Block IE access for standard user in Windows 7

I have two user accounts on my computer and would like to block access to Internet Explorer on the standard account but can't seem to find a way of doing this.

Any suggestions?

If you enable parental controls on the account you can block access to specific programs.

You can also look into AppLocker and Software Restriction policies, depending on the version of Win7 you are using.

Local GPO. Parental controls would probably be the best route though.

Another vote for using Parental Controls. Works great for a PC that I have setup in the back room of one of our restaurants to keep the night shift kids from messing around on it. It even sends you email alerts when someone tries to access websites.

I took a look at Parental Controls but when I added iexplore.exe to the list of programs to block I received "C:\...\iexplore.exe cannot be added to the list. This application is always allowed to run."

I also tried using AppLocker and Software Restriction Policies but when I added iexplore.exe to the list it made no difference at all.

What I've ended up doing is setting IE to use a proxy server of 0.0.0.0 for that particular user and modified the registry to restrict them from reverting the changes. I'm not impressed with this solution but it will have to do for now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

I took a look at Parental Controls but when I added iexplore.exe to the list of programs to block I received "C:\...\iexplore.exe cannot be added to the list. This application is always allowed to run."

I think you're doing it wrong. I don't block IE itself, instead I block IE's ability to go to any websites.

If all else fails i'm sure you could ghetto rig it by adding an invalid proxy so the browser stalls trying to reach any website.

*edit

What I've ended up doing is setting IE to use a proxy server of 0.0.0.0 for that particular user and modified the registry to restrict them from reverting the changes. I'm not impressed with this solution but it will have to do for now.

Hahaha, I guess i'm too late.

You can remove it under programs/features > Windows components and it even removes iexplore.exe but the API is still there for use I don't think there's any way to block that (IEtab in firefox still works, for e.g.)

Back