BRCM-LVG What is It?

MichiganPC

n00b
Recently a new device is appearing on my home network. I'm running three Win7-64 computers. I don't know what it is or where it came from.

It properties are;

Computer Name: BRCM-LVG
Computer Type: Windows NT4.9 Server
WorkGroup: Workgroup

Should I be concerned?

2 seconds of Googling shows it appears to be a network share on a Netgear router.

2 seconds of Googling shows it appears to be a network share on a Netgear router.
Google is is more generous to you than me.

Still not finding a lot of detail. I have Netgear but I haven't touched the router/switch in months. Not sure why now it shows up.

Can you pull up the share just for fun?
Start>Run>\\BRCM-LVG

Log into the router and disable any filesharing related functions. There a few scenarios: Windows firewall settings were changed from Public>Home, router was reset to default, or the NSA agent got sloppy when using their backdoor.

Can you pull up the share just for fun?
Start>Run>\\BRCM-LVG

Log into the router and disable any filesharing related functions. There a few scenarios: Windows firewall settings were changed from Public>Home, router was reset to default, or the NSA agent got sloppy when using their backdoor.
I can't log into the router remotely anymore. A couple months ago I disabled the DHCP function on the Netgear router to function as a switch. It sits behind a Technicolor modem from my service provider. So I'll have to plug in directly and check for file sharing.

if it is the router showing up on the network, then it has an IP address.

if it is the router showing up on the network, then it has an IP address.
It's acting as a switch and does not show up anymore.

The new modem is assigning addresses 10.0.0.x and the router/switch address is 192.168.0.1.

Interesting thing is when the Server PC (raid-1) is in a low power state (S3) the media server/computer labeled BRCM-LVG is not visible on the network.

Back