Blizzard games are coming to Steam

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Microsoft revealed today that it plans to bring a "selection" of games to Steam now that the major roadblocks in the way of their acquisition of Activision Blizzard are out of the way. The first game coming to Steam is Overwatch 2, and will be available starting August 10. A Battle.net account will still be required to play the game. Steam features such as friends list and achievements will be supported, and crossplay with the Battle.net version will be possible. It doesn't look like the Battle.net software is required to be installed to play the Steam version.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23982127/overwatch-2-coming-to-steam-on-august-10

Holy crap that was fast. They must have already been working on this the entire time the lawsuits were in play correct?

Holy crap that was fast. They must have already been working on this the entire time the lawsuits were in play correct?
Im sure internally their legal department told them "just plan on this purchase going through". It would be crazy not to.

I'm having a senior moment here.

What are some of Blizzard's big titles again?

I'm all in favor of this, but fuck them if they try to force tyou to install their own launcher/store front and create an account in it as part of the install from Steam. That practice ought to be banned. Every time I buy a game like that on Steam I instantly refund it, and instead play the community edition.

Edit:

Ah, that's why I can't remember what their games are.

Last two Blizzard titles I played were Warcraft II and Starcraft in 1995 and 1998 respectively.

It's been a while :p

I understand there are a lot of people who are realy into World of Warcraft, but to me they ahve been completely irrelevant to gaming since the mid to late 90's.

I'm all in favor of this, but fuck them if they try to force tyou to install their own launcher/store front and create an account in it as part of the install from Steam. That practice ought to be banned. Every time I buy a game like that on Steam I instantly refund it, and instead play the community edition.
world of warcraft, starcraft, diablo, overwatch...

Edit:

Last two Blizzard titles I played were Warcraft II and Starcraft in 1995 and 1998 respectively.

I understand there are a lot of people who are realy into World of Warcraft, but to me they ahve been completely irrelevant to gaming since the mid to late 90's.

From what I read, you will have to have a battle.net account but won't have to install the bnet launcher to run the Steam version of Overwatch.

He asked for BIG titles. So CoD and Candy Crush.

By big I just meant ones I would have heard of.

I remembered Blizzard being a big name in gaming, but for whatever reason I couldn't put my finger on it.

Turns out that's because other than testing, I haven't played anything Blizzard since the 90's.

I enjoyed the original Warcraft and Warcraft 2 (You want axe?) and I remember playing a few games of Starcraft (construct more pylons) in the late 90's (but only a little, by 1998 I had already mostly grown tired of the RTS genre as a whole)

In college 20+ years ago my roommate made me try Diablo II. (clicky clicky clicky) and I hated it. Then a few years ago, I tested out overwatch to see if it was appropriate for my then 11 year old stepson, but I never really played that either.

I was never an Everquest / World of Warcraft kind of guy.

Hopefully Battle.net will bite the big one soon and everything will be ported to Steam a la the Bethesda Launcher.

Ah. Lame.

I have been maintaining a strict "absolutely no new accounts (or apps on my phone) for any reason ever" diet since 2017.

The only two game-related accounts I have are Steam and GoG (no EGS, no Discord, etc.) and if any organization tries to force me to create one, I get real petty and go to any means to screw them as much as possible.

I don't have a Microsoft account, and if I ever have to create one rather than just using 100% local accounts for every account on a machine, I'll just stop using Windows.

I wish I had had this policy longer, but sadly you can't put the genie back in the bottle :(

As long as MS does not force me to use some Xbox or Windows log in for Blizz games in general or on Steam I'm fine with them buying Blizz/Activision. At least it gets Bobby Kotek out. Long term though, they'll probably force everyone to whatever their latest stupid xbox/windows account stuff.
My first time running into something like this was 2 days ago when Epic Games had Sims4 up for free (so I can live the life I have always wanted to), and the install wanted me to install another companies launcher as well... EAs to be exact.

Shame, now I'll never get to live it up.

Overwatch no's are down. But this won't help. Now if they had done this 2-3 years ago? Yes, I think so. Either way I'm not re installing it anytime soon steam or not.

Edit:

I think it may be you who is completely irrelevant to gaming since the 90s. :)

Hopefully Battle.net will bite the big one soon and everything will be ported to Steam a la the Bethesda Launcher.
I imagine all that will be left on Bnet is World of Warcraft due to how its subscriptions work. They did say a "selection" of games, so it's going to stick around for some things.

Mike Ybarra confirmed on Twitter that you will not need the Battle.net client installed to play the Steam version. Including a Nitter link since Elon has been pulling some shenanigans on the platform recently.

https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1681720303389667328
https://nitter.1d4.us/Qwik/status/1681720303389667328
1689797605535.png

I imagine all that will be left on Bnet is World of Warcraft due to how its subscriptions work. They did say a "selection" of games, so it's going to stick around for some things.

Personally, I just want the Diablo titles to move over so I can uninstall Battle.net forever. Those are the only reasons I have it now. Everything else (like Destiny and such) moved on years ago.

As long as MS does not force me to use some Xbox or Windows log in for Blizz games in general or on Steam I'm fine with them buying Blizz/Activision. At least it gets Bobby Kotek out. Long term though, they'll probably force everyone to whatever their latest stupid xbox/windows account stuff.
So many gods damned login tools already that the removal of one and its replacement with another doesn't even phase me at this stage. I've lost count of how many different ones I would need to install to play my whole library, and some I am only now realizing I don't have installed.

So many gods damned login tools already that the removal of one and its replacement with another doesn't even phase me at this stage. I've lost count of how many different ones I would need to install to play my whole library, and some I am only now realizing I don't have installed.
I think at some point there will be so many launchers that the next logical step is each game gets its own launcher and we will have come full circle.

I think at some point there will be so many launchers that the next logical step is each game gets its own launcher and we will have come full circle.
Then Epic will come in as the dashing hero and be like "Hey are you tired of all those launchers, well we've created a launcher that injects into other launchers so you can launch all your launchers from our one launcher, without directly launching those launchers so they don't launch."
Then nobody will use it because of the fear it's sending our brainwaves and fan curve settings to Tencent and Netease.

Then Epic will come in as the dashing hero and be like "Hey are you tired of all those launchers, well we've created a launcher that injects into other launchers so you can launch all your launchers from our one launcher, without directly launching those launchers so they don't launch."
This feels eerily like how buying an Ubisoft game on Steam actually works.

I’m actually shocked they didn’t go the other way and use Battle.net as their own E-store. Maybe that will be in the future.

Its already here.... many Steam games now have their own launchers or launchers for the game publisher. Funcom and 2K are guilty of it.

Long term though, they'll probably force everyone to whatever their latest stupid xbox/windows account stuff.
"Welcome to the new Battle.Net Launcher, powered by Microsoft(r) Games for Windows(tm)! Soon, you'll have to migrate your battle.net account to a Microsoft account"

They did it to Minecraft.

If anything, the number of launchers has actually gone down in the last few years. The situation was worse a few years ago. If Battle.net gets killed off, we're mostly down to Steam, Epic, Ubi, EA, and Microsoft. At least that are full-on required. There are a couple niche ones (like Rockstar's), but those are the main ones that actually have decent libraries attached.

Good news everyone!

Step 2 is Extend!
Step 3, fuck it up so a 3'rd party can swoop in with a better product that Microsoft will try desperately to clone and improve upon but ultimately fail at because that third party's userbase is completely entrenched so they instead look to purchase that 3'rd party's competitor.
See Step 1 for details.

Its already here.... many Steam games now have their own launchers or launchers for the game publisher. Funcom and 2K are guilty of it.

I'm not familiar with Funcom, but at least with 2K it is like with Cyberpunk, where you don't need an account.

It would be better if the developers launcher weren't there at all, but at least without needing an account to play an offline game I already own, it doesn't make my blood boil the same way.

I'm not familiar with Funcom, but at least with 2K it is like with Cyberpunk, where you don't need an account.

It would be better if the developers launcher weren't there at all, but at least without needing an account to play an offline game I already own, it doesn't make my blood boil the same way.
CD Projekt RED has a launcher of their own now on Steam, too, and it's not GOG. You can easily opt out of it, though, unlike the malware that is the 2K launcher.

Back