Best time to buy new drives?

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
In this thread I said I needed more dives about 60 (48 + 2 spares per vdev). Since it is a new year and big advances are likely to be made in SSD and mechanical drives and current drives should go down in price.

So considering all that, what should I do? Should I wait for new and cheaper models to come out? Should I buy drives now or just wait for a sale? When to drives go on sale?

Reliability is the biggest priority but cost is a factor. This is what I am currently looking at buying. My ideal budget is about $150 per drive.

4TB HGST Deskstar NAS - $159.75
5TB Toshiba X300 - $159.00 (lower reliability but higher capacity for same cost)

I might decide to spend more and get 5TB or 6TB HGST drives but if these are to come down in price over the coming months, I may wait.

5TB HGST Deskstar NAS - $239.99 ($10 cheaper at Jet but never used them and don't trust them)
6TB HGST Deskstar NAS - $259.00

So after reviewing the thread I linked to, I have noticed the prices have increased about $10-15 on the drives I was considering.

Does anyone who buys lots of drives or hunts for the best deals know when prices will fall?

Back