BFG ES800 enough for dual x2's

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
As above. I have some money coming that I was not expecting :D It has 2x6 pin and 2x8 pin, so I know I can connect. I just don't fully understand the amperages since it has that switching design.

Plenty of power even for a dual 4870X2 setup. You'll be completely fine.

Oh, yeah. I did mean 4870 quadfire. My original intention was to do 4850 quad, but some extra money coming my way may mean go for the good stuff...or go with original intention and get a better monitor.

Again, the ES-800 is enough for a 4870X2 quadfire setup.

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys and say an an 800W PSU is cutting it awfully close. The [H] numbers show their 4870X2 quadfire system 686W from the wall, which while still probably doable, does not leave much headroom. I'd suggest springing for a 1000W PSU like the Corsair HX1000.

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys and say an an 800W PSU is cutting it awfully close. The [H] numbers show their 4870X2 quadfire system 686W from the wall, which while still probably doable, does not leave much headroom. I'd suggest springing for a 1000W PSU like the Corsair HX1000.

686W from the wall, when you factor in 80% efficiency, and the ES-800 was above 80% efficient across the board...
686 / .80 = 549W. That's 251W to spare.

I think it would be fine... Room for extra harddrives, overclocking, etc.

I concur with mostly everyone: The ES-800 will be enough.

@ Liam
They were also running a water cooling setup, which the OP hasn't mentioned any plans of. So that wattage could be lower sans the water setup

Yeah, no water this time, unless I can't get quiet enough. I'll deal with that when I need to.

Guess which PSU [H] used in their 4870X2 preview.

Guess which PSU [H] used in their 4870X2 preview.

Yeah, I found the review AFTER I made this thread. I didn't realize search had been re-enabled :eek: The "hybrid" thing was throwing me, but after reading a real explanation, it makes perfect sense, and I think this PSU could handle quite a bit more than just the 4870x2's. If it were modular, it would be near perfect.

Yeah, I found the review AFTER I made this thread. I didn't realize search had been re-enabled :eek: The "hybrid" thing was throwing me, but after reading a real explanation, it makes perfect sense, and I think this PSU could handle quite a bit more than just the 4870x2's. If it were modular, it would be near perfect.

I just found it funny that he used the [H] review to support his suggestion of a stronger PSU when this is the exact model they used in their tests :D.

Back