Best Wireless Card?

Chomp

Gawd
Hi, I'm moving into a new house and I'm thinking about going wirelss. I'm going to have cable internet shared with 2 others via a DLINK 802.11G wireless router. I tried using a Netgear wireless router with my friends USB wireless adapter and my downloads were about the same as being wired, but when I played online games it would lag cosistently about every 45 seconds.

I have a feeling it was a crappy USB adapter(Belkin), so I was wondering if I got a PCI wireless card, would it still give me lag spikes? Do they work very good? If so, should I go with a .11b card or .11g (do they make a difference with just internet downloading/browsing)?

I just don't like having Cat5 cable's running into/out of my room :D

I saw a microsoft 802.11G PCI card for about $60, but I heard MS's networking hardware is so-so...

I had good luck with the Edimax PCI wireless cards, they come with an external antenna which you can place on your desk or computer. Pretty cheap at about $25 a piece.

I got a 20dollar cheapo one from Xterasys (Google it) and its actually a pretty good card, its based off a chipset that D-Link uses, just make sure you download your drivers from admtek.com.tw because the ones the card comes iwth suck (at least for me in win2k)

What about Lag Issues? Do wireless PCI cards lag compared to just a Cat5 cable?

Wich Dlink router are you running? The 108MB will only work with the ExtremeG routers. It will only provide 54MB in non ExtremeG mode.

It's been debated but I wouldn't recommend wireless for internet gaming. You will see some increased latency (lag) and there is a good chance of spikes since wireless latency is inconsistant unlike wired. This is regardless of what brand wireless equipment you use.

Buffalo G series PCI supposedly is pretty good. I myself like the Netgear and am using one right now (G) and it is working like a champ. Getting 70% with 54MBPS going pass 3 walls and a bathroom. My PC is located in the super corner of the house, the router is on the other side corner of the house.

Originally posted by Chelica
Buffalo G series PCI supposedly is pretty good. I myself like the Netgear and am using one right now (G) and it is working like a champ. Getting 70% with 54MBPS going pass 3 walls and a bathroom. My PC is located in the super corner of the house, the router is on the other side corner of the house.

How does it work for games? (Counter Strike)?

O and also, regarding the DLink, do not be tricked into paying more for a 108MB Xtreme G. DLink is the only company that is selling their Xtreme G router for the same price as their G router. It is because you get the 108MB after downloading the firmware.

Netgear on the other hand, you gotta spend an extra 20 bucks to purchase the 108MB. So I say go for the DLink G520. You can use it bone stock at 54MB, but you can always upgrade to a 108MB just by downloading the firmware, sweet!

You will see some increased latency (lag) and there is a good chance of spikes since wireless latency is inconsistant unlike wired.

No you won't. Not if you buy good equipment and you know what your doing. There can be added latency, I am not saying it won't happen. It won't if you set it up correctly and buy the right stuff. Low power microwave as a technology does NOT add latency. Unless you think 1 ms is adding latency. Latency comes with resends, which are a product of poor signal to noise ratios, or poor signal strength. SNR is much more important for a wireless link.

Originally posted by ktwebb
No you won't. Not if you buy good equipment and you know what your doing. There can be added latency, I am not saying it won't happen. It won't if you set it up correctly and buy the right stuff. Low power microwave as a technology does NOT add latency. Unless you think 1 ms is adding latency. Latency comes with resends, which are a product of poor signal to noise ratios, or poor signal strength. SNR is much more important for a wireless link.

So how do you set it up "right" ?

You start with getting good equipment. The soho stuff is a crap shoot. All are pretty generic and two of the same model AP's may yield varying results. With budget wireless you are handicapped from the start normally, however you can overcome coverage problems, normally, with higher gain on your antennas. You also have realistic expectations. Understand you may need to use aftermarket antennas and/or multiple AP's. For most people, meaning modest homes or apartments, one AP should suffice. You watch out for multipath, meaning you get dual dipole antennas on the AP when you can, ones with spatial diversity functionality. You also avoid multipath by not putting your AP in a corner, or tightly fit in shelving. You don't get a PCI card for your box and put it in a corner, then expect good coverage with it. Lots of way. I can't, or wouldn't want to, explain site survey and WLAN engineering in one BBS post but I have done hundreds. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Back