Blu-Ray Question

samops03

Gawd
OK so i just got a new TV (LG 55LA7400) and i have an internal Blu-Ray drive which plays movies with Total Media Theater. Since the input is marked as "PC" all the image enhancement features are disabled. The TV is forced into 1080P @ 60Hz. The question is, would my movies look better through a stand alone Blu Ray player with 240Hz and all the other stuff enabled? Ive done some reading but a lot of the information is contradicting. Maybe someone here could shed some light for me.... Thanks!

If you don't use an HDMI input then you will likely not get all the features (if any).
Is you *are* using HDMI, then there is no difference between the TV's inputs.

Personally, I hate the frame interpolation that many new TV's enable by default (marketed as high refresh rates)... I would rather have it disabled.

That said, most hollywood films are shot at 24fps (or some multiple) with most TV shows shot at 30fps (or some multiple). In this case, the benefit of a 240Hz TV is that it can natively refresh in a multiple of either rate.
A 60Hz set will use something called 3:2 pulldown to display your 24fps content... though most people never notice it.

If you don't use an HDMI input then you will likely not get all the features (if any).
Is you *are* using HDMI, then there is no difference between the TV's inputs.

Personally, I hate the frame interpolation that many new TV's enable by default (marketed as high refresh rates)... I would rather have it disabled.

That said, most hollywood films are shot at 24fps (or some multiple) with most TV shows shot at 30fps (or some multiple). In this case, the benefit of a 240Hz TV is that it can natively refresh in a multiple of either rate.
A 60Hz set will use something called 3:2 pulldown to display your 24fps content... though most people never notice it.

Im using HDMI, and when i label that input as "PC" it disables all of the features. The Blu-Rays look fine playing at 60Hz though. Also, i have a cable card, and im watching TV through WMC so image processing is not working on that either (Since its the same input)

Why are you using the "PC" input as opposed to any other HDMI input?

If you are using an 3rd party software to play Blu-Ray movies through WMC, you can set the application to play the movie at the correct refresh rate which I think for film is 24hz @ 24 fps. I could be wrong with that actual figure though.

You can make it out put 24hz..I have xbmc setup to do this.. Whatever the movie is setup for it changes from 1080p@60 to 1080@24hz when the movie starts.. Helps with the audio not being in sync with lips witch drives me up the wall lol.

Back