broken laptop hinge

blade12

Limp Gawd
I have a laptop that has had broken hinge for 3 years now that makes it extremely tough to open and close it. I have been using it sometimes since then.

I made a thread here about 2.5 years ago, and somebody had mentioned to use JBweld back then. At the time, I didn't want to risk it since the hinge wasn't fully broke, but now the hinge is completely broken. Laptop just flops over when I open.. hinge does nothing to hold the screen open. It's time for JBWeld as my last option! The laptop still works good except for the damn hinge so I will just try JBWeld.

1) I noticed Amazon has different types of JBWeld. Is this okay?
2) Anyone ever come across a guide of others using JBWeld on a laptop? I googled it up, but don't see much. Do I just open up the laptop, use JBWeld on the hinge area like glue, then let it dry? I have never used JBWeld before.

The area below in red is broke.. That image is not specifically my laptop, but I have the same laptop shell from MSI. That hinge bar literally comes out :
1zzg67b.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Harbor frieght sells plastic welders I think? not sure though havent been in a looong time

I think it's rather telling that when I read "broken hinges" a part of me wondered if it would be an MSI. Those things have been notorious for hinge failures. I've had 3 out of 4 MS-1651 (which it looks like yours is based off of), and a CR600 just flat out have the hinges fall apart, with one ripping the lid when it broke.

@BigTroll - where did you buy that plastic welder?

I think it's rather telling that when I read "broken hinges" a part of me wondered if it would be an MSI. Those things have been notorious for hinge failures. I've had 3 out of 4 MS-1651 (which it looks like yours is based off of), and a CR600 just flat out have the hinges fall apart, with one ripping the lid when it broke.

It's horrendous setup that defies logic.

When I got it replaced the first time, I told avadirect that these are flawed in build. $250 i spent to get it fixed. It broke again in 3 months. I emailed avadirect again telling them these are definitely flawed. They simply said that I could get the parts replaced or setup nut-and-bolt without responding to the notion i made that these are flawed.

I am never buying another msi build and never buying again from avadirect. It lasted just year and half.. A Lenovo laptop I bought for my cousin is still good 3 years later of misuse he tends to do. I took care of the msi laptop with care and it still broke! Twice too. $1700 I spent on it (bought for 1450 in 09, $250 for first repair in 2011). I was in college when I got it so it was my parents money. My mom still feels bad it broke because they saved up for me (far from rich!)

I'm hoping epoxy can fix it. I am trying to find a guide for how to fix such a hinge on msi shell. Hmmm... Googled for some time but not much luck finding msi hinge fix. Other laptops show up. I wonder if this is the same

What is the price of the hinges on ebay? I replaced broken hinges in a laptop before and I don't think it was too pricey. (I think it was under $20 but can't remember exactly)

EDIT: NVM, see you already had someone replace them for you once. The ones we broke lasted several years before they gave out, not three months.

I used JB Weld to fix my old laptop and it held for a few years. It was a metal to metal joint that I applied it to. I wouldn't try to use JB Weld on plastic though.

Without seeing how it's actually broken it's hard to suggest any specific type of action.

should have JBed it while you still had some unbroken hinge helping you out

don't like your chances at all now

rough up any plastic surfaces with the tiniest rotary burr in the Dremel and get as much surface area as possible, but honestly I think you fucked yourself by waiting

as the vendor suggested, your best chance may be drilling clear through the housing and having exposed fasteners at this point

rough up any plastic surfaces with the tiniest rotary burr in the Dremel and get as much surface area as possible, but honestly I think you fucked yourself by waiting

as the vendor suggested, your best chance may be drilling clear through the housing and having exposed fasteners at this point

So you don't think that epoxy/JBweld will work? I haven't ordered anything yet. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I do anything. I will take & post the images tomorrow of the damage..

What about something like a clamp setup to keep it open? I would still be able to use it around the house even if it stays open at all times. I just can't sit there holding it open with 1 hand and watch it slam shut if I let go lol.

I will wait for the pics, but I am guessing that your best chance is epoxy AND exposed fasteners

find a used lid and bezel assembly and call it a day

every 6 months I remove my bezel of my vostro and tighten down the screws

problem is that the metal will not stay in the plastic lining and will eventually pull out even with thread lock.

Last edited:
Any shot of JBWeld being of any use?

Would it be costly to buy a laptop shell casing and move everything over? All of the parts are in very good condition so I don't have the balls to throw everything away in the trash. I had spent $1200+ on it..

Back