Biostar M7NCD Ultra troubles

Twinkie

Gawd
Hey, gang.

My old KT266A board died so I had to purchase a new board. I decided I'd give the Biostar M7NCD Ultra a try (didn't want too spend much).

I have no video, no POST.

The CPU is an Athlon 1.4 and has been tested in another machine (Prime95).

The memory is 256 MB Crucial and has been tested in another machine (memtest).

The video card is a GF2 Ti and has been tested in another machine.

The HD is a 20 GB Western Digital and has been tested in another machine.

So far, I've tried:

Reseating the video card
Reseating the memory
Clearing the CMOS
Putting the FSB jumper into safe mode

Still no luck! Anything I might be overlooking or should try? I'm stumped.

Does the machine sound like its running, fans etc? Or does it blip on for one second then shut off? Describe the sequence of events from the moment you hit the power button. This will help us narrow down the list of causes.

A single memory stick must be placed in the first dimm slot, slots 2&3 are only for enabling dual channel. Even though you have a tested working stick of ram doesn't mean it's compatible, try to swap another stick to test out.

Have you carefully selected the correct bios options? fsb and voltages? default is usually ok, but sometime frontside bus can be off a bit. Remember that an athlon 1.4 runs at 133fsb/ddr266/pc2100 speeds, make sure the memory is configured properly to match cpu fsb in the bios (manually if necessary).

Select conservative memory timings example: Cas2-3-3-11 or Cas2.5-3-3-11 and test.

Make sure bios is configured to boot into agp mode (it defaults in pci mode for some reason).
Disable these via bios----> fast writes, copy any bios to ram, all speed spectrums, palette snoop.

Doublecheck your DMA Master/Slave chain and make sure your jumpers are set 100% correct. Temporarily disable unnecessary drives while troubleshooting.

Do you have the P4 12v 4pin connector attached to the mobo?

What power supply are you using? There's a chance your new mobo's voltage requirements have overtaxed your psu. Disconnect unnecessary drives + pci cards and test.

Read the manual setup chapter carefully if you haven't already.

Check back in with us.

Contacted Biostar and tried working through this with them, they suggest RMA'ing the board.

Everything is connected correctly. Fans spin, but no video output. Can't even get to the BIOS.

Tried other compatible DDR ram, same effect. Using a 300 watt PSU that powers up my seconday kt266a machine just fine.

I only have CPU, 1 memory stick, and a video card in, still only getting spinning fans. Probably going to RMA tomorrow.

Twinkie, had a similar thing happen with my son's NF7. He had an MSI FX5200 and I got the same thing happening. I swapped the card out for a Sapphire 9200 and it posted. Do you have a ATI based video card floating around? If you do, give it a shot.

I believe its your video card... I have a biostar M7NCD Pro - and it would not post with my geforce 2 gts - I bought a new 9600 and no problems...
With the older cards (gf2 for example) are not as 4x agp compatible as they were claimed.
try a friends newer vid card b4 dealing with an rma...

Back