Boot from pci sata card

Mccaula718

Gawd
Father in law gave me his computer that wouldn't boot. Verified that the data ports are no longer working by booting ubuntu live usb. If I buy a pci(express) sata card will I be able to boot from hard drives connected to it?

Father in law gave me his computer that wouldn't boot. Verified that the data ports are no longer working by booting ubuntu live usb. If I buy a pci(express) sata card will I be able to boot from hard drives connected to it?

Were you able to see the SATA devices connected to any of the ports when booted into the usb ubuntu? If so, it is likely a BIOS contention problem (out of address space, wrond boot device/controller chosen). Can you give us a little more info? Motherboard, BIOS, SATA devices and which specific ports they are connected to?

Booting from hard drives with a SATA card is no problem but may require reconfiguring the BIOS to boot from a card before booting from the motherboard's built-in controller. OTOH booting a CD or DVD with such a card often doesn't work.

If I buy a pci(express) sata card will I be able to boot from hard drives connected to it?
Depending upon equipment, maybe yes and maybe no but in my house it'd be in the trash can. :D

Depending upon equipment, maybe yes and maybe no but in my house it'd be in the trash can. :D

It's a phenom x4 with 8gb of ram. It's not bleeding edge but it will be used as a Htpc in the bedroom. Already salvaged the blueray drive and 1 tb hd for the main Htpc.

I'll have to do some more troubleshooting but the devices weren't recognized in the bios.

Remove the processor + RAM and buy a cheapo MB. Maybe even used from Ebay.

If the data ports are not working who knows what'll go next?

Good Luck!

Back