Big Upgrade: Seem good?

HCLPfan

Gawd
I'm looking to do a large upgrade when I get back from CES next week and wanted to make sure it all looked pretty good and worth the money since its currently around $1,300 of parts. Here is what I'm lookin at:

Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 - $300 (upgrade from Abit IP35)
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz - $295 (upgrade from P4 3.0 HT)
HSF: COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - $70
Videocard 1: SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB - $245 (upgrade from card below)
Videocard 2: Crossfire with my current Radeon x800
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 $240 (upgrade from 2GB Corsair)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V - $125 (upgrade from Antec Truepower 550w)

Everything seem like a worthwhile upgrade? Or perhaps have a different recommendation for the videocard manufacturer? I had heard the saphire toxic 4870 was good but I cant find it on newegg.

I went with the Asus P6T Deluxe in my build because it seemed to be the most popular/stable/quality mobo at the time (a few weeks ago). The EVGA board does look good also though, so that is just preference. I used the TRUE for my CPU cooler, because it seemed to be the most universally renowned at [H]. And the Dominator memory is overkill unless you want to OC heavily. I went with this low latency kit for G.Skill. I hope this helps. :)

I went with the Asus P6T Deluxe in my build because it seemed to be the most popular/stable/quality mobo at the time (a few weeks ago). The EVGA board does look good also though, so that is just preference. I used the TRUE for my CPU cooler, because it seemed to be the most universally renowned at [H]. And the Dominator memory is overkill unless you want to OC heavily. I went with this low latency kit for G.Skill. I hope this helps. :)

Hmm. Yeah the mobo and cpu cooler were two that I really had no idea and just went with the top rated on newegg that was the right socket and supported crossfire. Anyone second this opinion? Or are they pretty much equal?

As for the RAM. Wouldnt 1600 be a better match for my CPU than 1333?

... As for the RAM. Wouldnt 1600 be a better match for my CPU than 1333?

1333 will get you to 3.8Ghz. If you want to go higher or simply want the hardly noticeable extra bandwidth, the 1600 kits aren't much more expensive.

Back