Blow Hole worth it?

S

splinter3k

Like the topic says, is it worth, will I get a decent temp drop (more than 3-5 degrees all the way around). I've got a Zalman slim 80mm I would like to run at 5v or 7v, thinking of a blow hole top side. Specs are...

SK41G
Athlon XP 2000+ (Thorton core 266FSB)
2x256MB Corsaird DDR
eVGA GeForce4 MX 440
Samsung SpinPoint 80GB
Lite On DVD/CD-RW
Mandrake Linux

Temps are System 41
CPU 45
PWM 42

idle and load goes about 3-5 higher. So, what do ya' think, worth it or not?

run ur system without the cover on, and see if the temps change, if the difference in temps is what your looking for, yea then go for the blowhole,

more than 3-5c is much for a blowhole, but i've seen it happen before,

from the looks of ur specs, dont' look like ur giong to overclock anytime soon, or running any kind of hot hardware, so why lower the temps?
-yea i do understand lower temps = longer lengivity blah blah, but if your not OCing or have high heat problems, don't worry about it

I agree my temps aren't really out of line, more than anything I worry about hard drive life. At some point I will upgrade the video card to something more respectable, plus I just think it looks cool so if it takes more than 3-5 degrees off it's worth it, but if it will only knock off say 1-2 degrees, I'm not sure I want to cut my case. What's a typical temp drop for something like this?

with ur current hardware, 1-2c drop at most

if your that worried about ur hard drive cooling, mount a fan on the bottom of the hard drive holder, and point it up towards the hard drive,

i have the same setup, but my fan points down towards the ram/northbridge, and it cools the cpu about 2c, and this is with a noisy 60mm from a stock amd heatsink...

Hard Drive life? LOL with a system temp of 41C I think you will be replacing the HDD way before it dies.

I don't see why a HDD wouldn't last 10 years in those conditions.

agentzero9 said:
Hard Drive life? LOL with a system temp of 41C I think you will be replacing the HDD way before it dies.

I don't see why a HDD wouldn't last 10 years in those conditions.

Ya' think, that strikes me as hot, but I have always been a little paranoid about temps.

Back