budget build - any thoughts?

se4b4ss

Gawd
I have a working computer (signature) that is definitely showing it's age. I want to replace it for $600-$700 and donate it to the kiddos. I run a 19" monitor now and will likely get another 19" to run dual-screens or a 22" widescreen. I mostly do email, web browse, copy DVDs, Photoshop, and play the occasional game like FarCry and COD2. I would like to play some newer games like Bioshock and COD4 and am ok with medium settings as long as it runs smooth.

My budget will need to cover cpu, mb, video, memory, hd, and power supply. I will overclock a bit but only using the stock fan. I'd like to hear what you guys think about my selections. Is there any glaring mistakes? Can I shave this down to a $600 (or less) build without sacrificing too much performance? Any other thoughts?

So, here is the list of components I have come up with from reading this forum for the past month or so. I am linking to newegg.com but will bargain shop when actually purchasing:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 - $190

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - $97

HIS Hightech Radeon HD 3850 - $180

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 - $50

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB - $70

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX - $80

That works out to $667 before shipping on newegg,com.

TIA,
Steve

First of all, great job on doing your research. Unlike 85% (maybe higher) of the build requests posted here, you actually did some research ahead of time and actually read through the forums. Kudos to you. :)

Your build looks great as it is. But we can shave some money off. We can start by getting that HD 3850 here for $20 cheaper and get it soon because they might run out:
VisionTek Radeon HD 3850 256MB PCI-E Video Card - $160

Also, if you're not particularly squeamish about overclocking, drop down to the E4500 instead and just OC it to 3.0Ghz.or more. An OC'd E4500 is a bit faster than an E6750 at stock so you won't lose any performance:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 CPU - $125

According to my math, your build would be, if you take my suggestions, about $582. :D

Oh and you can get the Corsair 450VX with free shipping here:
Corsair 450VX 450W PSU - $77

Thanks for the response Danny. I will jump on the BB 3850 if it's still available.

One question, how does a modestly overclocked e6750 compare to a modestly overclocked e4500? I haven't found an article on that or reference to it here in this forum. If I'm going to OC anyhow and it's within my budget and the performance difference is there then I might just jump on the e6750.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the links Danny. That's pretty compelling argument for getting the e4500.

Is it more difficult to overclock the e4500 to the 3.2ghz level than the e6750? One thing I have to keep in mind is that I've never had good luck overclocking. I think I was the one guy who couldn't get the 300a to 450mhz. :)

Thanks again,
Steve

It's not that hard to OC most C2D CPUs. Here's a great guide on how to OC with Gigabyte mobos:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

It should help a lot. You also might want to check out the poster of the above guide's experience with an E4500 and GA-P35-DS3L:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248435

I followed the guide above and managed to get my E6400 to 3.2Ghz with no trouble whatsoever. Just make sure you read a few times over to just make sure you don't gloss over anything. Printing out the instructions also helps too.

I agree with Danny, the E4500 seems to fit your needs and OC'ing it to 3Ghz should be easy.

Thanks enginurd. Sorry, I have to ask this one again, am I more likely to have a successful moderate stock cooling overclock with the e4500 or the e6750?

Steve

Thanks enginurd. Sorry, I have to ask this one again, am I more likely to have a successful moderate stock cooling overclock with the e4500 or the e6750?

Steve

Your chances are the same.

Cool, thanks for the answer, enginurd.

Thanks to Danny for his help as well.

I ordered the gear in the original post with the exception of a E4500 plus a keyboard and some DVDs. Total after shipping is $641 and change. I will update this thread with my build progress hopefully this coming weekend.

Steve

Hardware is on the truck to be delivered. Hopefully they will leave it on the doorstep. If so, I will try to start on this build tonight and takes some pics along the way. :)

Back