Brocade SFP and Cisco

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
Well, at work we just got 3x brocade switches in. I've never worked with Brocade, but have some familiarity with HP Procurve and tons of experience with Cisco equipment.
The switch : 3x FWS648G-POE - 44 port Gig POE with 4x shared Gig copper/fiber

Basically SFP1 - 4 are shared with Ethernet(copper) port 1-4. If I have SFP1 connected and in use then the copper equivalent is not available.

My issue: I can't seem to get my SFP connections to come up. I do a show interface ethernet 0/1/x and it always shows down-down.
I've checked the patch panel to ensure that I'm plugging into the right port. Since these are new patch panels and new runs it's easy. These new switches are the only ones available and I have light transmitting through. I'm using LC to SC 62.5/125 cabling.

I'm new and have a 1600 page PDF that doesn't seem to offer much insight into this particular issue. Is there anything special that I need to do so that the SFP ports will become enabled? (Yes I went to the interface and typed the enable command).

I'm trying to start simple, haven't configured the vlans yet. I just want to see a live link. I've tried brocade to brocade and brocade to Cisco 3560 (that is in production).

One other tid bit, I'm loading the switch firmware from the secondary storage, not the routing firmware.
Also, if anyone knows of a good place for documentation discussing a mixed Brocade/Cisco environment I'd be so greatful.

Thanks

UPDATE: So, the contractor who ran our fiber got it backwards. Basically plug it in and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Those brocade switches are going to be similar to those hp switches

tagged for a trunk port untagged for a member port to that vlan.

I really liked the brocade / foundry switches I had at the old job I was at.

Back