Breaking into protected user on seperate HDD

Alright, here's the deal. I recently installed a second hard drive, and all of my old information is on HDD 2, and OS and all that stuff is on HDD 1, both SATA. Well, the user account I had on HDD 2, I made private towards other users, so they couldn't snoop on my user account. Well, now that I installed the second hard drive, I deperately need to get into that private user folder under Documents and Settings, to get to my desktop, where I stored everything. Now, every time I try to get into it, it gives me an access denied error, so now I'm screwed. Basically, two years of my life's work is in that folder, and I can't get into it! And it's on ANOTHER hard drive!

I tried a few things, like reinstalling windows and keeping the same user account name to see if I could trick windows into letting me in, and no good.

Anyone know any tricks?

First, make sure you have simple file sharing disabled, so you can get the full permissions suite. What you need to do is right click on the folder and go to properties, Security, Advanced, Ownership.

Select your user (or just the Administrators group) and take ownership of the folder and all subcontainers. Once you've done that, you can then reset the permissions on the files.

WOrd. i had a problem like this before but i can't remeber how to fix it. Hope someone can help ya dude

Well there might be some good news or some bad news

Good news

It might be a simple NTFS permission. Take owenershiop of the files and that is it.

The bad news.

private user mgiht mean EFS

and unless you have that EFS certificate from the old install you are royally screwed.

can you see the directory in command? maybe theres a way to copy it over.

figgie said:
Well there might be some good news or some bad news

Good news

It might be a simple NTFS permission. Take owenershiop of the files and that is it.

The bad news.

private user mgiht mean EFS

and unless you have that EFS certificate from the old install you are royally screwed.
Nah, "private" just means that the user folder doesn't inherit permissions and only that user has "Full Control" over it and its children. Like you said, just take ownership recursively and give yourself full control.

Back