Bought a new PC

Jaxor

n00b
Hi [H]Members, I'm new here. This is my very first post. I'm excited about becoming a member of this community and interacting with all of you knowledgeable folks. Well right now I have a P4 2.8, 512RD, 9700Pro PC. I recently bought some parts off of Newegg.com to build a new PC. I just want to first off run this by you guys, and see if I chose the correct parts.

AMD 3500+ Venice SSEC3 - ATHLON 64 PCI-E
2GB 3200 Corsair Ram (2-2-3-6)
160 GB SATA Seagate HD
256MB XFS 6800GT x1 PCI-E
ASUS A8N nForce4 SLI mobo
560 watt PSU
Sony 16X DVD
NEC DVD+/-RW 16X
Flopyy drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
2 case fans running at 32.11 cfm/25 dba
2 case fans running at 84.1 cfm/55.2 dba (bit loud, but freaking kool)
AMD CPU FAN/Heatsink (air flow- 26.5 ~ 79.92 cfm)
Rounded IDE cables/Sata cable
CoolmasterATX case

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-119-035-14.JPG

Do you guys think this was a good upgrade for $2000? And how long do you reckon it will last me?

Those two 55dB fans, those are tornado's right? Or something similar? You might wanna consider a change in that. I am one of those people that can stand loud noises, can sleep through anything, etc, and got a few of them. It's annoying to have to wear headphones to hear things clearly at low volume with them, and they just sort of get on your nerves after awhile. I had 4 of them, 3 80mm and 1 92mm, and I would sleep in the same room with them. I had no problem getting to sleep, it's just the fact that it gets very annoying having this loud wooshing sound all the time. May want to only get 1 at first to decide if you like it, then you can sell it if you don't.

Sorry for hotlinking Lethal, that was stupid of me. But those fans are that loud? Wow... I was assuming they might be annoying, but not disturbing.

55DB will grate on your nerves. Is the 2GB in two sticks or four? If it's in four, you might want to change that. You might also want to look into an Enermax, Fortron, Antec, or PCP&C if you are planning an SLI rig.

The 2GB ram is 4 sticks... I know somone told me I should look into just two 1GB sticks so that I can upgrade later, but Newegg was out, so I had to opt for buying them somewhere else. And the DB can't be louder than my Alienware right now. This thing has 4 fans that just blare man. I've grown used to it, I did weigh the pros and cons of getting those heavy fans, that's why I only got 2 of the loud ones. I got 2 quieter ones so that I wouldn't have to hear a jet in the room :p

I seriously doubt Alienware uses 4X 55db fans. You do know that the noise doubles every 3 db, right? So these fans are approx 7X louder than a standard 35db case fan?

I can assure you you'll want to get rid of them once you hear them. :D

Seriously...? Wow. Darn. Lol. Well I guess I'll send them back and buy 2 more of the same I have now.

I had to work on a system with 1 of the Tornado fans in it the other day. I had to put the system in the back room and only go in there when it really needed my attention. I hate loud dan noise. I litteraly couldn't stand to be in the same room as that thing. That was just 1 fan, I would hate to think what 2 of them would sound like. Personally I like the fans that Antec makes. I have quite a few of them in the different systems I have laying about.

Do you know the amperage on that PSU, specifically for the 12V rail(s). If you don't have at least 30A total, you might be in upgrade hell. If you really want the best you can get, go with a PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI, but if not, something like an Enermax EG701AX is another alternative.

Back