Biostar P4M890 mATX Mobo Review

You lost me at "890."
The memory controller only runs on a single channel which means the processor will be bandwidth limited, it'll only be an issue when running database type software or video games.
Oops!

Memory is not a huge concern, but single vs dual channel is probably about a 5% performance loss. Does it overclock to 336 or 366? It's still pretty mediocre. There's gotta be a 945 board that offers the same stuff. Good for a folding board or printer server maybe.

Eh, if you really want to save $18, it's probably okay. Read those reviews though...

They said 336fsb with a E6600 (9multi) stable. So, 3.0GHz. Yeah, its a shame that is a single channel memory. Its considered a inexpensive entry level mobo.

Author said 336 and then 366 right below that. Probably the lower number, though.

I'll wait for Dillusion but it seems this board gets the thumbs down in terms of the performance mATX board we are looking for.

No dual channel mem is a real bummer on this chipset. Even abit has their own 890 board out, and it reportedly OC's well. But even with a 30mhz higher OC than you would get with a G965 or a 945, it wouldt matter because you LOSE performance due to the ram.

poop.

Well, like they wrote in the review, this board was meant for workstation/daily use purposes, not to break any mATX OC records. It's cheap, it's stable, it has most of the features people need, I think it's a great board for its purpose.

Yeah, I wouldnt say its a bad mobo but if we're looking for something to match the NF-M2 or exceed it then this mobo isnt it.

Back