Biostar TF560 A2+ board troubles.

Dethred

2[H]4U
So I built my fiance a machine for Christmas with a Brisbane 4000+ and 4gb of ram. About 50% of the time it hangs on boot at the memory recognition. When that happens it literally takes about 2 minutes to get past the initial boot screen. I guess its not too bad but sometimes it literally flashes each check for about 1 second and is in Vista within 15 seconds flat. Its really annoying waiting for 2 minutes while the machine is starting to boot. The motherboard has a default bios but it should be compatible with all the components, in windows the system is 100% stable even at 2.8ghz, but the problem happens no matter what I do.

Does this sound like a problem with the board or is this normal for this board? Does anyone else have any experience with this? I forgot what the exact wording of the memory detection is.

Any thoughts?

System specs:

Biostar TF560 A2+
AMD Brisbane 4000+ 2.1ghz
2x1gb of Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 and 2gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-667
Hiper Type R 580W PSU
320GB 7200.10 Barracuda
Nvidia 8600GT

Mine does that if I have a memory stick,mp3 player,etc plugged into a usb port on boot up....

Mines been a little flaky since I got it.(just to lazy to RMA it)

But it has always been boot and an error right away,or no-boot and beeps whenever I had things set wrong.

The only USB devices I have plugged in are the mouse, keyboard, and printer. I also installed a 3.5" card reader as well, but that is internal.

.... it looks like you're running 2 different brands and speeds of ram.... they're each probably compatible with your board, but they may not be playing nice by trying to run them together. Try taking out one set or the other and test it that way. You could also be running into problems by having all four ram slots populated....

I have decided to RMA refund the board tomorrow. I have run different sets of RAM in 4 slots on about 5 different motherboards and never came across the problem. Weirdest part for me is how it sometimes loads up without any delay. Back to Gigabyte. That puts Biostar, MSI, and Abit on the list of manufacturers I will never buy.

So you did not attempt to update your firmware or tweak your settings at all before RMA? I had a similar problem on an Nforce 550 board that a firmware update solved. I had all 4 sticks the same though, but was still hanging.

I realise that this is probably well out of date - it seems to me that you have issues peculiar to yourself. Having problems with MSI, Biostar and Abit indicates to me the common denominator.....

The sound advice given to NOT mix memory brands and types seems to have been completely ignored. Using different speeds of memory is even worse. One cannot expect any high performance board to cope correctly. And the Manual will tell you so. The Biostar board is a good choice, in the right hands.

Good luck with your next venture.

I ended up getting a gigabyte board that runs pretty well. No hanging issues on boot. I have a friend that RMA'ed his TF560 right after I ordered mine... for the same exact reason (2GB of RAM on his machine). I realize a 2-3 minute wait on boot isn't a terrible situation, seeing as it does get into windows, but if it won't run as well as another board it gets sent back.

I like the nvidia 560 - it is a neat and efficient 1 chip solution. I have the Gigabyte M56S-S3, MSI K9N V3 and the Biostar TF560 A2+.

They all have pros and cons - The Gig is the dearest (about £44) but offers Firewire and good build quality, though no solid caps. The MSI is the smallest and cheapest (£37) and is fast. It also has all solid caps. The Biostar is priced exactly between the two, but offers a very flexible BIOS and is well laid out.

I would recommend any of these.

I also have an MSI K9A2 CF, and have reservations about it. It works, but doesn't run Linux well and has suffered from odd stutters.

Back