to 2x the performance of this.

Yes the 880M tweaked can get to about stock 680 performance or maybe slightly ahead. But the 680 desktop can obviously be tweaked beyond that.

Back