BF1942 & BF2 Not working? hmmmm...

DrDeathGNJ

Gawd
OK people here is the skinny on the situation!

BF1942 used to work on my system and now it doesn't! BF2 just came out and I haven't gotten that to work either.

Its been quite a few months since I played it and I recently wanted to get back into it and now it won't run?
I get the quick black screen likes its gonna load and then it just go's back at to the desktop and thats it?
Outside of installing basic things like new programs over the months my hardware has not changed since it ran.

I have of course updated my drivers frequently like everyone else and thats about all thats changed.
I have tried to go way back to drivers that did work with the game but it still won't run!

So how the F does a game work and then if you stop playing it for awhile it won't work anymore?

IS THE GAME MAD AT ME?

Any direction I can go outside of someone telling me to upgrade here and there, which I know already?

Thanks for any help!

EA banned all people from Jersey from playing BF games to cut down on Team Killing (whacking your friends). :D

Seriously... I dunno. All I play is BF42 and the BF2 demo worked great for me. BF42 had a new Punkbuster update a few weeks ago, but that would just kick you off a server... not what you're experiencing.

Did you try uninstalling BF42 and then re-installing it? Of course you'd need all those patches again (that you saved somewhere).

Get it working. I need more people to kill in BF42. It's still the best online game going but everyone and their sister is playing CS:S and BF2. :mad:

Well reinstalling BF42 is the one thing I haven't done because I have so many things installed in it from custom maps and all the patches plus Desert Combat! Thats a ton of crap to reinstall and then possibly have it not work again!

But I guess I will try that maybe!

Thanks for the reply anyways!

Make sure you haven't changed your refresh rate with a program like ReForce or PowerStrip, without tweaking I'm pretty sure BF games will only run on default rates. I had to turn my refresh rate on 800x600 down to 60hz to get the BF2 demo running.

works for me and i'm from Jersey :D

well do you get any error messages?

Do you have ALL of the patches for BF1942, is it up to date?

Uninstall and Reinstall BF1942?

OK, I think I might be able to help.....

Look in your toolbar icon tray(you know, the thing at the bottom right of the screen with the clock). Close any program you do not need. This includes folding @ Home, which was causing my game to crash to the desktop. Usually, it is a program running here that causes this problem. BF1942 and BF2 seems to have something in the code/program that doesnt like certain programs running in the background. If this doesnt work, I might have a few ideas, but very complicated.

Zero

DrDeathGNJ said:
OK people here is the skinny on the situation!

BF1942 used to work on my system and now it doesn't! BF2 just came out and I haven't gotten that to work either.

Its been quite a few months since I played it and I recently wanted to get back into it and now it won't run?
I get the quick black screen likes its gonna load and then it just go's back at to the desktop and thats it?
Outside of installing basic things like new programs over the months my hardware has not changed since it ran.

I have of course updated my drivers frequently like everyone else and thats about all thats changed.
I have tried to go way back to drivers that did work with the game but it still won't run!

So how the F does a game work and then if you stop playing it for awhile it won't work anymore?

IS THE GAME MAD AT ME?

Any direction I can go outside of someone telling me to upgrade here and there, which I know already?

Thanks for any help!

Your System hates you and wants more cheese ...FEED IT CHEESE! :mad:

Asus P4S533 Mainboard SiS 645DX
512 DDR PC2700{333mhz}
Intel P4 2.53Ghz 533mhz
GF3 Ti200@220\501
Santa Cruz PCI 3D Audio
50x Cd-Rom
Plextor CDRW
Two 80gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
WindowsXP Professional

There's your problem for bf2, bf2 doesn't support the geforce 4 or lower, an fx5200 is the minimum to run it at all.

Back