Briefcases/Computer bags

cvgd

Limp Gawd
So, this is kind of off topic, but not sure where else to put it. I am looking for a professional, serious looking briefcase.

I'm looking for leather, but am open to something else. ~500$ price point. I like the look of saddleback leather bags, but can't buy from them for arbitrary reasons. I have a couple of timbuk2 bags, a waxed canvas thing that my wife bought, and an older booq bags.

I want the bag to be sturdy, offer protection for the contents, and be fairly large, but small enough to be a "personal bag" for TSA purposes.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Wow, $500? I just got a Kenneth Cole Reaction bag for $50 and thought I was spending a lot for a laptop bag.

I'm kind of at the screw it stage. I'm sick of three things: going to meetings with an ugly bag; traveling with an overstuffed messenger bag; and going through bags once a year. I fugre that if I spend money on something, it'll probably be more durable and I'll take better care of it.

The Kenneth Cole stuff looks nice, but I broke the clasp off one a long time ago and haven't looked back. I want good stitching, good leather/materials, and durable hardware.

It's definitely extravagant, but I've had one miserable travel trip too many.

Try searching google for leather laptop bags. Some good stuff comes up in the shopping area.

I've looked around quite a bit already. I was hoping someone might have something they used that they could recommend.

My first instinct is to suggest Saddleback Leather... but you've made mention of them already in your initial post. I don't own one but have handled them and they seem fantastic, though a bit out of my price range.

I use a CourierWare Bag myself, but it's not quite what you're looking for. I also have a SwissGear/Wenger bag, but it's also "cheap" compared to what you're looking for.

How big do you need the bag to be? I've seen a really nice laptop bag by Wilson's Leather that was designed for a 13" laptop or so, with just enough space to also fit in standard notebook-sized papers, but that might be a bit small for you.

Those are both great recommendations. This whole kick was precipitated by a miserable travel experience with Delta, lost luggage and delays etc., which finally convinced the wife to abandon checked luggage. I ordered two Redoxx bags on Tuesday, an Air Boss and a Sky Train. She gets to pick whichever she prefers.

I considered the Tom Bin Aeronaut, but have used my dad's Redoxx duffel before, and just went with the familiar. I'll probably order the fancy straps from Tom Bihn; there seems to be a solid consensus behind their quality.

That said, I want a briefcase to serve as the "personal item" when I travel, and the Redoxx
Metro just doesn't have the look I want. I'm going to go to a few stores this weekend to see if I can find something that feels right.

Back