Best Tech Support // Customer Service Experiences?

sethk

2[H]4U
Hi Guys - I've been a regular if not prolific PC builder over the years (I've probably built about 15-20 PCs for myself, family and friends over the years) and since I like to think my knowledge base is adequate, and maybe because I've been lucky (or have done some rudimentary research on parts first), I haven't had to call or contact manufacturers too often. But when I have, my experience has been pretty bad.

I know most people only call for RMA and post about those experiences, but I'm also interested in what responses people have had for example when trying to find out more technical things, such as whether memory configurations were supported, whether newly released CPUs were supported or would be supported in the near future etc.

If you could post your rating on a scale of 1-10 for manufacturers of Intel CPU compatible motherboards you have personally contacted, as well as when your experience was, and what you contacted them for, it might be useful to all of us.

Here's my own experience:

Asus - 5/10. Not very responsive. Ignore 1/2 your messages. Have come through with responses regarding memory configurations eventually (sometimes months later.) Called or emailed on 3 occasions for different issues between 1999-2007. Not much has changed.

Abit - 3 - 6 / 10. Their tech support has ranged from very responsive to non-existent at different points in time 1998-2004. Not sure what its like now.

EVGA - 7.5/19. Probably one of the better companies I've dealt with. Too bad they don't really design and sell their own stuff the way Asus and Gigabyte do.

Tyan - 6/10. Not that great considering I've only called them about server stuff, with motherboards costing upto $600, and with supposedly very stable platforms (1999-2006). They do respond eventually and do have reasonably knowledgeable people answering questions, and have agreed to RMAs after the mandatory troubleshooting procedure. Used to allow cross-shipping replacement parts too.

Gigabyte - ?
DFI - ?
MSI - ?
Biostar - ?
ECS - ?
Foxconn - ?
ASRock - ?

Back