Bought a ti, now i need to protect it. PS time.

bluesynk

Limp Gawd
So I have a survivor corsair HX520 that has been with me through 3 systems. Being at the bottom of powerful enough and its age (10+) and spending $700 on a ti means its time to replace.

Im on a z170 matx board so no fancy rgb stuff is necessary. I do run 1.35v overclocked 6600k @4.6 and over volt ram so dont want to push minimums. Other than that 5 case fans, 2 spinner disks, and a m.2

I'm thinking 650 should be safe with enough overhead for overclocking.

Im looking at SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
CORSAIR RMx Series RM750X
FSP Group Hydro G Series HG750

The ti should be here Tuesday Wednesday so I dont have the regular time id spend on the research. Im in the $100 price range. Are there any stand outs in this range? anything I should add to compare? Oh and i would prefer 2 separate cables for vga over the Double cables and I dont want a extra cpu power cable floating around in the case.

Most modular PSUs nowadays will come with the double PCI-E cable in the interest of saving modular connector space and being able to use the same cables across the power lineup. Maybe the lower power ones will have single connectors, but I don't recall any that do. None of the ones you listed come with single PCI-E cables. All are fully modular and you can choose what cables to attach. The SuperNova G2 comes with a dual connector CPU cable. BTW, I found all this out in 10 minutes of google searches. Jonnyguru has reviewed each of the power supplies you listed, and his reviews include a table of cables included.

650 watts is definitely more than enough. 550 watts is also more than enough to give you overclocking headroom, as you will most likely max out in the 500 watt range. All of the ones you listed are good power supplies, and I would just pick the cheapest one. Seasonic, Corsair, and EVGA are known for their excellent customer service.

Ended up going with this
https://m.newegg.com/product/index?itemNumber=N82E16817438094

17-438-094-01.jpg

Evga supernova g3.
Has dual and single vga cables.
Has caps in cables though.

Last edited:
You get only one dual and one single PCI-E power cables. With your 1080ti, you will be forced to use the dual cable unless you buy an additional cable.

Back