BSOD error when installing Windows XP

Narius

Limp Gawd
I recently installed my new e4300, abit ib9, 2gb dd2 pc5300, and since I am changing motherboards I decided to re install windows xp. After the initial loading of the setup, before it gives me any options (besides the F6), i get a BSOD containg

A probelm has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

<insert lines here>

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (OxF7CAE524, OXC0000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)

Any idea on what to do? my hard drive is WD 250gb SATA, so it might have something to do with SATA drivers but it hasnt even go to any options yet so I don't know how it could be..

Raid or no raid? If raid, make sure you load the drivers by using F6 on a floppy for your controller. The other issue I've seen cause this issue is an SATA DVD drive to install WinXP.

STOP 07B is an Inaccessible Boot Device. That can be either your hard drive or the CD/DVD drive used to install Windows. I just fought this problem yesterday installing XP64 on my EVGA 680I system running an Areca 1231ML controller. Turned out to be my NEC SATA DVD-RW. I just hooked up an old IDE DVD-ROM, and the install completed just fine. I thought it was raid drivers, but after testing every possible combination I figured it had to be something else.

Raid or no raid? If raid, make sure you load the drivers by using F6 on a floppy for your controller. The other issue I've seen cause this issue is an SATA DVD drive to install WinXP.

STOP 07B is an Inaccessible Boot Device. That can be either your hard drive or the CD/DVD drive used to install Windows. I just fought this problem yesterday installing XP64 on my EVGA 680I system running an Areca 1231ML controller. Turned out to be my NEC SATA DVD-RW. I just hooked up an old IDE DVD-ROM, and the install completed just fine. I thought it was raid drivers, but after testing every possible combination I figured it had to be something else.

Well, originally my IDE DVD drive wasnt reading the disk, so I tried an old IDE CDRW drive and it read it but i get the STOP 07B error.. so I am using an IDE drive, so I am not sure if thats it. And no I am not running raid...

Possible bad disc?

Try to copy the disc to your hard drive. Obviously you have a working system somewhat since you can post on the forum. If it copies to the hard drive okay, then use this procedure:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation

You can skip the slipstream part and look for ISO Buster. Start from there to make a new install disc. If you wish to apply SP2 to your XP disc, then now would be a good time since it's super easy. That way you'll now have a slipstreamed SP2 Windows XP install disc and in the event some odd bug with the original XP is causing your problem, you'll have an updated install disc including those fixes.

If you can't copy all the files on the disc to a local hard drive then you know the disc is bad and you'll need a replacement.

well I am actually typing from a different computer, and I have tried to different install disks.. one being XP pro and the other XP home... they might be both bad but I doubt it

try running memtest86, check if there is any drivers needed for the chipset for the sata drive..

I can't even run Ubuntu live cd. What is going on? I am about to put my old parts back in and give up on this.

Do a barebones approach with just one optical drive and load Ubuntu, if that loads up, try Windows XP again.

well I thought that maybe the problem is that my cpu isnt properly seated, but I cant for the life of me get the stock Intel heatsink/fan on.. Why is it so hard? I can get all four corners in all the way, individually I can but as a whole its impossible. I feel like I am going to snap the board if I really try and force it... What am I doing wrong?

Back