Best single tower air cooler to keep a Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU frosty (if possible)

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. So in a thread post I made in the video card section I mentioned 1 of my tech deals I got from Amazon during this year Amazon Prime Day/Week. The 2nd deal I took advantage of was nearly 50% off on an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU. Currently I'm running a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU air cooler in a Phanteks Eclipse P400A mid tower case. I'm planning on before the end of the year moving my rig out from the Eclipse P400A and moving it into a Lian Li Lancool 216 Mesh mid-tower. With that? It gives me some options for a better cooler. I got 2 in mind that are single tower (Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 and Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo Edition) and I am open to suggestions beyond the 2 coolers I mentioned. So what I'm asking here is if I was going to replace a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B single tower with another single tower cooler, are either one I mentioned here better? I've thought about dual tower CPU air coolers but I've heard about memory clearance issues with a number of them so I'd rather avoid that if I could. Thanks in advance for your advice and answers.

Dual towers really seem to be the way to go these days for high end air cooling.

Ram clearance is more of an issue with them but it's often overstated and given too much consideration. For instance I'm using a dual tower cooler(Thermalright PS 120se) that interferes with my tall ram but I had three solutions available; the best solution cooling wise and what I did was to offset the front fan by maybe a 1/4 inch, the next best solution was to move the front fan to the back, and the worst solution that is still much better than a single tower in push/pull was to remove the front fan completely and only use one in the middle.

You'd be best off checking a couple reviews to see how they all compare to each other and your current cooler and you should even be able to find different fan configurations reviewed on some of the more popular coolers. I've built a system in a p400a and I recall it being almost as deep as my full size Enthoo Luxe case despite it being much smaller but it still might not fit the tallest coolers and you might need a little more than the stated depth if you offset a fan which is worth keeping in mind if you do consider a dual tower.

I have a dark rock 4 for sale; it cooled my 5800x3d well before going water cooling. I would typically land mid 70s while gaming, low 40s high 30s while idle/browsing.

Noctua u12a is about as good as it gets for a single tower hs. Id-cooling also makes some really solid single tower coolers but I forget the model numbers. Check out techpowerup for reviews, they've got loads of them.

We moved the right side fan on our d15 up a little bit to clear 35mm ram on AM4.

I really like the Deepcool AK500, its 1/2 the price of a Noctua NH-U12S and cools just as good. I own both.

Both of these are huge single tower, but with offset heatpipes.. that eliminate any ram interference
ID-COOLING SE-226-XT
DeepCool AK500

Here is the ID-Cooling for example-
1696951805644.png

I've got a Fractal 5 and the...assassin(?) air cooler. With Path of Exile and Path of Building at full bore, my 5800X3D hovers in the mid 70s.

Both of these are huge single tower, but with offset heatpipes.. that eliminate any ram interference
ID-COOLING SE-226-XT
DeepCool AK500

Here is the ID-Cooling for example-
View attachment 604823
That looks like it could work better than most single tower coolers but it's pretty much the same footprint you'd get with most dual towers with only a fan in the center so the question then is which of those configurations would cool better.

That looks like it could work better than most single tower coolers but it's pretty much the same footprint you'd get with most dual towers with only a fan in the center so the question then is which of those configurations would cool better.

I have an AK500 and an AK620 which both support 2 fans and have the same surface area, just one is a single block and one is a dual tower. They work nearly identically.

I have an AK500 and an AK620 which both support 2 fans and have the same surface area, just one is a single block and one is a dual tower. They work nearly identically.
Yeah it looks like a beefy single tower so that's not surprising that it's in line with duals. I just mentioned it because I was surprised when I was looking at pa120se and ps120se reviews that they performed almost as well with only one fan and still outperformed the single tower coolers tested with the same footprint, this was last spring and the market isn't static so it wouldn't surprise me if that has changed.

Back