BitFenix Shinobi Window

cgrant26

2[H]4U
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/shinobi-window

Just picked one of these up from Microcenter yesterday as a temporary home for my Crosshair V build. I have to say, for the price I am very impressed. The cost at MC is $69.99 for the windowed version and $59.99 for the non-window version.

All the plastic pieces have a rubberized coating similar to what Logitech uses on several of their mouses. (like the MX1000) The build quality is very good with all the panels and lines matching up nicely. It has a lot of cable management features that are typical on high-end cases. There is a lot of space behind the motherboard tray and there are gobs of zip-strip loops to anchor wire bundles down and holes to route cables through .

All the drive bays have retention clips for quick and easy removal and the inside is painted black for a cleaner look. It has provisions for tons of 120mm and 140mm fans. (7 fans total not including the power supply fans) The fan grills also have removable mesh filters.

It has three 5.25" bays and a 5.25" adapter for a 3.5" device. (I used this for a Vantec Sunbeam fan/light controller) There are also 8 HDD bays which also have quick-release retention clips. The HDD bays are skinny which leaves plenty of room for large Vid cards. I was able to easily fit my HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 which is the longest card I've seen. (although that drive bay next to the card will have to remain empty)

I do have a few complaints about this case that some might consider deal-breakers, however, I felt they were minor issues for me. First off, the side panels feel flimsy. They could have used a heavier gauge steel on them. Next, while it's nice to have a motherboard tray with a cutout for CPU cooler back-plate access, the cutout does not quite reach the lower screws on AM2/AM3 boards. I'll probably just notch the opening myself to fix that. Last, the retention clips don't hold the drives very tight. They do hold the drives securely, but they are still loose enough to wiggle around and vibrate.

All in all, this case is an awesome choice for a budget case and I would definitely recommend it.

Legit Reviews has a spot-on review of this case up with a lot more detail. I'll post a link to it if I have mod approval.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, But i would have to go windowless due to the window being that triangle shape.

Thanks for the review, But i would have to go windowless due to the window being that triangle shape.
At first I didn't like the triangle window either; nor did I like the fact that it's tinted. I only went with it because 1) Microcenter didn't have any of the non-window versions and 2) only the windowed version comes with a bottom fan and HDD retention clips instead of screws. Now that I have it all set up with CCFLs in, the window is really beginning to grow on me. I still might just cut it out and do a full, clear, rectangular window.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the window also has another 120mm fan cutout. :)

I might pick up one this weekend at Microcenter! Right now I have a Core2Quad build in a god awful loaner case. Two 60 mm front fans, really?!?!

the retention clips don't hold the drives very tight. They do hold the drives securely, but they are still loose enough to wiggle around and vibrate.

Just how bad to drives "wiggle around and vibrate"?

Did you come up with a fix?

Back