Broadband Gateway

manny1222

Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those modem/router combos are not good. If you want something good then you'll need a modem, router and wireless AP all separate hardware or at the very least a modem and wireless ap router combo.

Which cable modem are you renting from comcast right now? Does it handle your needs?

Which cable speed/package do you have?

I have comcast 75 down 12 up. Currently renting a Cisco DPC3939 from them. The internet meets my needs fine. I was just wondering about owning my own gateway instead of paying comcast. Ive had them for 7 years straight and I'll probably keep them until my area gets fiber. So it probably makes sense to have mine and quit renting from them.

If you think i should get two seperate devices, which do you suggest?
Thanks

You need to login to Comcast's web site and see a list of their approved devices. Just because it's a cable modem doesn't always mean it'll work with their system.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/

What kind of budget do you have?
One story home? Two story?
Location of modem & router? Size of house?
List of wireless devices currently owned that connects to WLAN.

Thanks for the reply.
I dont have a budget yet because I'm just still doing research. The cheaper the better but I'm willing to save up if and spend more to avoid issues and be somewhat future proof.
For all intents and purposes, my house is two story. Its a ranch house with a finished basement. My network board is in the basement, mounted pretty much as high as i can (under the ceiling). Wifi coverage is pretty good every where as the house is only 1700 sq ft (not counting the basement).
I have a 24 port switch that every thing wired is connected to. In terms of wireless its hard to say. At least 4 phones, 5 tablets, 4 laptops, Amazon Echo, roku stick, wii, 3 smart switches/plugs...... And anything else that family/visitors bring in. This is what all i can think of

Yeah that modem would work fine if it's compatible with Comcast. I'm sure it is though.

Since you already have a 24 port switch (im assuming its a gigabit switch) then get yourself a EdgeRouter Lite for the routing abilities. I have fiber and that router handles my 1Gbps connection just fine. I have an ASUS RT-AC66U wireless router that I was using on the connection before, but the most throughput I could achieve with the thing was around 300Mbps (wired) and nothing more. I since just converted that router to wireless access point only (no routing) and it handles the wireless connectivity of my two story home just fine (with the exception of upstairs on the far end of the house gets poor signal with wireless N, wireless G isn't much better but it does at least connect.

With that being said I think you're going to have issues with placing a wireless access point in the basement and expecting a signal upstairs. Do you have any issues with wireless connectivity in the house now?

Thanks for the reply
In terms of signals, i dont have issues now with wireless signals. Its pretty centrally situated and close enough to the ceiling.
I looked up the Edgerouter lite and its a bit pricey especially since I'll still need a wireless access point.

How about this router in addition to the modem above (or a SB6190)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F...3NWQ&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&th=1&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can't go wrong with an archer c5/c7 and an approved cable modem. We have 150/25 with Xfinity (Comcast) and it's been great. All under $200 too.

You can probably also use modems that are no longer approved since you aren't faster than 100 down, but this will depend on if Comcast will allow you to use it on the network if it isn't approved. Last time I tried a non-approved modem, we had very minimal speeds because there basically was no configuration for it on the Comcast side. I think it was something like 30/5 though, so very slow.

Back