BOINC

The 750Ti runs the Einstein Gamma Ray Pulsar Search 3 faster than a Titan or a 780Ti... 5400 seconds vs 5800 seconds on average.
No clue where your even getting that info. When GPUGRID failed I tried Eienstein only because you seemed to be successful at it on your 750Ti. I really want to run GPUGRID but I don't know how to fix it, if it's even possible. Are you running multiple instances of Einstein to load up your GPU to 100%?

That guy has Titans and a 780Ti. And this guy has a 750Ti. Just one instance though. Two instances will increase the times slightly. No need for an app config XML in Einstein. You can set it on you're account page under Einstein Preferences and GPU utilization factor. I'll try attaching to GPUGrid tonight to see what it does.

You can set it on you're account page under Einstein Preferences and GPU utilization factor.

GPU utilization factor of BRP apps
DANGEROUS! Only touch this if you are absolutely sure of what you are doing!
Wrong setting might even damage your computer! Use solely on your own risk!
Min: 0.0 / Max: 1.0 / Default: 1.0

GPU utilization factor of FGRP apps
DANGEROUS! Only touch this if you are absolutely sure of what you are doing!
Wrong setting might even damage your computer! Use solely on your own risk!
Min: 0.0 / Max: 1.0 / Default: 1.0

Those? Seems scary. :eek:

What do I do? Increase one or both to two?

And is it ok to change the preferences for my CPU to no so WCG can run?

Hehe, it does warn ya off pretty well doesn't it. .5 will let two run, .25 will let 4 run at a time if memory is available.

And yep, that should be alright. You can also just suspend WCG from the project list in the BOINC app too.

Those are meant to scare novices from playing with things that could damage your card. Basically stressing them too hard. Again, changing the preferences at the project applies to all of your computers. So, if you have any that you don't want running multiples, then app_config is the better choice. If all your rigs can handle those settings, then changing it at the project is simpler.

Whether to change one or both is up to you. I don't have your cards, so I can't advise on how efficient they run there. I have read people running 5 or more work units on 7970's at some projects in the past. So, it will basically come down to you finding your sweet spot.

Yes it is ok to change the CPU setting to "no" so that WCG can run on them.

I will point out that it probably isn't necessary to change the CPU setting to NO unless you just prefer to force it to run that way. BOINC manager will tally the amount of run time given to each of the projects which lumps GPU run time and CPU run time together when it calculates how it regulates the project weight. So, if you have 1 GPU in a single core computer, it will typically run the project with both GPU and CPU on the GPU while running the CPU only project on the CPU. It isn't a perfect system, so sometimes the CPU app from Einstein may still run. Now on systems with several cores, then you may want to disable CPU work if you want the CPU to only go to CPU only projects. It all comes down to user preference.

Again, changing the preferences at the project applies to all of your computers. So, if you have any that you don't want running multiples, then app_config is the better choice.
All projects or just Einstein? I'm only running Einstein on the one computer, the one with the pair of 750Ti cards and that's only because GPUGRID won't run.

All projects or just Einstein? I'm only running Einstein on the one computer, the one with the pair of 750Ti cards and that's only because GPUGRID won't run.

Just Einstein. Einstein doesn't have any control over the other projects which is good. :)

Using .5 for the 2 GPU preference settings got 2 more instances of Einstein running on my GPUs. There's a total of 4 running now on the GPUs. I don't seem to be able to get Einstein to stop running on my CPUs though and that's killing 2 of my GPU instances.

Hop into the boinc application settings and set the CPU usage to something lower.

Hop into the boinc application settings and set the CPU usage to something lower.
I can't find a page where I can vary CPU usage.

On the Einstein@Home preferences page I set:
Use CPU Enforced by version 6.10+ = no
Run CPU versions of applications for which GPU versions are available = no

On the BOINC Stats page (BAM! :: Hosts per project) I put a check mark in the box "Do Not Use CPU"

How many freaking places do I have to tell it to stop using the CPU?

...... Again, changing the preferences at the project applies to all of your computers......

Not totally right, in all BOINC projects you can define 4 profiles with different settings that can be assigned to different computers: default, work, home and school.

It will be under the tools tab in the boinc app itself. Should be computing preferences, and then under the processor usage tab. That'll tell the boinc app itself how many threads to use. Hope that helps!

Wow, gpu load is low. And temps are really low! It should be able to handle two more perhaps. The time will be lowered, but that's 3333 points per WU though.

On the BOINC Stats page (BAM! :: Hosts per project) I put a check mark in the box "Do Not Use CPU"

The CPU utilisation you're seeing is probably just what you GPU Einstein units need to run. If you show the processes tab in the Task Manager we will see which programs are using the CPU.

Trotador22 you are correct. However, I was leaving the in detailed configuration options on the website for later tips. However, yes, you can set up different profile settings and then change the profile each computer/device uses from the website.

Chelsea, if you abort the CPU work units you currently have, you shouldn't download more if you told the Einstein profile to not run CPU. The setting to not run GPU or CPU only really tells BOINC whether to download that kind of work. Your client on the PC however could be tweaked in a few different ways. I don't think reducing the CPU amount is the way to go. With higher grade GPU's, it is typically best to reserve an entire core/thread for each GPU. (not task by the way) You can reserve these core/threads in your BOINC Manager under Preferences => Processor usage => On multiprocessor systems, use at most X % of the Processors. 99% will set aside one core/thread. If you need 2 or more reserved, just lower the number to a lower percentage.

A second option would be to use an app_config/cc_config setup to tell BOINC what apps to run. However, that isn't really the easier route.

By reducing the % of Processors you will also reduce the number of cores/threads available for CPU project like WCG. However, many people find the performance gain at GPU projects to outweigh the minor CPU utilization.

Hahaha. I often times feel the same way. the configuration of BOINC projects are diverse - which is good for users, its just a pain to get there.

My guess is that if you have told Einstein@Home to:
then you should be good. I would guess the units that are currently executing on your CPU were already downloaded to your queue before these settings were updated to your client. Since your client has already been assigned these tasks they will finish even though your settings have changed. As these finish you shouldn't get any CPU-only tasks.

It is normal for the GPU tasks to use some CPU - which Im guessing that you expected.

The processor usage tab in the preferences will only change processor usage on that system as a whole, not for specific projects. So for instance if I only wanted BOINC to use 3 cores on my quad core, I could use 75% in the multiprocessor systems option. This will result in only 3 cores being dedicated to BOINC, but those 3 cores can be used by ANY project and ANY WU that you have downloaded in your queue.
Hope this helps.

ChelseaOilman under tools set CPU usage XX% I have 80% on the 2700k it uses 5 cores for docing and the other 3 are left for GPUGrid, it should work the same for what you are trying to do

mog3.png

Trotador22 is further correct in his observation of your CPU usage. Since you told the Einstein GPU apps to use .5 CPU each, they are basically reserving half a thread/core. However, they may not actually need a full half thread/core the whole time.

JTG, did you ever get this figured out? http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=3630#35106 It looks like from your computer list, that it still doesn't see a GPU. http://www.gpugrid.net/hosts_user.php?userid=102632

By the way, let us know how you have your setup and I'm sure we can get you going again. They are right that XP and Linux out perform Vista/7/8/8.1 if you are looking to fully maximize your output. However, keep in mind XP 32 bit's Ram limitations. I don't know if XP 64bit works the same or not. I did very little testing of XP 64bit.

My suggestions are:
1. Make sure your not running BOINC as a service.
2. Check your drivers. Load up GPU-z and make sure it detects your card as having CUDA. (I recommend checking OpenCL too for potential future offerings)
3. If you have more than one card in the device, take one out and see if the problem continues. I have seen some systems not like more than one GPU and weird things start to happen. Then start there on troubleshooting other possibilities.
4. Turn off Aero because it sometimes causes problems with GPU apps.

Last edited:
For those having troubles with getting their 750Ti's working on GPUGrid, please post in this forum http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=3603#34732 so that they are aware of who has them and therefore can get additional info. With new designs comes potential problems. They may have to tweak their app like they did for the Titan's.

Again but now more official as it's been talked about at MWC.

Again but now more official as it's been talked about at MWC.

Any idea if it is still BOINC but with a different wrapper on it? Or if it still allows to be part of a team like the BOINC clients work? Or is this anonymous donation that gets all lumped into an HTC team at those projects......

Looking more into it, it seems based on BOINC, and headed by the project director of BOINC, so hopefully that means that there will be team and identity integration. It'll be released to more phones soon as well. It's either an improved BOINC, a competitor from the same creator, or I have no idea. Either way, it's an excellent idea to get more people involved without burdening anyone who might think it would make their phone unusable.

On another note, remember those ads about HTC where HTC was an acronym for whatever? Now it can mean High Throughput Computing...

My concern is that just because it was based on BOINC doesn't mean you get the credit or your team for that matter. Check into Charity Engine. Supporting it, (BOINC) all goes to a Charity Engine team instead of your own. Then, you have SONY who installed WCG's version of BOINC on thousands of their Vaios. By default it is setup to use team SONY. I also noticed that article mention FAH in the writing but none of the videos (at least that I noticed) mentioned FAH. I am highly doubting that FAH is involved at all....

I bring this up because if you read some of the comments in the Play Store for BOINC, some people are really put off by having to create multiple accounts at each of the projects. So, some would be better off with a single app for a specific project. However, those of us who like variety would prefer the current setup.

Ah, I see the trickery that some companies go to to reward themselves now. I suppose I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the BOINC creator and SETI creator are helping create this particular app, so perhaps the ability to set specific teams and accounts will be there. But, I can see why a unified experience would work better for the masses. We can only wait and see! I think there is an open beta sometimes soon, so mayhaps I'll have to acquire an HTC phone to play with this app.

So I'm thinking of switching from Folding back to BIONC. I did it a while back in 2007 for Xtreme Systems when I got tired of Folding back then.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/detail/57025/overview

So my questions are:

(1) How do I change teams to the [H]?

(2) What projects are the favorites around here?

(3) What projects best fit my current rig?

Core i7 930 @ 2.8ghz (not O/C)
12GB DDR3 1600
XFX 7850 not O/C
Win 7 64 bit.

Kai, if I'm not mistaken, David Anderson (the creator of BOINC) also directly helped and pushed Charity Engine. So, I don't think he really cares about the Teams and credit but rather just finding the most possible resources....

So I'm thinking of switching from Folding back to BIONC. I did it a while back in 2007 for Xtreme Systems when I got tired of Folding back then.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/detail/57025/overview

So my questions are:

(1) How do I change teams to the [H]?

(2) What projects are the favorites around here?

(3) What projects best fit my current rig?

Core i7 930 @ 2.8ghz (not O/C)
12GB DDR3 1600
XFX 7850 not O/C
Win 7 64 bit.

1. You change the team name at the individual project or you can do it from an account manager website like BOINCStats. Do you have BOINCStats setup and in use or do you attach everything manually? Also, keep in mind there are a hand hull of projects that use a slightly different team name!

2. This is hard to say since we have a lot of members currently switching from FAH. WCG is definitely a crowd favorite. However, there are a good number of us trying to push our position at the DC-Vault. So, whatever project benefits our over all score there would be great too. But if you are looking to pick one, WCG for CPU's, GPUGrid for nVidia GPU's, and hopefully soon POEM for CPU/nVidia/AMD and maybe Intel but that last one is just being hopeful.

3. That 7850 currently is only supported at non-bio projects. So it just depends on what you are interested in. Take a look at my all inclusive DC list. I have labeled what hardware each pretty much support. Once you have an idea of interest we could give you some more suggestions. Basically until POEM has their GPU apps ready you can choose from

Astronomy/astrophysics
Mathematics
RainbowTable Generation

List There is also a post here that tells you which projects have different team names:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1801908

Kai, if I'm not mistaken, David Anderson (the creator of BOINC) also directly helped and pushed Charity Engine. So, I don't think he really cares about the Teams and credit but rather just finding the most possible resources....

Can't blame him really. While the points are awesome. He's clearly motivated by the science. So that's both a good thing and a bad thing for us.

WCG BETA test

We will be starting a new version of Mapping Cancer Markers that addresses a checkpoint issue with certain work unit types. This test will be rather large. We request that during this beta test you attempt to perform at least 1 restart. You can do this by either suspending the work unit with "Leave Application in Memory" turned off or by restarting your computer.

The version being tested on BETA will be version 7.29. All PC versions will be tested.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,36380

Good news, everyone!

Finally we have a running Windows version.
I've just made a release on the Test Server.
Feel free to attach your Windows hosts now.

Please report errors here, NOT in the Test Server message boards. If your computer successfully finishes some tasks, please suspend the project to leave enough jobs in the queue for other participants.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/forum_thread.php?id=1028&postid=9382#9382

Back