BF2 computer

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
Well my friend is getting into BF2 so he wants a new computer. This is what I specced out. Anything look wrong?

MB: DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR
CPU: A64 3700+ San Diego
Heatsink: XP-90 w/ tornado
RAM: 2x1GB Corsair XMS (TWINX2048-3200C2)
Video Card: XFX 7800 GTX
HDD: Seagate 200GB (7200.8)
DVD: NEC ND-3520A
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
PSU: Antec 430W (TPII-430)

I would get a faster CPU if i were you I would go with the 3800+ or 4000+
And a strong PSU

AlexStenka said:
And a strong PSU

Ya, because the 3700+ is so much slower, and it cant be overclocked at all. Of course...

If I were you, Ide save money and get a 3200+ or 3500+ and then OC it.

obs said:
Well my friend is getting into BF2 so he wants a new computer. This is what I specced out. Anything look wrong?

MB: DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR
CPU: A64 3700+ San Diego
Heatsink: XP-90 w/ tornado
RAM: 2x1GB Corsair XMS (TWINX2048-3200C2)
Video Card: XFX 7800 GTX
HDD: Seagate 200GB (7200.8)
DVD: NEC ND-3520A
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
PSU: Antec 430W (TPII-430)

Dont get a tornado o_O... you will thank me later. Get a Liteon DVD drive... I have never bought anything but Liteon and Plextor once or twice... Liteon > all!

Also, I personally think the lifetime warranty thing is BS, but I would suggest getting a BFG card rather thant he XFX.

AlexStenka said:
And a strong PSU
Yes, the CPU will be overclocked. Also, would the 430W Antec be strong enough?

Tengis said:
Dont get a tornado o_O... you will thank me later. Get a Liteon DVD drive... I have never bought anything but Liteon and Plextor once or twice... Liteon > all!

Also, I personally think the lifetime warranty thing is BS, but I would suggest getting a BFG card rather thant he XFX.
I told him not to get the tornado but that's what he wanted... I figure it is easy enough to switch out later.

obs said:
I told him not to get the tornado but that's what he wanted... I figure it is easy enough to switch out later.

Yeah, it's an easy switch. A lot of people use tornado's, but I don't see how! I couldn't stand listening to it for more than 30 seconds...

I'd imagine that PSU would be strong enough, antecs are pretty solid.

obs said:
Yes, the CPU will be overclocked. Also, would the 430W Antec be strong enough?

Ide go with something a bit beefier just to be safe... stick with a good brand though.

Tengis said:
Ya, because the 3700+ is so much slower, and it cant be overclocked at all. Of course...

If I were you, Ide save money and get a 3200+ or 3500+ and then OC it.

Hurray for OC, and you should check out Venice chips as well.

I would get an OCZ PowerStream 520w which is a much better PSU instead. I would also get 2x1024MB of Crucial Value because it should overclock better then that XMS and its alot cheaper.

Glad somebody caught that RAM issue before me. I agree with the poster above. And you probably want to get a better, more beefier PSU even though the power req. arent to bad on the 7800. Make sure you have enough Amps on those 12V rails while your at it.

The 3700 is a pretty decent choice, 1mb cache, good mhz and all, but you might want to save and get a 3200+ which would probably surpass the 37 in ocing. And you could put that money towards the better PSU.

I think if you are spending a lot of money on this comp, then a 3700+ isn't a bad buy. I'd stick with it.

If you NEED to save, then yea, get a 3200+.

Nothing wrong with a NEC dvd burner.

You def need a better PSU. Look here and here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103437
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151024

Nice choices overall.

BFG 7800 is out of stock on the egg, so gj with the XFX 7800. You get a free game controller with it, $40 separate!

Back