Branch Office NAS with Windows Storage Server?

joblo37pam

2[H]4U
I'm looking for some recommendation on a NAS to deploy for a client with a few small branch offices. They have an existing Windows Server network, so integrating with AD is a must. I would prefer one that is Windows Storage Server based, so I can use some of the other features like the print server role, storage spaces, DFS, shadow copies, etc. I have used Synology in the past with good results, but the AD integration will never be as good as native Windows. The biggest of these branch offices has 4 employees with about 10GB of user data total, but I plan to use the NAS boxes for profile data redirection and backing up data from other branches, so I want something that will be solid and comes with factory warranty (no diy).

In the little bit of digging I've done, I've come up with these:

1. WD Sentinel Series (DX4000 specifically) - Good price, but runs on 2008 instead of 2012. 12 is only available on their higher end models.

2. Seagate STDM4000100 - Specs look fine and I like the option of the bay for a backup drive.

3. Buffalo Terrastation WSS 5200 series - similar to Seagate, but without the bay for external.

Am I missing any? For the project budget, it would be best if we could stay in the $1k range per unit, but if we can get significant improvement by bending that a bit, I can make the pitch. Does anyone have experience to share with the units above or any others that fit the description? Your input is appreciated

Back