Buddy tries to help out........

LGZdarkside

[H]ard [H]eaded
My Bud at LGZ screwed my PC (I think..)

Story....

Me and my buddy own a small cyber cafe'. In our office I brought in my PC from home to use in our business, it runs XP pro.

It blue screened on him one morning on boot. Since he is not the PC guy, he called me ans I told him to leave it alone and I would look at it when I get off work. After work I drop by and sure enough a corrupt boot volume. So out comes the XP install disk and I go to the recovery console and run a checkdesk, it finds and repairs some errors. By this time he has gone home and I start a second loop of checkdisk and figure I will do the fixmbr, fixboot stuff tommorrow and go home.

He comes into work, spys the dos prompt and thinking it might be fixed he reboots the PC.

Here is where it gets screwed. While it's rebooting he starts opening the store for the day. When he gets back to the office the PC has made it to the XP setup screen (I left the disk in). Thinking I was planning on reinstalling the system he starts clicking through the prompts and begins the setup. This is when I call him to tell him I will finish my stuff tonight to bring the PC back to life. He tells me what he has done and I freak so he kills the PC.

Now I start the PC and go to the recovery console, when I log into the windows partition to attempt to fix it, it just restart the setup where it left off, copying the file from the CD (about step 3)

CAN I SAVE IT! I do not want to loose the installed programs and have to reinstall everything!

Thanks in advance,

Brent

www.langamezone.com

Doesnt sound good, Maybe a re format was due anyway!
Possible.. Pull the hard drive, Hook to another PC and pull needed files if they are still there.... Then re format and go crisp and clean...

1) Restore from backup
2) A harddrive is crapped sectors? It was time for a wipe and reload anyway, on a new drive.

nessus said:
You do have a good back to restore it from, right?

I have a good backup, however it is rather old :( I know, I know, bad practice.....

Brent

Tazzman said:
Doesnt sound good, Maybe a re format was due anyway!
Possible.. Pull the hard drive, Hook to another PC and pull needed files if they are still there.... Then re format and go crisp and clean...

I am not really sure if he reformatted. He does not remember a prompt asking him to. I am thinking it is doing a reinstall ontop of the old install of XP. I just do not want to have to reload all my programs from scratch.

Brent

killurbuddy says:

:mad: Sounds like he screwed ya alright.

All is not lost tho.

At least the place did not burn to the ground.

Maybe you shoul equip yourself with a BartPE (if you own a Windows Licence, which you surely do) or Knoppix CD. Can be good if you really need to recover some little things before formatting.

Back