BFG Refurb 1000 Watt PS - 49.99 + 5 shipping

I'm glad the deal is working out for most of you. I just built a brand new i5 rig last night, with all new parts... used this PSU. Works great.

so, i'm confused. Is the best price on this now $65?

so, i'm confused. Is the best price on this now $65?

No, just follow OPs link, add to cart, put "powerwoot" in the "secret savings code" field, choose your checkout method of choice and it rings up as $54.98.

oh cool. I thought the coupon died yesterday.

oh cool. I thought the coupon died yesterday.

Hah, well it could die at any moment because on OPs link, it says "Promo Code POWERWOOT Expires on September 29, 2010". But I just tried it and it worked. So I'd say decide quickly if you want the deal ;).

My PSU is now shipped ! and I wonder if you guys already got it and how was it ? also have you tried with SLI with cable ?

phatbx133

My PSU is now shipped ! and I wonder if you guys already got it and how was it ? also have you tried with SLI with cable ?

phatbx133

Read from post #33 on for everyones evaluation (all good so far).

Yes, the PSU already comes with 2x PCI-E (6 pin & 6+2 pin) hard wired onto it. I had to use that plus an extra PCI-E modular cable (also 6 pin & 6+2 pin) for my 2nd GTX 285. It works as it's supposed to with no problems.

Read from post #33 on for everyones evaluation (all good so far).

Yes, the PSU already comes with 2x PCI-E (6 pin & 6+2 pin) hard wired onto it. I had to use that plus an extra PCI-E modular cable (also 6 pin & 6+2 pin) for my 2nd GTX 285. It works as it's supposed to with no problems.

Thanks, I missed that part of your thread, would you able to post the pic here if you can ?

phatbx133

Fed Ex tendered it to USPS... thank god.

But nothing wrong with PSU at all. Light scratches thats all.

That's kinda shitty, but I could live with that given that the connector itself keeps the plug pretty snug by itself. I doubt it would come loose if you were moving the case around a lot, let alone not touching it.

I would only RMA it if I didn't have to pay shipping to go back and I had another PSU to use while it's away (which I'm assuming you do).
Yeah, it is free shipping. & I have my Corsair 750TX. The BFG was going to be a back-up in case of RMA on the Corsair.
& the hot glue thing....not going to do that. It is broken off & I doubt it would hold. Plus, I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my mobo if it did come loose or short out.

I really don't need this but when I have $$, there's always a 'What if...' and 'You never know...' so I had to grab this before they're out of stock - and 'secret code' STILL works.

Thanks OP!

I just ordered one. I don't really know why, other than when I'm sleeving my EX-1200 I can still use my 470 SLI setup, and if my EX 1200 dies I can pop this one in. Plus that's an AMAZING price. You should be aware that to get the $50 promo pricing you need to use the code POWERWOOT in caps.

Sigh. I don't need this. Why did I just order one?
Oh right, 1kW with pretty good efficiency for $55. Will have to test it when it comes in though.

Is this even an upgrade from my Corsair HX-620?

Meh. Ordered it anyway. Lol!

Last edited:
Is this even an upgrade from my Corsair HX-620?

Meh. Ordered it anyway. Lol!
Yes its an upgrade. Geez people think Corsair works miracles lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Thanks OP, I went to check out JohnnyGuru's review of BFG's EX1000 series PSUs and pulled the trigger. Even if not perfect it got an excellent review and appears to be well worth the 50 bucks...

Now to wait until Silverstone decides to release the RV-03...

I wonder if these refurbished units had some of the things the review pointed out corrected...

For those interested I used this review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=151

I don't think there's much this power supply can't handle. 1000 watts is pretty beefy in my book.

Yes its an upgrade. Geez people think Corsair works miracles lol

It doesn't work miracles, but it's one of the few brands you can trust on brand name alone, not by series. To many other manufacturers have good and bad lines of crap.

It doesn't work miracles, but it's one of the few brands you can trust on brand name alone, not by series. To many other manufacturers have good and bad lines of crap.
I don't think anybody will argue Corsair quality, but wondering if the 1kw bfg is an upgrade over the Corsair 620 is a joke.

I don't think anybody will argue Corsair quality, but wondering if the 1kw bfg is an upgrade over the Corsair 620 is a joke.

Tis not a joke. I was having a hard time finding real specs on this product when I made my post. I did find some good information and ordered this psu.

And for the record, if this were a Corsair any series 1k psu, I would have no reason to ask this question. ;)

I understand where you're coming from, but it's a question about the 1kW really meaning 1kW. There are several 1kW that would NOT be an upgrade over a 620. Namely, anything that goes up in smoke when you try to pull that kind of juice from it, or anything that's outside of ATX specs.

the one I posted is non-modular, that's for sure. Hard to find a review, but it is not as good as the first one. Maybe this is the pre-Johnny Guru one!

I got PSU today and I opened the box and take few pix below.

2ih8ljk.jpg

10xx8c7.jpg

21l6hy1.jpg

28l9ro0.jpg

See label above say Scratch and Dent ? I didn't see any no dents or scratch on it but maybe very tiny I dunno and look brand new to me and I haven't hook it up just yet.

BTW, some ppl said BFG PSU is no good, but I do have BFG 550W right now past about 2 yrs no problem whatsoever, who cares about big name like Corsair quality ? pfftt.

phatbx133

Last edited:
I have had a 1KW BFG power supply for about a year now and it hasnt even flinched at all the different setups I gone thru.

Got mine in today, looks brand new to me, no where on it does it say refurb or scratch and dent, doesn't look like it was installed, all the paint is still in the screw holes

I got PSU today and I opened the box and take few pix below.

See label above say Scratch and Dent ? I didn't see any no dents or scratch on it but maybe very tiny I dunno and look brand new to me and I haven't hook it up just yet.

BTW, some ppl said BFG PSU is no good, but I do have BFG 550W right now past about 2 yrs no problem whatsoever, who cares about big name like Corsair quality ? pfftt.

phatbx133

i agree with you saying that BFG makes a good supply, but your completely wrong by questioning the quality of a Corsair power supply. They make some of the best ones out there.

i agree with you saying that BFG makes a good supply, but your completely wrong by questioning the quality of a Corsair power supply. They make some of the best ones out there.

I guess you make a valid point ;)

I think that's actually BFG's "bad" psu. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Positive review over at Guru3d.

Looks like the main difference is one is modular, the other is not.
Also, it looks like it was a Topower model.

Last edited:
those rubber bands around the cables are classy

Hah, thread was almost dead and you bumped it just to say that :p.

I noticed it too though, heh. Mine came with black zip ties (like the one on the right in his pic) on all the modular cables. I couldn't detect any sign of usage or handling of the PSU or the cables.

those rubber bands around the cables are classy

If that's the most negative thing in this post I'll consider it a success.
Mine didn't still have paint in the holes, but I've been running it since I got it with 2 460's and an overclocked i5 with 4 hd's and several other power hogs without any hiccups. It hasn't been hot to the touch, and it's quieter than any other fan in my setup.

Mine didn't still have paint in the holes, but I've been running it since I got it with 2 460's and an overclocked i5 with 4 hd's and several other power hogs without any hiccups. It hasn't been hot to the touch, and it's quieter than any other fan in my setup.

Cool, I like to know how far did you overclocked with your i5 ?

I received mine and just tested it out after switching to a new case, it is DOA. Hopefully the RMA process is painless with Geeks.

Back