BF2 Special forces stuck at 62% loading

imExcitebike

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, so last week i downloaded and installed BF2: Special Forces from the EA downloader. But whenever i tried to join a game, it would get 62% while loading (and optimizing shaders) and just sit there. If i pressed escape to get out, it would just stay on the unloading resources screen. I'd then have to alt-tab out and manually terminate the process.

It was time for a format/reinstall, so i did that last friday.

Now i've reinstalled BF2 and Special Forces and all the patches and it is still doing the same thing. Stuck at 62% loading.

Any ideas?

PC Specs:
MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
amd64 3000+
2gb Corsair XMS ddr400
eVGA 6800gt
SB Audigy 2zs Pro Plat
2x80 raid-0
480w PSU

It did that for me on my first try. I killed the process and reloaded- let it sit there, then it took a while, but finally loaded. Sorry I can't be more help.

before i formatted, once i killed the process and then opened the game and tried to join. it would successfully join ONLY if it wasnt optimizing shaders. im guessing its something screwy with the shader configs or something... hmm, maybe ill let it sit tonight before i goto sleep.

It did that to me too the first time it optimized shaders. I thought it locked up so I exited out. It did the same thing the next time so I just decided to let it sit since there was hard drive activity. It took about 10 minutes but it finally took.

did the same thing to me, just waited it out...thought it froze but it did work in the end.

ok, now its getting to 57% and then bf2 closes.

yay.

:rolleyes:

im going to bed, ill deal with this tomorrow

When I first tried to join a game in BF2:SF it stayed stuck at 62% for a long time, but I didn't touch it, I just let it sit there. Took about 5 minutes to join the damn game, but finally got in. After that first time it never happened again.

I had so many issues installing or trying to run BF2:SF that I eventually got it to install and patch with no issues but it would get stuck at 20 something percent.
I then copied from my brothers machine, the SF Maps folder and all the .zip files in the root SF directory.
It would then get stuck at 62% and just sit there. I let it sit there for an hour while I watched my brother play.
I then copied the BF2 maps and .zip files from his machine and it would load and join a server but got the "modifed content error".
Ran the 1.12 patch again, which patched fine, loaded up SF and logged on and started playing.
trying to install this game ruined my thanksgiving weekend of sitting around and killing people..

First off blame all the problems on EA and how they treat their underpayed hard working employees.

Poor bastards had to go to court with their employer just to have them pay out their overtime hours
which they worked soo hard for soo many endless days in order to have somewhat finished product
out on the store shelves.

Everybody these days knows how it is with game publishers. Rush rush rush and forget about
releasing a product that is 100% complete and pretty much rock solid. Just look at the damn BF2 GUI.
It's comparable to that of a sack of shit. Don't get me wrong BF2 is a swanky game it's just the asshat
of a GUI. The P.O.S is soo slow, other times it seems like the entire game crashed when you go look
for a server and then out of no where it comes back to life and there you were ready to hit the three finger
salute or give the computer a hard kick in the teeth. Case in point, BF2: SP stopping at 62%. I had the
same goddamn issue. I was pissed. Let alone having the actual game connect to the account server.
Took the damn thing like close to 4 minutes to connect on my phatt 5Mbit pipe. I was ready to lose it.

Furthermore, how many times has EA tried to fix things with BF2? It's evident that they still haven't
fixed shit. How many patches (4 in total I believe) we had to this point and the GUI is still
not operational as it should be? Notice as well, each patch is bigger than the last one :D

But getting back to the scheme of things with BF2: SP... EA should have given us gamers a set of
instructions of what to install first when BF2: SP was released. What I did not know is that the patch
that came out the day before SP was out, you were supposed to leave that 280MB patch or so ONLY
TO BE INSTALLED after you put BF2 SP on your machine. I unknowingly installed the slut before
I put Special Forces on and that prevented me from playing multiplayer due to the fact that each time
I connected to a server I'd have a 'version mismatch'. So yeah, after 10 minutess of cursing and punching
my FPW2405 I fingered out that the order I installed things was causing my trial and tribulations.

So the moral of the story kids is try to put out a working product before people start flaming your ass.

P.S. I hear EA is supposed to have a Steamer cloner rip off coming out soon. Or is it already out?
*shudder* Now that' one scary thought.

BTW, NFS: MW 0WNS me. That game rocks my ballsacks. I think EA Canada was behind that phatt
title. Not sure if EA Canada was behind BF2?

Happens to me too, it takes a long time when it does the shader optimization thing. Like 5 minutes.

Ok i got it fixed.

What I ended up doing is completely deleting the BF2 folder out of my My Docs folder, which deleted all my settings/shader info/etc.

I started up the game, reset everything how I like (controls/video/audio) and let it load. Got stuck at 62% again, waited it out for about 45 mins, then bam, in game I am.

Now i just gotta put back in the 1gig of ram i took out the other day. that should make things buttery smooth.

EA=Sweatshop

Evil corporate asshats ruining everything.

They just rush everything no attention paid to quality control so long as it kinda works.

Valve owns I just wish I liked their multiplayer games more.

imExcitebike said:
Ok i got it fixed.

What I ended up doing is completely deleting the BF2 folder out of my My Docs folder, which deleted all my settings/shader info/etc.

I started up the game, reset everything how I like (controls/video/audio) and let it load. Got stuck at 62% again, waited it out for about 45 mins, then bam, in game I am.

Now i just gotta put back in the 1gig of ram i took out the other day. that should make things buttery smooth.

Thanks for sharing the fix- I'm rebuilding my wife's PC so when I reinstall it on hers I'm sure this will come in handy. I wasn't sure how i got past it the first time but this will help.

BTW, to all the "incredibly intelligent" people who stopped in to assume it was a pirated copy or to rant about EA- thanks...your posts were meaningful in helping troubleshoot this problem. What a great contribution you made...congratulations and please continue to help out those around you. I think I'll follow your example...next time my neighbor is working on his car I'll run over and claim he stole it or rant about how GM makes awful cars...yeah, that'll help.

The one post that said to get it at the store may have meant to go buy a hard copy, vs getting the softcopy from EA. that was my take on his post, but that didn't help with your issues.

WS6 said:
The one post that said to get it at the store may have meant to go buy a hard copy, vs getting the softcopy from EA. that was my take on his post, but that didn't help with your issues.

My mistake, I misread the post- I always prefer hard copies myself.

kpedge said:
My mistake, I misread the post- I always prefer hard copies myself.

yeah, me too, but it was thanksgiving and walmart was the only place open, and they didnt have any...

maybe next time ill wait 1 day...

I love to rant about EA. rant and rant and damn why do they have to make the one game I like? sorry for not helping but they cause so many new issues everytime they "patch" I lose my temper.

Carv said:
When I first tried to join a game in BF2:SF it stayed stuck at 62% for a long time, but I didn't touch it, I just let it sit there. Took about 5 minutes to join the damn game, but finally got in. After that first time it never happened again.

LOL..same for me...stuck at 62%...it finaly went after about 8 minutes...been fine ever since...

One question- everyone having "62%" problems- Nvidia or ATI?

I'm on a 7800 gtx

kpedge said:
One question- everyone having "62%" problems- Nvidia or ATI?

I'm on a 7800 gtx

All-in-Wonder X800 XT for me. I get past the 62% but the game hard crashes my system within 1 minute of the map finally loading. Really starting to piss me off. :mad:

doesnt matter you arent missing anything. this expack is sorta lackluster.

Ya mine stayed at 62% for about 20 minutes the first day, I have an agp ATI 850XT PE.
The ridiculous 20 min wait times are only temporary, after a 3-5 levels of lag loading time, everything will speed up to near BF2 speeds for map changes.
Strangely, Iron Gator chugged like crazy the first few times I played it, now it is much much smoother.... maybe I'm getting used to it

:D

I'm loving the expansion pack, for $30 CDN, this adds 8 maps, a ton of new weapons and gadgets, a ton of new armies, a handful of ground vehicles and last but not least, the Apache and Hind.

If you love BF, you'll love SF. As long as the install problems and initial laggy play don't turn you off.

For some reason it takes me up to 5mins to join a game.

That's the time measured from hitting the "Join" button in the multiplayer screen to when you can actually start playing the game.

Other people tell me they can do it in 30 seconds :confused:

Why is it taking me 5 mins when others are claiming 30 seconds?

The time waiting for maps to load is what drives me crazy about this game.

Sometimes it takes so long to start playing that the serer has already changed maps, and thus you have to wait again to load yet another map :(

QuakerOatz said:
The ridiculous 20 min wait times are only temporary, after a 3-5 levels of lag loading time, everything will speed up to near BF2 speeds for map changes.
Strangely, Iron Gator chugged like crazy the first few times I played it, now it is much much smoother.... maybe I'm getting used to it

I'm loving the expansion pack, for $30 CDN, this adds 8 maps, a ton of new weapons and gadgets, a ton of new armies, a handful of ground vehicles and last but not least, the Apache and Hind.

If you love BF, you'll love SF. As long as the install problems and initial laggy play don't turn you off.

QFT.

I didn't have it as bad as some; I got the exp pack from Gamestop the day it was released and the upgrade took like 12-15 minutes running in the background. The first time I started it up, the shaders optimized for about 5-7 minutes before I got into my first singleplayer game. And the first time I played it online, I got a crash to desktop at the end of the round. But since that, it's been smooth sailing.

Iron Gator also chugged for me the first time or two through, but I deleted my BF2 cache, defragged the drive, started BF2:SF and let it reoptimize the shaders (as suggested by the BF2 Tweakguide). All the BF2:SF levels have been much smoother since, including Iron Gator.

I cannot stress enough how important that little ritual is to BF2 performance, especially on mid-level systems like mine. It can speed the game up a surprising amount for such little effort. It's second as a BF2 performance enhancer only to adding more ram, IMHO. ;)

LordBritish said:
For some reason it takes me up to 5mins to join a game.

That's the time measured from hitting the "Join" button in the multiplayer screen to when you can actually start playing the game.

Other people tell me they can do it in 30 seconds :confused:

Why is it taking me 5 mins when others are claiming 30 seconds?

What are your system and connection specs? Are you running firewalls/virus scanners/spyware blockers/etc. in the background (you shouldn't)?

A slow, heavily fragmented drive, low amounts of ram, a spotty connection, and background performance-eaters can have those effects. My load times run between 20-40 seconds depending on the size of the map (system specs below, Roadrunner cable modem connection).

QuakerOatz said:
Ya mine stayed at 62% for about 20 minutes the first day, I have an agp ATI 850XT PE.

:D

I just wish those EA bastards included the Canadian Army (JFS) in their expansion. Now
that would have been tight!

im pretty sure its stuck at 62% because they are suppose to optimize shaders... its not stuck... it just take a long time...really

[CoF] ATOMIC said:
I just wish those EA bastards included the Canadian Army (JFS) in their expansion. Now
that would have been tight!

Canada has an Army???
Watch out, you guys may be next on Bushs' list. :D

Amazed nobody has mentioned this yet.

Just optimize your shaders on single player games, much quicker. It'll still say optimizing shaders when hitting multiplayer, but it goes *much* quicker.

Worked for me.

One other thing, defrag, defrag, and defrag some more. BF2 load times are hamstrung by fragmentation, imho.

Also, remember, your profiles for bf2 are sitting underneath My Documents, so make sure you've got that partition defragged too, not just the one you've got the game binaries in.

I had a similar issue to this when playing BF2, just froze there for a long time. Then the computer would crash to a blue screen. Found out that is was actually caused by a old network card driver that Windows automatically installed. This is actually a know issue on Nforce 4 mobo's.

On my motherboard, Asus A8N, I normally plugged into the second network port. I was cleaning up some cables and accidently switched to the nVidia network port, this is when the computer started acting up. I rebooted again, unplugged the cable, then updated to the latest nic driver from nVidia's site. No problems.

It's really strange how it only caused a crash in the game, after that it started crashing just in the Windows desktop.

Rob

Everything is goin good now.

Adding in the extra 1 gig of RAM did a hell of a lot of difference with the choppiness...

Man do i like the flashbangs...

Back