Bind Reverse Lookup

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
Im setting up my Bind server and just have a few questions reguarding Reverse DNS.

Can I have multiple hostnames for one IP in my reverse zone? So if I lookup 1.1.1.1 it returns 3 or 4 different hostnames?

The reason I ask. I have multiple daemons on one IP. So if I have 1.1.1.1 resolving to mail.domain.com and ns1.domain.com. When mail servers do a reverse lookup on my IP what will they see? Will everything work ?

Reverse DNS confuses me a little as I havent had access to change it in the past.

Unlike A and AAAA records I don't belive PTR records can have multiple responses. Let me check my book a minute.
EDIT: Yea, my DNS and Bind book says PTR records should only have one hostname per IP, but you can have multiple. The problem is most systems are not expecting more then one and might react in odd fashion.

Xipher said:
Unlike A and AAAA records I don't belive PTR records can have multiple responses. Let me check my book a minute.
EDIT: Yea, my DNS and Bind book says PTR records should only have one hostname per IP, but you can have multiple. The problem is most systems are not expecting more then one and might react in odd fashion.
Great. That helps. Well helps in the fact that I know. But not in what I want to do. haha

I guess I'll have to have one hostname for all mailservers across multiple domains.

Back