black bars after fresh install

northrop

grumman
This is driving me nuts.

Did a fresh install, no hardware was changed. After installing AMD drivers, the screen gets shifted to the left, and I get black bars on sides, and bottom. The only way to fix this right now, is to just uninstall the video drivers completely. :rolleyes: Scaling option appears to be disabled in CCC no matter what I do. Monitor is connected via HDMI.

And ideas?

Yes, everything was working fine before I decided to do a fresh install.

Last edited:
I've never had anything but problems when connecting a monitor via HDMI, regardless of the brand of card or monitor being used. It's gotten to the point where I tell everyone I know to avoid HDMI like the plague for PC connectivity because of it. It's always some weird scaling, game detection, driver, monitor sleep, or PC sleep issue, and it's always caused by HDMI.

This is ignoring the whole issue of where some monitors and all TVs have tuners (unless disabled) built in that add up to 250 ms input lag when connected via HDMI.

Unless it's actually a TV with no other options, I highly suggest using DVI or DP.

I've never had anything but problems when connecting a monitor via HDMI, regardless of the brand of card or monitor being used. It's gotten to the point where I tell everyone I know to avoid HDMI like the plague for PC connectivity because of it. It's always some weird scaling, game detection, driver, monitor sleep, or PC sleep issue, and it's always caused by HDMI.

This is ignoring the whole issue of where some monitors and all TVs have tuners (unless disabled) built in that add up to 250 ms input lag when connected via HDMI.

Unless it's actually a TV with no other options, I highly suggest using DVI or DP.

No problems with hdmi on my display here...but yea some of those tv's can be a nightmare

This is driving me nuts.

Did a fresh install, no hardware was changed. After installing AMD drivers, the screen gets shifted to the left, and I get black bars on sides, and bottom. The only way to fix this right now, is to just uninstall the video drivers completely. :rolleyes: Scaling option appears to be disabled in CCC no matter what I do. Monitor is connected via HDMI.

And ideas?

Yes, everything was working fine before I decided to do a fresh install.

Check the overscan options in the CCC (pic of where to find them in this thread) and just to be safe, make sure the monitor isn't set to some scaling mode like zoom or stretch.

Back