Brent, new resolutions in reviews?

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
Will we see an extra resolution in future GFX card reviews now that triplehead capabilities becomes mainstream? Now we have 2560x1600 as maximum, but it would be interesting to see how they perform in triplehead. 3X 1680x1050 (TH2G with Nvidia cards, but hopefully they'll make some Eyefinity of their own) and 3x 1920x1200 would be nice. :cool:

Will we see an extra resolution in future GFX card reviews now that triplehead capabilities becomes mainstream? Now we have 2560x1600 as maximum, but it would be interesting to see how they perform in triplehead. 3X 1680x1050 (TH2G with Nvidia cards, but hopefully they'll make some Eyefinity of their own) and 3x 1920x1200 would be nice. :cool:

I think the [H] benchmark of "Highest Playable Settings" pretty much already covers this :p

I think the [H] benchmark of "Highest Playable Settings" pretty much already covers this :p

Highest playable settings at given resolution unfortunately, not any resolution. The ballgame has changed and TH is going mainstream. Thats why I want to know if Brent plans to include this in their reviews. :D

We better start clicking on some ad links if we're expecting [H] to do some 24-monitor reviews...

They can always use Oldies sweet setup for some [H]ard gaming reviews. :D

I don't think [H] needs extra ad money to scrape together 3 24" screens anyway. :p

Last edited:
Kyle probably has 3 24 inch monitors propping up his desk. I don't think a 3x 24 in. Display review is out of the question.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Wow, a bit early for that. See if it actually does catch on first. Matrox has been working on it since 2002 and it hasn't gone mainstream yet.

Because Matrox couldn't bring it to the market which matters most (enthusiast market). Who do you think is going to purchase 3 screens? Some devs might and some image rendering/editing folks might but the market that always buys insanely priced gear... is the enthusiast market.

Matrox just didn't have the performance to drive games properly. I already have two Dell 2408WFPs so buying another one isn't going to be much of a problem.

I don't see triple-head going anywhere near mainstream any time soon. Costs too much. Too hard to drive (a $400+ card isn't anywhere near mainstream).

In fact... it'll never go mainstream, as by the time it is affordable 3 monitors will be a joke.

I don't see triple-head going anywhere near mainstream any time soon. Costs too much. Too hard to drive (a $400+ card isn't anywhere near mainstream).

In fact... it'll never go mainstream, as by the time it is affordable 3 monitors will be a joke.

The 5850 won't be $400+, I can promise you that. Also, 3 monitors won't be a joke in 1-2 years - about how long until the 5870 will be yesterdays tech and found for half the cost it launched at. Amazing how insanely pessimistic to the point of just spewing FUD some people are around here.

Don't you think its a bit bad point, considering that we already have 30" reviews and also highend cards? Do you feel its wrong that [H] have a review of the highend cards and uses a 30" in their reviews? I can't help to ask, since you are using that as an argument against this.

This is [H]ardforum. Have you taken a look at the setups people have?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=862341

Do you think they come cheap?

3X 24" costs from $215 and up each (according to quick search on newegg). You need one anyway, so there is an additional $430 for a TH setup with 3X 24".

Actually, the whole ati 5x series will support it,(3 monitors) so the replacement for the r770 chips, the 57x series, will support it, but probably lack the horsepower to fully drive it.

"Never" is a funny word in the tech industry ;)

Good chunk of people already sport duals (including laptop crowd that plug in to bigger one's when back home). It's pretty easy financially and psychologically to add another.

Not for this initial evaluation, we will have to discuss this for future evals.

Kyle will be handling Eyefinity testing initially as he has the displays to do it.

Back