Biggest computer lie ever told

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
This computer is never obsolete. :p

emachine.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

IIRC, those crap boxers were obsolete before they even hit store shelves, but they were dirt cheap, so there's that !

I remember selling them to unedumacated dweebs & script kiddies in the mid-80's....the same crowd who were also considering Gatorway's and Presarios....ah, those were the days....

Apple's slogan of "Blow minds, not budgets" from the late 90's still comes to mind...

I wasn't impressed at all with the Power PC-based Macs of the time. They were horribly overpriced, and compared to a similarly priced Pentium / Pentium II or even AMD PC, ran very slowly.

Nevertheless, there were quite a few professors in my department who were still loyal to Apple since the days of the Centris and Quadra, back when they used the Motorola 68K series of CPU's, and actually had a claim to being a premium computer.

Apple's slogan of "Blow minds, not budgets" from the late 90's still comes to mind...

I wasn't impressed at all with the Power PC-based Macs of the time. They were horribly overpriced, and compared to a similarly priced Pentium / Pentium II or even AMD PC, ran very slowly.

Nevertheless, there were quite a few professors in my department who were still loyal to Apple since the days of the Centris and Quadra, back when they used the Motorola 68K series of CPU's, and actually had a claim to being a premium computer.
Education has been under the Apple spell for as long as I can remember. They are also heavily entrenched in the graphic design and content creation space with people in those professions being almost cult-like in their devotion to Apple products.

They hype around the launch of the original Willamette Pentium 4's.

I remember thanking my lucky stars I didn't ditch my 440BX based system for an early P4/RamBus system. I ended up riding that 440BX train WAAYYYY too long. Ended up with a modified Slotket to run a Tualatin Celeron 1300@1600 on a 440BX. By the time I eventually made the switch to a Pentium 4, it was an i875 and a P4C [email protected].

I am pretty I had that exact setup. wow.

I'd use that tower for a perfect sleeper setup.

In retrospect, the amount of complaining people made about Prescott Pentium 4's and Pentium D's using too much power is kinda laughable today considering a modern i7 has almost twice the TDP as those old chips.

In retrospect, the amount of complaining people made about Prescott Pentium 4's and Pentium D's using too much power is kinda laughable today considering a modern i7 has almost twice the TDP as those old chips.
and down the road when we need a dedicated 220v 20A+ line for the video cards dedicated power supply, we will look back at this and laugh harder lol.

"Biggest computer lie ever told"

Wasn't it Al Gore that set there would never be a need for a computer to be in everyone's home?

That was probably from DEC's founder, Ken Olsen, who had said "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

That quote may have been taken badly out of context, though, since he was apparently referring to computers that would actually control the home.

That was probably from DEC's founder, Ken Olsen, who had said "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

That quote may have been taken badly out of context, though, since he was apparently referring to computers that would actually control the home.
Ah, yea. I think that's the line I remember reading about.

If we go with the :
: to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

It could remove some.

There some play for word about preferring the bigger number, even if it will knowingly mislead most people, a good example being hard drive size.

When people see 120GB hard drive, they assume they buy a 120 Gigabytes harddrive, they are confused and surprised to discover they bought a 120 gibibytes (or a 111.6 GB) a term virtually never use outside than on hard drive box.

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k of ram"

"Well, windows 95 is 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

Q: Why do astronauts prefer the Linux operating system. Because you can't open Window's in space.....

What is it with Germans and old operating systems ? It's 2012 already, and I keep hearing them say "DOS is goot, yah "

"If I was an operating system, your process would have top priority"

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k of ram"
are you saying the rumors that Gates ever said that is one of the big lie (like other famous false historical quote a la Let them eat cake) ever told or that he did say it and it was a big lie ?

If we go with the :
: to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

It could remove some.

There some play for word about preferring the bigger number, even if it will knowingly mislead most people, a good example being hard drive size.

When people see 120GB hard drive, they assume they buy a 120 Gigabytes harddrive, they are confused and surprised to discover they bought a 120 gibibytes (or a 111.6 GB) a term virtually never use outside than on hard drive box.
IEC 80000-13, which standardized the "KiB/MiB/GiB/TiB" usage for storage wasn't published until 2008, and it is wrong. I don't care if a "standards" commission makes it so, or incompetent people don't understand what they're buying. A gigabyte has, and always shall be, 1024³ bytes (1,073,741,824 bytes).

I remember selling them to unedumacated dweebs & script kiddies in the mid-80's....the same crowd who were also considering Gatorway's and Presarios....ah, those were the days....
I remember desktop PCs with these types of advertisements were sold in the mid to late-90s, and remember seeing them in tech stores all over the place at the time.
They really exploited catered to middle aged and older individuals at the time wanting Windows 9X and Internet access for the first time in a user-friendly way.

What a time to be alive! :D

ZIP drives will be the next storage media; Floppy killer, but beaten by CD-Rs.

ZIP drives will be the next storage media; Floppy killer, but beaten by CD-Rs.
I think ZIP drives were more obsoleted by the use of USB flash drives circa 2004.
CD-R/RW discs were good for a larger amount of storage, but not for daily productivity that FDDs, super disks, and ZIP disks had.

ZIP drives also allowed for a 750MB capacity in 2003, and don't forget about Jazz drives with 2GB+ disk capacities in the early 2000s.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

IIRC, those crap boxers were obsolete before they even hit store shelves, but they were dirt cheap, so there's that !

You were selling PCs with Windows 98 on them in the mid 80s?

I repaired them for a living. (Along with everything else out there at the time.) So yeah, they spark nostalgia in me but not in a good way.
Heh. Just like PC Chips motherboards... Or ECS. Neither of those names bring back warm and fuzzies, either.

Heh. Just like PC Chips motherboards... Or ECS. Neither of those names bring back warm and fuzzies, either.
I've had good and bad experiences with just about every brand. I say that because there are some brands I never had a positive experience with. Or in some cases there are specific models I never had good experiences with. I never had good experiences with Azza boards or EPoX's. iWill was hit and miss. Strangely, I mostly had good luck with QDI. ECS was one I had bad experiences with but I had far worse luck with DFI LanParty nForce 4 motherboard series and FIC's VA 503+ remains the worst motherboard of all time.

Back