BIOS Switch on R9 290?

sk3tch

2[H]4U
Does anyone else have a BIOS switch on their R9 290? I bought two Sapphires and they both have one. Maybe this first batch of R9 290s is just the 290X units that didn't "make the grade" (plus a 290 BIOS)?

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

It shows up "normal" in GPU-Z - so it's definitely a 290. Maybe we do just need a BIOS flash for these cards?? Hmm...

r9_290_gpu-z.png

I'll check mine in about an hour when UPS gets here. One of the reviews I read mentioned that their 290 had the bios switch too. Would be nice to have the 2nd bios for flashing. Although I don't think it's worth the 150 dollar premium for the 290x.

I thought that these were the same as 290x but with a different bios and a castrated gpu. Should have the bios switch. Probably has the same bios on both settings. Very handy. I've had to hotflash using the bios switch before.

I thought that these were the same as 290x but with a different bios and a castrated gpu. Should have the bios switch. Probably has the same bios on both settings. Very handy. I've had to hotflash using the bios switch before.

Yeah, I thought I had read in one review that the BIOS switch was "gone" - but maybe that was referring to the "Quiet" and "Uber" modes via BIOS switch.

Weird, just set up my 290x and I can't find the switch. Where should it be?

Of course there's a bios switch, just like the last generation it supports a dual-bios it gives users a fallback if they flash their card to death, and it gives add in board partners the ability to have separate bios profiles for overclocking.

Out of the box, the bios's should be the same on the 290, no difference if you flip the switch, same bios on both bios's.

Newegg is shafting me with my 290. I ordered Tuesday at 5am est and it won't be here till Tuesday!! Should have gone with amazon.

Really? What shipping did you use. Always use shoprunner. I ordered mine Tuesday and they just showed up.
A3umHmil.jpg

PZGwwuOl.jpg

rnPLSa9l.jpg

7nGDD8el.jpg

Super egg saver 4-7 day. The f ed me. Being in ma, if it ships from nj, I get it next day. If it ships from ca, it takes a week.

ya eggsaver always ends up with that smart post bullshit and it always takes 3-5 days longer than it should.

OP..

maybe Im just paranoid.. however when posting pics online (particularly if using iPhones) you may want to scrub the Exif data.. unless of course you dont care that everyone knows that you live on Melrose Ave..
after all police/homeland etc don't love Apple becuase of their good looks or awesome map App.

Super egg saver 4-7 day. The f ed me. Being in ma, if it ships from nj, I get it next day. If it ships from ca, it takes a week.

if you are in MA you will get it via Lasership.

Those guys are the worst, they jutst leave it wherever...

So does UPS. They rang my doorbell and left my 800 dollars worth of cards on the doorstep last night. Luckily I knew they were coming and expected them.

Back