Best value 22'' LCD Monitor?

InnocentNoobie

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble figuring out why some monitors are so much more than others. Is it just the contrast ratio? For example this Asus is $179 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236028

And this LG is $279 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005109

And there are a bunch in between. I don't really know what I'm looking for. I want to get a quality 22'' LCD display (In the past I upgrade my rig every 2-3 years, and upgrade my display every 4-5 years). Is it worth it to spend the extra to get the LG. Or should I get something else?

al2216wbd? I think that is the model number. Was the
best on the shelves when I was in a store. Still buyable
places... mostly good reviews on online retailers.

What's your budget, and what programs/games/apps are you going to be using the monitor for? Off the bat I'd go with the LG but let us know.

What's your budget, and what programs/games/apps are you going to be using the monitor for? Off the bat I'd go with the LG but let us know.

Sorry. This will be used for a lot of gaming. Or rather, what I want to buy a nice monitor for the benefit it will offer to my gaming experience :p. I'll also be doing a lot of work on it, which doesn't involve really anything beyond MS Office and web browsing. I'll play some movies on it occasionally I suppose.

Wow WTF. I swear I just looked yesterday and it was $269. $309... No wonder they are going out of business.

How does this Samsung compare? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...05808/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The Samsung 2253BW you linked would be a good monitor, but is one of the ones in the infamous Samsung "panel lottery", meaning that the chances of you getting a bad CMO panel (with severe backlight bleeding, etc) are higher than most people are comfortable with (there have been posts on this forum about that issue; when you do get a Samsung-made panel it's quite good). I'd go with HardwareGuru's suggestion of the LG L227WTGPF (glossy) or the one I'm using as my side monitor, the LG W2252TQTF (non-glossy; matte). The L227 has no input lag while the W2252 has around 2-3ms input lag. And LG (at least in their 22" TN monitors) has been very consistent in using their own (LG-Phillips) panels, which have quite good color reproduction/contrast compared against the rest of the TN field.

And as for the "price jump", yea it's stupid IMO for Circuit City to do that as the holiday season rolls around; even more so since both Samsung and LG are already reconsidering their agreements with Circuit City in light of CC's bankruptcy.

OK thanks for the advice. I'll get that glossy LG L227WTGPF and maybe I can pick-up my keyboard and headphones at CC.

Edit:

Damn... CC has some shitty prices. It's like they aren't even trying to compete. The KB I want is 65 at CC and 34 at Newegg. Similar situation for a crappy selection of headphones. At least I can buy Fallout 3 and some other Vid games for some decent prices. But even then, a quick google searches reveal that CC is above average on those as well.

What a shitty store

Gift cards are so gay, completely pointless in every aspect of the word. It's like people giving you money and telling you that you can only shop at one store... wait, that is exactly what it is.

OK thanks for the advice. I'll get that glossy LG L227WTGPF and maybe I can pick-up my keyboard and headphones at CC.

Edit:

Damn... CC has some shitty prices. It's like they aren't even trying to compete. The KB I want is 65 at CC and 34 at Newegg. Similar situation for a crappy selection of headphones. At least I can buy Fallout 3 and some other Vid games for some decent prices. But even then, a quick google searches reveal that CC is above average on those as well.

What a shitty store

The best "el cheapo" headset that I can think of is the Yapster headset by TekNmotion. $17-20 buys you a surprisingly decent set-up. They are available @ Newegg, Gogamer, and a couple other places. Not sure if that's what you meant by headphones.

The best "el cheapo" headset that I can think of is the Yapster headset by TekNmotion. $17-20 buys you a surprisingly decent set-up. They are available @ Newegg, Gogamer, and a couple other places. Not sure if that's what you meant by headphones.

That looks like an actually good deal. But I'm really looking to pick-up something decent. I was considering spending upwards of $250, but I've lowered my budget to $100. what I'm looking at right now are:
Sony MDR 7506s
Sony MDR V6s
Sennheiser HD555s
Sennheiser 280 pros
Or maybe a $225 pair of Denons :D

Ya... Well looking to get something nice. I've bought over 3 or 4 headsets over the past 10 years and want to just get a pair I like and be done with it

Well the headset I'm using is the Creative Fatal1ty Professional Series which I did get for $20, probably the biggest steal I could ever think of for a pretty solid (if unspectacular) headset. They're not in stock atm, but might be later on. For non-mic headphones, I have the AKG K240's. They have never gone lower (or higher) in price range from $90-120, and I've had 'em for 7 years. Great price/performance imo. I'm not nearly as much of an audiophile as your choices suggest you are, so take my advice here with a grain of salt.

That looks like an actually good deal. But I'm really looking to pick-up something decent. I was considering spending upwards of $250, but I've lowered my budget to $100. what I'm looking at right now are:
Sony MDR 7506s
Sony MDR V6s
Sennheiser HD555s
Sennheiser 280 pros
Or maybe a $225 pair of Denons :D

Ya... Well looking to get something nice. I've bought over 3 or 4 headsets over the past 10 years and want to just get a pair I like and be done with it

Get a pair of headphones, I have not heard a single headset that can compare to a good pair of headphones.

-Audio-Technica AD700s
-Sennheiser 555s
-AKG K501 (if you can find them)

I am in the same boat as well since I am looking for a good 22 inch monitor. I was thinking about the BenQ E2200HD. What is everyone's opinion of that thing?

Back